Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X December Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the fam!

Please take the time to post pics and a review of your pickup experience, build, quality, etc.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I do not have any photos but I figured I would share my pickup experiences.
Oh wow @pchengMX what other additions did you add to your car? Mine is still in production as well, thinking mine might be weird cause I'm in CA and requested the Subzero package. Someone else told me it's the addition of the towing package? I'm not really sure what's causing the hold up.

Just to chime in... The delay shouldn't be the towing package. I'm in California and I just picked up my car Friday with a tow package.

Not to be Debbie Downer and I hope yours do arrive without issues, but my car was in production exactly 30 days as well and pristine it did not come.
Awe, man! I was afraid of that. Tesla has a high tolerance on issues and I suspect they will only repair glaring problems prior to shipping.
I'm afraid to ask but will anyway; can you tell us about your MX problems? Were you ever told what held your car in production?

Hey guys, keep the faith. After mine came out of production and I got word it was being shipped it was only a couple of days before my DS notified me of a selection of days we could choose from for delivery. It goes quick. We could have picked it up this past Thursday but deferred to this Tuesday so my wife could recoup somewhat from her latest round of chemo. You're getting close, guys, so chin up.
Thanks for the report! All the best to your wife.

I haven't been given a date beyond Dec 28-Jan 11. Is your car on it's way yet? Mine wasn't as of last week.

My car was on its way as of last week. Last night DS said it had reached New Mexico on the train to Chicago. The estimated delivery dates are Dec. 27-Jan. 10. They wanted to know if I could take delivery between Christmas and New Years which I said I could accommodate. This may have factored in to the quick shipping given the end of quarter delivery rush. I pre-booked delivery on Dec. 27 but DS though that may be on the early side.

My order:
X 60D
AP 2.0 Full autonomy
MC Red
Accessory Hitch
Free Black Interior
Basic 20" Wheel
11/18 entered production (Still in production...)
Pick up in Fremont factory

I have contacted the DS multiple times and during the last phone call he promised it will be delivered by December. I highly doubted it and I am getting really frustrated...can anyone provide any possible reason for the delay of my MX?
Full story here: Disappointed Experience and Priority Production Messed Me Up

My order:
X 60D
AP 2.0 Full autonomy
MC Red
Accessory Hitch
Free Black Interior
Basic 20" Wheel
11/18 entered production (Still in production...)
Pick up in Fremont factory

I have contacted the DS multiple times and during the last phone call he promised it will be delivered by December. I highly doubted it and I am getting really frustrated...can anyone provide any possible reason for the delay of my MX?
Full story here: Disappointed Experience and Priority Production Messed Me Up
The Fremont/CA pickup is likely the reason they have it later in the queue. Here is how I have explained it to folks: At the beginning of the quarter Tesla starts producing vehicles based on how far away they are from the factory (primary factor) and other factors like parts availability, etc. The goal is to deliver (and get paid for) as many vehicles as possible in a single quarter. Overseas first, then cross country, etc. that way the first vehicles get to where they need to be before the quarter is over.

Since you are picking up from the factory I would imagine your delivery will be really close to the end of the year - like the last week in the quarter. Just know they want to sell as many vehicles as they can this year. Fingers crossed yours comes out of production soon.

The Fremont/CA pickup is likely the reason they have it later in the queue. Here is how I have explained it to folks: At the beginning of the quarter Tesla starts producing vehicles based on how far away they are from the factory (primary factor) and other factors like parts availability, etc. The goal is to deliver (and get paid for) as many vehicles as possible in a single quarter. Overseas first, then cross country, etc. that way the first vehicles get to where they need to be before the quarter is over.

Since you are picking up from the factory I would imagine your delivery will be really close to the end of the year - like the last week in the quarter. Just know they want to sell as many vehicles as they can this year. Fingers crossed yours comes out of production soon.

The part that makes little sense to me is my X has already entered production on 11/18 and based on what I read from this forum it just took 1 to 2 week for the whole production process (assuming all parts are ready and I suppose that's the case for my X). If they are planning to deliver my X at the end of December, then why does it bother to make production early and let the vehicle sit in the factory? Also I have requested multiple times about early December delivery for my wife's birthday but now it's long past her birthday and I doubt if I can give her as a Christmas gift on boxing day...

The part that makes little sense to me is my X has already entered production on 11/18 and based on what I read from this forum it just took 1 to 2 week for the whole production process (assuming all parts are ready and I suppose that's the case for my X). If they are planning to deliver my X at the end of December, then why does it bother to make production early and let the vehicle sit in the factory? Also I have requested multiple times about early December delivery for my wife's birthday but now it's long past her birthday and I doubt if I can give her as a Christmas gift on boxing day...
That part is a total mystery to me. Mine started production on 11/25 and should arrive here this week in Atlanta. Nobody has a lot of insight on what bottlenecks there are on the production line (please share if you do), but that is my best guess. They may be prioritizing at the various bottlenecks in the production cycle and have a bunch of cars just waiting to finish based on the order they are being delivered in. Could even be that the car is finished and the final QA is the bottleneck. Also heard elsewhere the options may matter (like the hitch) but some are getting them with the hitch now despite that theory.

Hopefully you get it very soon and this wait will be a distant memory.

That part is a total mystery to me. Mine started production on 11/25 and should arrive here this week in Atlanta. Nobody has a lot of insight on what bottlenecks there are on the production line (please share if you do), but that is my best guess. They may be prioritizing at the various bottlenecks in the production cycle and have a bunch of cars just waiting to finish based on the order they are being delivered in. Could even be that the car is finished and the final QA is the bottleneck. Also heard elsewhere the options may matter (like the hitch) but some are getting them with the hitch now despite that theory.

Hopefully you get it very soon and this wait will be a distant memory.

When a car is stuck in production for weeks, it usually have quality issues. if there is a paint defect, it is easily take an additional 2 weeks in the body shop for repair.

That makes me worry about the quality of my car and any advice on the common problems that I need to be aware of when I pick up the X?
I'm right behind you. I asked for a late November delivery. You are in the same boat as a few of us. @hollywood @ming and I are running what seems to be longer than usual production time. As for @hollywood if this theory is true about quality issues I highly doubt it takes that long to correct mind as well build a brand new car in that case matter.

As far as things you can do to see current things to look out for there is a check off list once you are ready to pick up. If you don't like the quality you can always reject the vehicle from my understanding....

Awe, man! I was afraid of that. Tesla has a high tolerance on issues and I suspect they will only repair glaring problems prior to shipping.
I'm afraid to ask but will anyway; can you tell us about your MX problems? Were you ever told what held your car in production?

I was quite disappointed in the experience as a whole. The tour seemed really rushed and they seemed to be only concerned with getting people out of there to be honest. In fact I was the only one in my pickup group that really stuck around and checked the car. The assistant that helped bring me to my car and show me the functions seemed to know less about the car than I did. My white interior was quite dirty and I had to have them wipe most of the seats to make sure they weren't stains. The thing that really bugged me was when I saw a few fitment and alignment issues and brought it up to the person in charge there, I was told that it was "within specs" and that "they may have done that on purpose". They eventually agreed to have a service center look at it and I was on my way. On the plus side, the service center contacted me almost right away and I have an appointment to show them the problems. We will see how it goes. It just seems to me that they aren't really interested in fixing any of the Quality Assurance issues and try to push everything off as being normal. I left there feeling like it's supposed to be a privledge to own a Tesla and I have no right to complain about a $150k car that is not perfect. It could be that I'm overly sensitive but I feel that if I spent that much on any other luxury brand that they would be willing to fix these issues no question. Perhaps I'm being naive. I hope you have a better experience.

Also, I haven't really been following the other thread but I can confirm that the ghosting problem is still there.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire and ahtlys
If it takes a couple weeks for paint issues, that could be one of the issues since it's multicoat red. Being a performance car, possibly some unique parts on shortage as another concern. DS said he would check with production and get back to me on details. We'll see this week.

Essentially they said I'll have it by end of December per DS and stockholders hah!

My vin is 19K. I ordered it back in August and as soon as it confirmed they issued my vin. I delayed the order until Nov hoping to get 2.0. Mission accomplished!!!! I find it hard to believe that mine would be any different than the rest of them that were built at the same time. They were mostly all above 22K when mine hit the line. Someone thought the difference was the curved area on the left and right side of the 3rd row down by your feet. I believe it was curved on pre 22K and straight on post 22K. I'll check mine in the morning.
IMG_3553.JPG
As you can see the mat is curved and the area by the wheel well is straight. Even though my vin is pre-22k, it was built after they hit 22k so mine is the same. It should say built after a certain date. So it's not really a big deal to get the mats for a post 22k X.

I think a majority of us just keep checking their MyTesla account or they went by their e-mail. If Tesla was on track you would have gotten a e-mail that said your vehicle has gone into production... @hollywood... mine has been 14 days now....

Ah! That explains it! I have never received a single email from the Tesla mothership. The only communication I have ever received is by phone call from someone at Tesla about the whole coil suspension cluster bleep and then once I agreed kicking and screaming to go with SUS I then started hearing from the DS. Since I never received any emails about when production of our X75D started I have no idea how long it was in production. Been told that production is complete and just waiting for car to be shipped and delivered.

So on the topic of delivery I was over in the area of the service center here in San Diego this afternoon while running over to Harbor Freight Tools and thought I would swing by the service center see if there happened to be any Model X's that matched out order. There were quite a few freshly shipped Model S's sitting around all encased in their deliver white plastic coverings. And while I did not see any Model X that matched my order (grey/white) there were a few others including a grey Model X 75D with black interior. Took a few pics...

Attachments

• tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161907009_HDR796672833.jpg
    tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161907009_HDR796672833.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 55
  • tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161916871_HDR1317073867.jpg
    tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161916871_HDR1317073867.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 53
  • tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161855437-1291396326.jpg
    tmp_12749-IMG_20161218_161855437-1291396326.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 59
View attachment 206490
As you can see the mat is curved and the area by the wheel well is straight. Even though my vin is pre-22k, it was built after they hit 22k so mine is the same. It should say built after a certain date. So it's not really a big deal to get the mats for a post 22k X.
Good to know. Picking up my X next week in Austin but the 6 seat floor mats are never available online. Any other way to get it?

I picked up my X last Monday so this is my 7 day mark. I should have updated the thread on my delivery before this but it's been a crazy week. Anyway, as context:

- Ordered Oct 18
- 5 days "In Production"
- 4 days "In Transit/Final Preparation"
- Factory pickup.

We got to the factory at 4:00 and my 8yo and I went on the tour while my wife waited with our 4yo who was too small. The tour ended at 5 and our DS (who was not the same person as on MyTesla) informed us that he'd found some issues with the driver's side window and that they were working on it. They had pulled a stock model (same feature set) into the showroom to show us around on and so we got the walk around tour there. Mostly a waste of time, sadly, given that I've read the manual, but we were waiting for the car anyway and I learned a few things.

We ended up going back into the showroom to wait and the car wasn't ready until 6:40! At this point my kids needed dinner (and were generally a bored mess) and so we ended up taking delivery of the car in the dark, pulled up in front of the showroom, sight (literally) unseen. Not the best delivery experience by a long shot!

It turns out we lucked out for the most part. The FWDs are not perfectly aligned but that was never going to really bug me. There's some bad wind noise on the driver's side that I suspect is related to whatever they were trying to fix, but otherwise the finish and assembly seem good and there are no glaring scratching/issues.

In hindsight we realized that we should have done two things differently:
- Take delivery during the day while the kids were in school.
- Do the factory tour (which is the only reason kids were there) later.

I realize this doesn't apply to a lot of you who are not local to Fremont or have kids, but FWIW that's what I wish I had known. I haven't yet reached out to either of my DS about the experience or issues but will this week and I'll let you know how they handle it.