Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash cam install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I just realized you're a biz, and after helping me I wanted to be sure I gave you my biz.
But a little too far for me. :rolleyes:

Lots of others here from the Bay Area though looking for cams, tints etc.
Keep posting so they find you.

I had a good experience with a mobile installer in SoCal, many others on the forum already used him. Let me know if you want his contact

If you are planning on buying a dashcam, make sure you get the DR650S not the older DR650GW. I have a video and some info on that on this page: Blackvue DR650S Review + Tesla Model X Install

The wiring is the same so you can follow Brett's video for that. Also, make sure you choose the right SD card. Most of them can cause issues.

Brett, do you have the M3 reserved? Would love to see a dashcam install of that once you get your hands on one.

Maybe I will have more confidence working with my M3. I installed the BlackVue myself on the Acura but didn't on the X as I feared damaging something.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
@K-MTG, yes, I waited in line on the 31st to reserve a Model 3! I would hope that the Model 3 would be even easier to install the dashcam since it's more of a traditional style car. I guess we'll see.

I was extremely nervous before starting the dashcam installation on my Model X. I had never spent over 30k on a car before so I REALLY didn't want to screw something up. Luckily, it turned out to be fairly simple as long as I was patient and took my time. I think you can probably damage something if you try to rush through it.

Reactions: madodel and K-MTG
Mike @appearancesolutions installed the DR650 2CH for me and did an excellent job. He had the wiring run through the existing channel which was the most time consuming part but the end result is worth it..it looks like a factory install.

For the hotspot, as recommended by @K-MTG I got the Netgear Fuse from FreedomPop for $26 and no monthly for 500mb. I was playing on how to power the hotspot when car is off and found the adapter (see pic) on Amazon. Now my hotspot sits hidden behind the carpet on the driver side where Mike pulled the power. The dashcam power plugs into the cigarette lighter port on the adapter (which also has a fuse) and the hotspot plugs into the 1A USB port. Now, it's always on dashcam+hotspot=happy me :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 84
Mike @appearancesolutions installed the DR650 2CH for me and did an excellent job. He had the wiring run through the existing channel which was the most time consuming part but the end result is worth it..it looks like a factory install.

For the hotspot, as recommended by @K-MTG I got the Netgear Fuse from FreedomPop for $26 and no monthly for 500mb. I was playing on how to power the hotspot when car is off and found the adapter (see pic) on Amazon. Now my hotspot sits hidden behind the carpet on the driver side where Mike pulled the power. The dashcam power plugs into the cigarette lighter port on the adapter (which also has a fuse) and the hotspot plugs into the 1A USB port. Now, it's always on dashcam+hotspot=happy me :cool:
How long did the install take?

Following this post. I expect my Model X to arrive in about a month and I'd like to add a dash cam system. Any more advice or experience would be helpful. I'm still trying to understand which system will work best and how they've been installed.
What's your Tesla X Autopilot System? 1.0 or 2.0? i brought a customized Tesla X dash cam one month ago, i was satisfied with this dash cam, it looks like part of the original car after installed. What's more, the cool function is sensing to taking picture, viewing on your mobile phone, you can capture any pictures in your sight.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

What's your Tesla X Autopilot System? 1.0 or 2.0? i brought a customized Tesla X dash cam one month ago, i was satisfied with this dash cam, it looks like part of the original car after installed. What's more, the cool function is sensing to taking picture, viewing on your mobile phone, you can capture any pictures in your sight. View attachment 206070 View attachment 206071 View attachment 206072
is this one always on when car is parked? it seems like a much easier install based on youtube video from 007 tesla.