Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delayed until Q3 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who missed the live feed, the conference call transcript is up on Seeking Alpha now with Elon's comments on the latest (hopefully the last!!!) Model X delay and how it will be so awesome and worth the wait. This is the "single page view" version so you can search for "Model X" to save time:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2647055-tesla-motors-tsla-ceo-elon-musk-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

You can also listen to a recording of the call or read the shareholder letter here:

http://ir.teslamotors.com/eventdetail.cfm?EventID=151746

Tesla you have to show us something to convince us to keep waiting for the Model X.

The shareholder letter that Tesla released yesterday stated that early Model X Betas are in production. We should see spy photos soon if the Betas go out on public roads.

I think at the moment, they'd be perfectly happy to have people jump ship to the Model S. I doubt they're going to show us anything for the time being.

Some people are losing patience though. Many Tesla loyalists will wait, but delays of this length won't go over well when Tesla launches high-volume products in the future.

I'm w/ the other WA owners. If the tax exemption is not extended, I will probably cancel the Sig X. Either drop to a regular production X, wait for a used one, or change it to a Sig 3 reservation.

In the meantime we're buying a used P85+. That should make the wait much more palatable.

Where were you two weeks ago when I was selling mine? :)

The most frustrating thing to me isn't a delay of three months, but the fact that it has been delayed over and over again. From the time some of us reserved in February 2012 to the most recent estimate of Q3 2015 represents a 100% increase in the wait time originally promised, and that assumes they actually deliver in Q3. After being delayed over and over and over again, it is beginning to feel like vaporware. At this point, I'm wondering if they won't end up delaying it yet another year in order to get the extra batteries from the Gigafactory. Ugh.

No one seems to have patience anymore. If you think about what is happening here with Tesla you need to get some perspective, this is a new company and the fact that they are still in business is amazing. We see what an incredible car they are producing and now see the volume and assume they have been around forever. No one wants to wait for anything, we must have it now and although I would like to get my Model X sooner rather than later, I will wait. All good things will eventually come to those that are patient. Just be happy that there is a company called Tesla and a person named Elon. Without him we would have to drive something that is a compromise if we want an all electric car.

I heard Elon say several times in the call that they need work on not being so perfection driven. Maybe he is slowly taking some constructive criticisms in and understanding he will have to release his new kid into the wild, perfect or not.......

My first reaction was I need to forget about the X and get an S and then maybe add an X in a few years. But then reality hits me that A) the S does not fit our needs (want to be able to travel with future kids, #1 is arriving Feb '15 and our two dogs along with a bunch of luggage) and B) for me getting both an S and an X is not a wise financial decision. We really only need 1 long distance EV, the other just needs to be a commuter car. I read through the thread on here about dogs in the Model S and every single picture implies they would take up the entire trunk area, leaving only the frunk for luggage given we will have a car seat in one of the back seats. With the X we could have the dogs in the third row, luggage behind that and in the frunk ...

So it seems that the best move for me will be to buy or lease another LEAF in June '15 when my current lease expires, then have the X replace our ICE instead of replacing the LEAF. Hopefully the Model 3 can eventually replace the new LEAF.

To those saying this is a 3 month delay, that is incorrect. There has been a 1 year delay ('13 -> '14), a 3 month delay ('14 -> Q1 '15), and now this is a 6 month delay (Q1 '15 -> Q3 '15). And with such a large delay, it is easy to assume Q3 could slide into Q4 ...

The other option is buying an S (used or Showroom/demo) and then selling it when the x comes.

There is no lack of demand and I don't see a reduction in demand for an S in the near future.

Both of my P85s sold for more than I bought them for, (sold privately, bought from Tesla originally)

Looking forward to getting a p85d while waiting for an X Performance

I can understand why people are upset. We are all kids waiting for Xmas and who wouldn't be disappointed to see Xmas delayed! On my side I am getting a Tesla, it's a fact. I currently hold Model X reservation #562 in Canada, so December 2015/January 2016 is probably realistic. The thing that kills me at the moment is the lack of information we are having. Elon said that the Model X will be something that has to exist. Why? I don't know and it's what I'd like to know to make a call on what I should do. I want an EV more than an SUV. So the Model S85D would do the job for me, but I can't convince myself to abandon my X reservation in fear that I might regret it when the final prototype will be out. If the only special thing about the X are the falcon doors, I might go for a Model S. If there is something else, then I'd like to know. Elon said that they wanted more time to test everything. To me it sounds like the shopping list for Model X is done and they are only looking at reliability. If I'm right, why not give more information about it? I think it would please the reservation holders and it would help the wait... Of course they don't have to do that; the Model X demand is much greater than the offer. But it would be nice... and since I can't be the only one in this situation, it could turn Model X reservations into Model S sales. It would be a win/win situation for both Tesla and their customers.

Or there are still things being developed for Model X that could not make the final cut, but at this stage I doubt it... Still they could tell us what WILL make the cut (beside the Falcon doors and dual motor).

Both of my P85s sold for more than I bought them for, (sold privately, bought from Tesla originally)

If that's a true statement, that's way out of the normal experience and should not be relied upon. Take our Model S for example. 2013 S85 purchased for high 80s with 21k miles. Tesla's quote for a trade in was $55k and maybe if I'm lucky I can sell it for $70k. Always count on cars depreciating...rarely do they ever appreciate.

If that's a true statement, that's way out of the normal experience and should not be relied upon. Take our Model S for example. 2013 S85 purchased for high 80s with 21k miles. Tesla's quote for a trade in was $55k and maybe if I'm lucky I can sell it for $70k. Always count on cars depreciating...rarely do they ever appreciate.

Did you try Carmax? Tesla told me 58k on my 2013 P85, Carmax quoted me $81k, (sold privately for $86k).

Did you try Carmax? Tesla told me 58k on my 2013 P85, Carmax quoted me $81k, (sold privately for $86k).
I had this whole post about how you couldn't have bought a P85 back in 2013 for less than $86k but I'm not interested in going OT or starting a fight.

This whole delay is annoying. I just hope our 2007 Lexus RX400h can withstand the delay too so we're not forced into a bad interim decision until our Sig X arrives in Q3 2015.

We have been thinking about cancelling the X reservation and get an S instead, but we need the towing capabillity for our car number 2, So it looks like we have to keep our MB ML alive a little longer than expected.

But again, if I put my "positive hat" on, Q3 will be first of July next year and the EU models should be produced first. So we all have our cars at the same time (US and EU) due to the transportation time ;-)

/Martin

Originally Posted by scottf200
Seems like this will affect sigs more than genprod assuming this is true: "This will also allow for a more rapid production ramp compared to Model S in 2012."

Disappointed but absolutely keeping my reservation. Hoping for July 2015 delivery as I have travel plans in August in it!!
In my experience when companies that habitually slip dates announce "Q3 2015", it means: "Don't get your hopes up for anything before September 30". :tongue:
That is certainly a good rule of thumb.

I am really quite happy the the 85D and P85D are coming out Dec/Jan because I think there will be significant real-world data that Tesla can look at. I think this means that the "AWD drive train" in the Model X will be a much faster and much smoother affair.

Just read this in the seekingalpha transcript and thought it was relevant.

Elon MuskSure. So with the X production, it's difficult for us to give -- I would have to give something with very, very big bounding numbers for X production next year because it really depends on how well that production ramp goes. If we encounter any issues that require correction, then we obviously want to slow that production ramp down.

If things go really well we will ramp it up. We do have the advantage with the X that we’ve the dual motor powertrain and the chassis. So the bottom end of the car kind of sorted out with Model S that takes that part of the risk out of it.

With the falcon wing door and the second row of seats and sort of a few other things, we're adding some very new stuff to -- that's really not out there, that never really has existed in a way that was useful. So it's hard to say what those numbers would be, except I'm confident that the demand for the X will be very high once we're in production and again we will be production-limited because it is really a phenomenal car.

It really addresses a different market segment that some people want an SUV and some people want a sedan and they're about 50:50 in the market. So that's why we feel confident in predicting a 50% growth in orders and deliveries that's fairly comfortable next year and then at least a 50% growth in 2016 again and in subsequent years too.

Last edited:
Not sure what can be statistically gleaned from this kind of thread, as every answer will be different for different individual circumstances.

For whatever it's worth, we want a trouble-free Model X that does whatever it does, with near-zero defects or flaws or need for repairs. We refuse to buy another ICE, ever. And we believe that Tesla wants the additional revenue as quickly as possible so they must therefore be working as hard as possible. Tesla gains nothing by delaying Model X. Therefore, if they believe it needs another six months of testing to be sure it doesn't give my wife any trouble, then I'm happy for them to take that time and put in the extra work. Model X does not exist yet, so she will simply continue to drive her current car. No need for an immediate trade-in because her current ICE is fine, and you can't trade in for a car that does not exist. :)

We have been thinking about cancelling the X reservation and get an S instead, but we need the towing capabillity for our car number 2

I am not aware of any statements by Tesla as to what towing capability, if any, the X will have. I don't see why it would be any different from the S Dual Motor since that is the X drivetrain as well, and as far as I know Tesla does not ascribe any towing capability to the Model S D.

I am not aware of any statements by Tesla as to what towing capability, if any, the X will have. I don't see why it would be any different from the S Dual Motor since that is the X drivetrain as well, and as far as I know Tesla does not ascribe any towing capability to the Model S D.
Elon has stated a couple of times that the Model X will have class-leading towing capabilities.