Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delayed until Q3 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAV4 EV used Tesla technology only in the last iteration; it's already in production and looks like a good competitor. Anyway, we have at least 1+ year for some other company to announce its MX competitor, so be patient.

No, the Rav4 EV is no longer in production. Toyota built the 2,600 it needed for CARB compliance, and the vehicles sitting on dealer lots are the last of them. Toyota has publicly disavowed electric vehicles and will only be building hybrids and hydrogen fuel cell cars going forward. Every single Rav4 EV is identical aside from exterior paint color, and all include the Tesla technology. The "last" iteration is the only iteration. And it gets about 90-120 miles per charge, not the 180-295 anticipated for the Model X.

So any other all-electric SUVs on the market you can cite? (Here's the easy answer in case you're wondering: zero other electric SUVs.)

Had to struggle with the delay and was close to pull the trigger for a S85D -especially, while pricing in Europe will go up per 7%. And patience is really not my strength. This is my task, they want me to give up.

Got back in the game, and the funiest thing is, that i will wait for the X also because of this Falcon Wing doors i never wanted.The thing is, Elons last Interview, while he talked about: the X is also inspired by the Mercedes Gullwing. This said, combined with some pepper of: "It is a Car that should exist" + "When you open that doors, it will be like WOW" and the thought that Model X is just the second car they build completly from the buttom, brought me back to the point to wait, while i can't afford both and i personally think the X will be a mindblowing car, when it hits the road.

So, yeah i'm delayed another year, but im back waiting, for now.

Greetings to all
Earl

Our family came to the decision we can't compromise from an SUV to a sedan. That then eliminated the Model S, and our failing SUV was sold and we purchased another ICE SUV. We intend to keep the new ICE for approx 3 years. Knowing that HK is a year behind what happens in the states, the delay works out fine for me. It will probably be 2017 before I can realistically expect to see Model X's showing up in Hong Kong, so I can wait until next year or 2016 to put down the reservation.

I was a little sad to purchase a new ICE, but it will tie me over until I get the glorious amazing Model X. I do think it will be a revolutionary fantastic car. I will continue to admire it from afar and when it becomes an actually car that can be seen and touched and felt (not necessarily by me, but by someone!), then I will probably put down the reservation instead of now it seems more like a dream and a beautiful promise.

Kudos to those who patiently hold on and wait for their Model X, and absolutely no criticism to those who decide to give up their reservation. This is a personal and family choice, and should suit your family's needs and priorities. No one can know your family's situation better than yourself so each to their own.

Replacement Leaf costs less than a Model X sig deposit. ;)

A true statement, but you get to apply all of the Sig X deposit to a Model X. You'll only get to apply some of the value of the Leaf from trade-in / private sale to a Model X.

On the plus side, you can be DRIVING the Leaf today. The Model X deposit is more like a 0% savings account - a financial instrument, with no actual transportation from A to B and back again provided.

- - - Updated - - -

As you can imagine, it's easier to wait if you're driving a Roadster every day.

I'm pretty sure the Roadster is saving me from "settling" (for me) and ordering a Model S in December. The wait is bearable and annoying with the Roadster - I can't imagine the mental space I'd be in without it.

Most likely it's the falcon doors.

As part of the fellowship of Tesla, Wright's biggest responsibility was nurturing the relationship with Lotus...

...He was shocked when a Lotus engineer told him that it was easier to redesign an engine than remake a door. In what would become a theme for Tesla, seemingly simple parts revealed unending intricacies. You have to fit locks, switches, and windows into the confines of a door, all while keeping rain and wind out and getting that satisfying thunk when you close it.

Most likely it's the falcon doors

It's a lot of factors. I would guess it's Elon's desire for perfection. Sounds like they are doing some exciting things with second row seating.

In the article you referenced, it talked about the almost total recall of the Roadsters to be fixed for various problems. It nearly bankrupted the company. Elon won't go through that again.

After the latest delay, I decided that the wait would be more tolerable while driving a Model S. I drove it home today. :)

10619919_10152529777398107_1878289457660311659_o.jpg

Best how I read into Elon's last chat on the Model X during the earnings report - since I am still looking at 2015 for my Canadian Reservation number of 788, it would suggest a later start of production for the validation, but greater volume once in production. So, I think I am still looking at towards the end of next year.. Just what I was thinking anyway... Anyone have thoughts on this?

- - - Updated - - -

As you can imagine, it's easier to wait if you're driving a Roadster every day.
Ah so true. I am 1/2 way there while waiting for my MX as I drive a Prius hybrid... 1/2 way to full electric.

MX Canadian Reservation #788