Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dash Cam Unboxing and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every day or every time you shutdown the car? My earlier testing indicated (still back on Chinese firmwaare) good 24 hours+ of retention of the date once you sync with the phone.
If you have English firmware - shutdown the car, if the dashcam says "goodbye" - you need to contact the seller about this, they might give you a new firmware or they might just send you a new cam with updated firmware. Updated firmware confusingly says "video recording on" on shutdown.

I think time stamp resets the next day. Will test if it says goodbye. It does speak English though. And my photos are blurry on the bottom half.

IMG20160101-000834F.jpeg

Every day or every time you shutdown the car? My earlier testing indicated (still back on Chinese firmwaare) good 24 hours+ of retention of the date once you sync with the phone.
If you have English firmware - shutdown the car, if the dashcam says "goodbye" - you need to contact the seller about this, they might give you a new firmware or they might just send you a new cam with updated firmware. Updated firmware confusingly says "video recording on" on shutdown.

I can confirm that my cam does say "goodbye" when powered down.

What firmware you have?

IMG_1425.PNG

I can confirm that my cam does say "goodbye" when powered down.

What firmware you have?

View attachment 227453
I just did another test and my new one also does say goodbye, oh well. Apparently disconnectign phone from it messed the messages up the previous time
Anyway new one is at 1310, old was at 1308. At 1308 the loss of date was instant - i.e. reformat sdcard, take a snapshot, turn off car, wait 2 minutes, turn it back on, take a snapshot, connect cellphone, and see a picture from 1969. I made a snapshot like that, sent it to the seller and they were adamant it's just bad hardware and insisted on sending me a new one that did perform better (also a different firmware build, but I cannot control for that). The previous camera did arrive with Chinese firmware, I think (but not 100% sure).

Does anyone have any clue why my picture is little tilted to the left? I've made sure it's sitting properly and there are no gaps.

Mine is also tilted, but not as much (drew a horizontal straight line to show). You might want to contact your seller if it bothers you too much I guess. You might also try to pull the external case apart and ty to rotate the camera a bit, it also might work.

shot0004.jpg

Also for a good measure a picture of a dash reflection in my old ICE car (on a blackvue camera at that). It was equally bad during a sunny day, just something I had handy.
shot0001.jpg

Mine is also tilted, but not as much (drew a horizontal straight line to show). You might want to contact your seller if it bothers you too much I guess. You might also try to pull the external case apart and ty to rotate the camera a bit, it also might work.

I did already contact the seller. They don't have a clue either. They told me to change the resolution to 1080p, which does not make sense.

There are basically two possibilities then. The camera is tilted within the external case (I have 3 due to RMAs and never noticed any significant tilt, I also looked at the one I opened and apparently you cannot tilt it that much because the sdcard slot extrudes and you won't be able to insert the card in if it's too tilted) or if your camera assembly behind the windshield is somehow shifted/tilted, I guess?
The ap system has internal calibration to correct for various installation imperfections, unfortunately they don't really make this information public, you an take a look and see if it happens to look out of whack, I guess.

You can detach the camera and feed it 12V on a level surface (red wire = +12V, black wire, the third wire leave unconnected) and see if the picture is still tilted - then you probably can take apart the case (just pull it apart and it opens, pretty easy) and try to rotate the camera a bit if you cannot get anywhere with the seller.
I am surprised how good of a support I got from the seller I was dealing with.

I think I was able to silence the Chinese voice (there's an option in the App camera setup that's something like "turn off notification" that I think did it.) If not, then the fact that the X wakes up when I walk up to it has prevented me from actually hearing the voice so far (might be speaking before I get in the car.)
I am using the cam since one year and have - besides not knowing how to get the app back on my iOS device - not managed to get the Chinese Voice to mute.
Can you pls explain how/where to get the app and how to mute the voice(?)
Thank you, Axel

I am using the cam since one year and have - besides not knowing how to get the app back on my iOS device - not managed to get the Chinese Voice to mute.
Can you pls explain how/where to get the app and how to mute the voice(?)
Thank you, Axel

The app is in the App Store, search for AIT smart cam. I'm not sure I can expand much on the voice. In the app, there's a section for camera settings. I told it to turn off notifications in there, and that seems to have silenced the voice.

Btw, Does anybody have any samples video from Topfit X AP2 dashcam? Is it better than IRO?
I believe there are just 2 built-in dashcams on the market right now: Topfit and IRO. Both Chinese and I have no idea which one is a better choice.

I think mine is topfit.

Box during the day

Box - a bunch during the night.

glare is a real problem as the grille at teh bottom reflects with this fine mesh that steals a lot of bitrate from the picture, I wish there was a way to tell the cam to cut a bunch of bottom pixels.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leo Snow