Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash cam install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on all the specs and info that I read on that link, it's functionally identical the the one I have. "
Blackvue Cloud DR650GW-2CH 64GB"

I wonder what the S will add though, I noticed in the manual you can pair multiple SSID for the wifi. This would be great so when I get home it will connect to my home's wifi but while I drive it will connect to the mifi

Ahh, that could be it!
I didn't notice that part. I concentrated on the spec page.

Contacted Blackvue, their response regarding the differences and improvements:

1. For H/W

Deduct power consumption.

Product quality upgrade.

2. For Product

Change QR Code image + Cloud Code.

3. For F/W

-New DR650S-2CH firmware.

-Additional function & option.

*Rear camera power

You can turn o power to the rear camera.

*Rear camera recording
You can enable or disable rear camera recording.

*Rear camera 180° rotation

If you installed the rear camera in a ipped position, use this setting to rotate the rear camera image.

*Push notifications during parking mode recording

*Register multiple SSID on BlackVue Cloud App

*Setting 10M bps for Front camera.

Contacted Blackvue, their response regarding the differences and improvements:

Great research - thank you for the write up. Note that you can probably buy a new model and install it in place of the old model ... without swapping out the cables.

A new model forthcoming might explain why we saw such great deals on the DR650GW-2CH recently (I purchased mine with a 128GB SSD from Amazon for $311)

Great research - thank you for the write up. Note that you can probably buy a new model and install it in place of the old model ... without swapping out the cables.

A new model forthcoming might explain why we saw such great deals on the DR650GW-2CH recently (I purchased mine with a 128GB SSD from Amazon for $311)

Say the new one is $50 more then the present model can be had for. Is it worth it? IMO I don't see enough features to warrant paying more for the new one? I have the 128gb amazon deal for $311 and its still in the box. So I could return it. How long till the new model is released?

I want to install a blackvue 650 with three questions...
1) I understand that the mirror box houses a rain sensor and a camera for auto pilot. If you mount the blackvue in front of the mirror, does it interfere with the camera?
2) If you wire it switched, would it defeat the parking mode?
3) Because the blackvue has wifi people say you can use the car screen to view the cameras. I thought video is locked out.
A little off topic, but a rain sensor is documented to be there, attached to the windshield. I guess its the large flat sensor. However, the lens looking thing is known to be a camera for auto pilot?? Or maybe daylight sensing......

I installed mine in an hour or so on Sunday.

Like others, I ran it along the channel, tucked into headliner, brought it over to the B pillar, then ran it down the a pillar and to the left of the dash. Down by the kick panel wires had already been tapped for the trailer's brake controller, so I tapped into those and was good to go.

I want to go back and run it UNDER the channel on the windshield, but for now it's running beside it. I also need to do the rear, but the car went in for clear bra install, so that'll have to wait.

I installed mine in an hour or so on Sunday.

Like others, I ran it along the channel, tucked into headliner, brought it over to the B pillar, then ran it down the a pillar and to the left of the dash. Down by the kick panel wires had already been tapped for the trailer's brake controller, so I tapped into those and was good to go.

I want to go back and run it UNDER the channel on the windshield, but for now it's running beside it. I also need to do the rear, but the car went in for clear bra install, so that'll have to wait.
When you get ready to install the rear camera how do you plan to fish the cable to the rear camera location? I understand there are a couple of ways to do it.