Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash Cam Unboxing and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really intriguing. On the one hand the easy self-installation adds value over having to pay an installer or tear your car apart yourself. The lack of a rear view camera is a negative. Reliability certainly is a concern for a direct from China product, what sort of customer support do you get it it doesn't work, etc. I think if this was $225 I'd buy in a heart beat, if it had an easy to add rear view camera as well I'd pay the list price....

And knowing my impulsive buying habits, I may end up buying it anyway once a few reviews and sample images are posted.

Yeah. I'm hovering on the edge of buying - but I was really disappointed with the image quality of a well specified dashcam replacement mirror I got off of Amazon, and this one speaking to me in Chinese at every start up would be annoying.

(And as I mentioned I'd like to record in the parking lot, and a good rear cam would be nice. Still really tempting.)

We'd have to see one installed, but the housing seems to be the same size on all Xs including the AP2 cars - a lot of it is just blanked off on older Xs. I see no reason to expect the exact shape of the lower housing to change since the new ones appear to be the same size.

As another poster wrote above, I'd really like to see the voice silenced and I'd like to have motion based recording while parked - but I love how neatly integrated this camera is.

For me, I would wait for some one to confirm compatibility with AP2 MX before purchasing.

Got this and installed. Like it so far, with a small exception: the app they recommend is 90% in Chinese, even after changing the language to English in settings. Is there a better English language app available for us non-Chinese speakers?

On the bright side, the install is seamless, love how it looks like it was there all along :D no wires sticking out, no mess.

One other thing I'm yet to figure out is how to only keep the phone connected to the cam wifi when I want to. If I don't tell my phone to forget the cam network, it connects to it every time I drive and since there's no Internet on the cam network - it's like I'm in airplane mode. Almost seems like they should have implemented wifi-direct protocol instead of the regular Access point mode.

Great job of taking the mystery out of this product as many of us have been watching it. Can you confirm whether it starts recording when it has power automatically or do you need to remember to press record each time you use it. For me, I'd rather it just record all the time when it has power. Why? This would help when parking attendance park the car.

Great job of taking the mystery out of this product as many of us have been watching it. Can you confirm whether it starts recording when it has power automatically or do you need to remember to press record each time you use it. For me, I'd rather it just record all the time when it has power. Why? This would help when parking attendance park the car.

It starts recording when you enter the car and stop recording when you exit the car, which basically means it only records when there's power.