Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delayed until Q3 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If memory serves me correctly, the Model S concept debuted in March 2009 and the first deliveries came through in June 2012 (3 years, 3 months). The Model X concept debuted in February 2012 and now, at the earliest, deliveries will begin in July 2015 (3 years, 5 months). That makes the time period between concept and production longer for the Model X than for the S. Is it just me that finds this weird? You'd think they could get some efficiencies from the Model S.

Here's the quote from the 2014 Q3 Shareholder Letter:

"Work continues on the finalization of Model X with the testing of Alpha prototypes and initial builds of the first Beta prototypes. Model X powertrain development is almost complete with the early introduction of Dual Motor drive on Model S. We recently decided to build in significantly more validation testing time to achieve the best Model X possible. This will also allow for a more rapid production ramp compared to Model S in 2012.

In anticipation of this effort, we now expect Model X deliveries to start in Q3 of 2015, a few months later than previously expected. This also is a legitimate criticism of Tesla – we prefer to forgo revenue, rather than bring a product to market that does not delight customers. Doing so negatively affects the short term, but positively affects the long term. There are many other companies that do not follow this philosophy that may be a more attractive home for investor capital. Tesla is not going to change."

After SeekingAlpha posts the transcript, we can add Elon's remarks when an analyst asked about it.

I have no reason to cancel my P83 reservation. As a stockholder, I'm really happy they've already introduced the "D" for people that just wanted 4x4 and didn't care about an SUV.

The only positive I can think of is perhaps this means we'll see larger battery(s) at Model X introduction?

Update: Elon was just asked: "How confident are you in delivering in 2015 the Model X orders that have already been placed?"

Elon: "With respect to Model X, realistically, if they're ordering right now, their car is going to get delivered in early 2016. So we're essentially sold out of 2015."

Model X on the website now says:

"DELIVERY ESTIMATE FOR NEW RESERVATIONS IS EARLY 2016"

Investors don't seem to care our Model X's are delayed yet again, as the stock is up 6.62% in the after market at the moment.

Now Elon says: "The Model X isn't necessary to get us to the Model 3... We're kind of making the Model X in the meantime... The Model X is going to be something special... It's something that should exist."

- - - Updated - - -

i will surely be cancelling my Model X reservation, we were trying to time it with my Range Rover lease expiration.

Maybe we will just get another Ranger Rover.

I've never leased a Ranger Rover, but with Mercedes, their captive leasing company does extend leases for up to 6 months, so you might want to ask them.

Last edited:
I don't think the latest delay will impact my desired November 2015 delivery date. If anything, it decreases the likelihood that I will have to postpone delivery from the earliest available date. If more people drop out, it only moves everyone up the list that much faster and minimizes the actual amount of delay.

I think this is the last straw for me. I decided to update battery on my Leaf for about $6000 instead of waiting for ever delaying Model X.
After all, as my wife pointed out, it makes no sense for our family to own a huge VAN-like car with a short range and a lack of roof rack. It's not working for a daily chores because of the size and quite useless for the biking/ski trips because of the range.
I am going to keep reservation alive for some time, I made more then 5K on Tesla stock (coincidentally shorts were more profitable), but purchasing it, as I see it at this moment, is out of questions.

That makes the time period between concept and production longer for the Model X than for the S. Is it just me that finds this weird? You'd think they could get some efficiencies from the Model S.

I also find this odd, because a lot of the components (battery, inverter, motors, control software) should have commonality with Model S.

The unibody for Model X is obviously different, and I don't know how much the suspension needed to be changed to accommodate extra mass.

Seems like this will affect sigs more than genprod assuming this is true: "This will also allow for a more rapid production ramp compared to Model S in 2012."

Disappointed but absolutely keeping my reservation. Hoping for July 2015 delivery as I have travel plans in August in it!!

I don't think the latest delay will impact my desired November 2015 delivery date. If anything, it decreases the likelihood that I will have to postpone delivery from the earliest available date. If more people drop out, it only moves everyone up the list that much faster and minimizes the actual amount of delay.

I am naive. I am an early adopter. I don't have a Leaf, or a Range Rover...or a car. I am in New York for a year, riding public transportation. It would have been very convenient for my Model X to be waiting for me in my driveway when I got back home. Tesla was unaware of this and made a business decision that they knew would be unpopular to do what was both best for Tesla and best for adoption of EV's worldwide. If you give up your Model X reservation because Tesla decided to do what was best for Tesla and for widespread adoption of EV's worldwide, then maybe you should settle for ICE technology for the rest of your life. Cancel your reservation, many....millions eventually, will fill your place, and I will get my X sooner.

Last edited:
I feel like I always do when this kind of news surfaces: I completely understand where Tesla is coming from, but I wish their communication were better. As reservation holder 12xxx I have no idea if and how this affects me. Should I expect it in late 2015 as initially promised since the ramp up will be faster? Or should I expect it in 2016, as Elon said was the case for new orders when the tally was about 1,000 after me (after which Tesla sort of took those words back, and now seems to be reinstating them)?

I've relayed this to Tesla and they were good about calling me back, but their rep didn't have an answer either (other than a vague sentence I could find myself on the web site).

Earlier today, before I'd heard this news, a group of dads on my son's hockey team were quizzing me about my X reservation and when it might materialise. My response was "maybe a year or so from now, if I'm lucky". So nothing's really changed. Maybe if enough people decide to cancel or switch to the D I'll get it a little sooner.

Regardless, whenever it does arrive, it'll be awesome :D

I'm w/ the other WA owners. If the tax exemption is not extended, I will probably cancel the Sig X. Either drop to a regular production X, wait for a used one, or change it to a Sig 3 reservation.

In the meantime we're buying a used P85+. That should make the wait much more palatable.

I still think that Tesla sees no urgency for the X at all since they are most likely still production constrained on batteries, and they continue to see accelerating demand for the S.

The reason they announced the X so early in relation to its ever slipping delivery date is that when they announced the X, they thought Model S demand would top out at 20,000 units per year. Well, here we are at 35,000 units this year with no end in sight. There are no extra batteries for X.

Who knows, maybe we won't see the X until the gigafactory comes on line, unless the Model 3 takes all battery production...

Seems like this will affect sigs more than genprod assuming this is true: "This will also allow for a more rapid production ramp compared to Model S in 2012."

Disappointed but absolutely keeping my reservation. Hoping for July 2015 delivery as I have travel plans in August in it!!

In my experience when companies that habitually slip dates announce "Q3 2015", it means: "Don't get your hopes up for anything before September 30". :tongue:

p.s. Can someone explain why I can't post 2 separate replies to 2 different posts without having them automatically welded together?