Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, Dec 2017 build, 25k miles. Crazy haze on windshield that will not come off. What could be causing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently having an issue on my Model X, Dec 2017 build with 25k miles. There is an awful haze that just will not come off no matter what we try.

I have two distinct and different problem areas. One is the edges all the way around. This looks like a pattern from where the windshield was sealed and placed and is more defined. The second is much more broad and covers most of the surface of the windshield and all the way up to the top. On this you can see uniform crosshatched lines, like roller marks. Both these areas have similar properties of appearing to be within the glass itself. It's not a fog that fluctuates with temp or humidity changes. It's equally bad all the time and looks downright ridiculous in the right sunlight.

At first glance it appears to be on the outer surface. Wetting and cleaning looks like it will help at first as it masks the haze momentarily. But it inevitably comes right back after a few seconds and looks exactly the same. Same pattern, same stipple marks even. No amount of scrubbing, cleaning, or scraping has any effect. It's as if the issue is IN the glass.

Tesla Service Center says it's not defective and won't cover under warranty, that it would require a $1600 out of pocket replacement. I strongly believe it's defective.

Their "best detail guy" tried steel wool and some chemicals with no results. Said there's nothing they can do. They believe it came from some kind of windshield cover or something that was held in place by adhesive, which sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I did buy the car with 11k miles, so I cannot vouch for what may or may not have happened at the beginning of its life. But if it were adhesive residue, then by nature it would be affixed to the surface. In that case it should be able to be manipulated, wiped off, scraped off, something. This is not that. It literally feels like there is nothing there.

I then took it back to the place that did my ceramic coat. They said they've never seen anything like it and it's definitely not a result of the ceramic coat. They tried a clay bar, glass polish, and a buffer with no results.

My best guess is that these are from some sort of vapor or gas that has somehow collected inside the glass. The issue on the edges looks like a vapor that originated with a sealant or adhesive bead. I have no idea where the rest of the haze could have originated.

I'm at a loss here and have better things to spend $1600 on than a stupid defective windshield. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or what could be causing it? Or who to talk to at Tesla that could make a more reasonable decision?

Attachments

• 20210824_154512.jpg
    20210824_154512.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 20210824_124957.jpg
    20210824_124957.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210824_124619.jpg
    20210824_124619.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20210824_124609.jpg
    20210824_124609.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 160
Try polishing it first. My Windshield was a mess from factory. So was my Model 3. I use Griots polish. See link below. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it try a good detailer. It was when I got a car detailed (to sell it once) that I realized how crappy the glass was the whole time I owned it. It felt like I had no windshield after detailer properly restored it. And this car had a 110k miles. He didn’t charge anything extra on windshield either.

Yes I also think there is some fault in the manufacturing process. There is a thin "plastic" layer between the two glasses, and sometimes this can be faulty depending on pressure and temperature in the process.
I had very small "bubbles"all over in my windshield , very annoying in sunlight. The car was new and Tesla replaced it under warranty.

Try polishing it first. My Windshield was a mess from factory. So was my Model 3. I use Griots polish. See link below. If you don’t feel comfortable doing it try a good detailer. It was when I got a car detailed (to sell it once) that I realized how crappy the glass was the whole time I owned it. It felt like I had no windshield after detailer properly restored it. And this car had a 110k miles. He didn’t charge anything extra on windshield either.

We have tried multiple cleaning agents including polish. Nothing done on the surface has any effect on how the haze looks. The Tesla rep and my go-to detailer have both tried what they could, but to no avail. It is something within the glass.

Reactions: mswlogo
Yes I also think there is some fault in the manufacturing process. There is a thin "plastic" layer between the two glasses, and sometimes this can be faulty depending on pressure and temperature in the process.
I had very small "bubbles"all over in my windshield , very annoying in sunlight. The car was new and Tesla replaced it under warranty.
Do you happen to have photos of yours? My next step is to try to move up the chain at Tesla a bit and I would like to arm myself with all of the information that I can, that there have been known defects that have been replaced under warranty. What was your model and build date?

Ask a windshield place what the "cash" price is to replace the windshield, then decide if you want to foot the bill to make the problem go away.
The only place you can get a Tesla windshield, is from Tesla. I stopped by a Satellite shop for a price, and they advised they called Tesla for the price and availability, which where they go to get it. Then they send the car back over there to get the cameras aligned. With all of those shenanigans, I just decided to have Tesla replace it. Usually in stock. $1,061 parts, $420 labor, plus tax, for the last one I bought. Besides, it is one more chance to whine about the crap you can't get off the glass. You might catch a break and get them to cover it.

The only place you can get a Tesla windshield, is from Tesla. I stopped by a Satellite shop for a price, and they advised they called Tesla for the price and availability, which where they go to get it. Then they send the car back over there to get the cameras aligned. With all of those shenanigans, I just decided to have Tesla replace it. Usually in stock. $1,061 parts, $420 labor, plus tax, for the last one I bought. Besides, it is one more chance to whine about the crap you can't get off the glass. You might catch a break and get them to cover it.
I'm a little surprised that it wasn't $1,069 in parts + $420 labor.

I suspect I'll probably go this route. It would make me feel better about the situation if they even agreed to cover half or something.

My previous X had a similar issue, though not as bad as yours. Normally I don’t see it but when it rains and I use the windshield wiper the haze became very obvious. It drove me nuts in the rain, and luckily that’s not something that happened frequently in CA. That car ended up being repurchased by Tesla due to FWD issue. My replacement X did not have the same problem. I can totally understand your frustration as I tried everything to wipe off that crap without success.

Do you happen to have photos of yours? My next step is to try to move up the chain at Tesla a bit and I would like to arm myself with all of the information that I can, that there have been known defects that have been replaced under warranty. What was your model and build date?
My X is Raven 2019 built in beginning of june. The photos i have are not so good, It is difficult to judge the problem from them,it is
IMG_20190926_170400984.jpg
IMG_20190926_170400984.jpg
better to see in reality in direct sunlight.