Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Deep Sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife attempted to drive to appointments she had and the car would not respond. The battery had 211 miles left, but the screen was blank and the driver's display said, "System is powering up. Press brake when this message disappears."
She had to take our 2003 T-Bird and when she came home hours later, the same message was there. I told her to call Roadside assistance for advice. They were very helpful and told her it was in a "Deep Sleep" and to push and hold both scroll wheels until it came on. It worked. Normally she asks a gazillion questions (like when we go out to eat...), but she couldn't remember what the reason was for this. Does anyone know?

My wife attempted to drive to appointments she had and the car would not respond. The battery had 211 miles left, but the screen was blank and the driver's display said, "System is powering up. Press brake when this message disappears."
She had to take our 2003 T-Bird and when she came home hours later, the same message was there. I told her to call Roadside assistance for advice. They were very helpful and told her it was in a "Deep Sleep" and to push and hold both scroll wheels until it came on. It worked. Normally she asks a gazillion questions (like when we go out to eat...), but she couldn't remember what the reason was for this. Does anyone know?

If the car goes to sleep that boot message is normal. However, there is a known issue that it has trouble waking up.

It might be worthwhile to take a moment to read the entire manual, there are a few tips and tricks in there. One is rebooting the main computer by pressing both scroll wheels. The other is pressing both up buttons to reset the instrument cluster.

Also things like what to do when the fob battery dies.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Left my car at SeaTac for a week during the bitter cold in Seattle last month and had this happen. I was curious why the Tesla app wasn’t reporting car details anymore on the last day and a half of my trip (flash to all the worst thoughts you can have while across the country from your X!).

Anyway, I saw that message and let the system do it’s boot up thing (I think I did the scroll wheel reboot too) which took a few minutes but didn’t know about the known bug that it has trouble waking up. Had that happened, I would have been very concerned as well.

I didn’t post, but now that I think about it I wonder why more people didn’t experience it during the cold snap in Canada and the East Coast recently? Maybe it only happened to me because I wasn’t plugged in...

• Helpful
Reactions: Doctt
It happened twice this week already. The 2nd time was actually with my wife sitting in the car waiting and it went into deep sleep. She started to call me and when we were on the phone, the center screen rebooted on its own. And it is not cold at all here...but it was raining hard yesterday not sure if that makes any difference.

This happened to me last weekend after the temps had gone below 0(F). I attempted to warm up the car remotely with the app and the app couldn’t connect to my car. When I got to the garage the main screen didn’t wake up and cthe climate and audio systems would not turn on until i held both buttons and let everything reset.

I was certainly glad the car was at home and plugged in because once it finally woke up the car said it was charging, but never showed at what rate or how long it had left to charge, about 20 minutes later the app said it was fully charged and all was well after that

Well now I’m slightly concerned.

This happened to me again. Parked outside at 8:30 pm and it was in the mid 40s F. Played soccer and the car was asleep when I got back to it at 10:30 pm.The drive from my house, where the car was plugged in, to the filed was about 20 mins so the battery was I assume nice and toasty.

Don’t quite get why I’d go into deep sleep after only andrew hours outside in moderately cold temps?

Well now I’m slightly concerned.

This happened to me again. Parked outside at 8:30 pm and it was in the mid 40s F. Played soccer and the car was asleep when I got back to it at 10:30 pm.The drive from my house, where the car was plugged in, to the filed was about 20 mins so the battery was I assume nice and toasty.

Don’t quite get why I’d go into deep sleep after only andrew hours outside in moderately cold temps?
Mine does the same thing when I have late night outings. I think it assumes that you've arrived and your destination and don't plan to drive again till morning, based on the late hour. Not sure if it using some default time for everyone, or if it tries to use some AI to determine when you usually stop driving for the day. You could simply select "Keep Climate On" to prevent it from happening.

The car always try to sleep if the power saving is on. If you don't like that, just turn it off.

Also in rare cases it shows boot up message for a long time. It only takes 30 seconds to boot, even the power save is on and always connected off. So after 30-ish seconds, keep pressing the brake and put it into D mode. It usually works. If it doesn't, you need to reboot the dash by pressing both sides of UPPER buttons on the steering. That would take up to a minute, but after that you should be able to drive without any issues.