Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivered Minus Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been discussed but didn't see anything in older threads

Took delivery a few days ago of Model X P100D

Has a few minor issues but my main concern is missing paint from inside door shuts between front doors and the rear of the front guards

Tesla have advised me today 'ALL' Model X's come minus paint on this section of the car

Can any other X owners confirm

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 451
  • Informative
Reactions: Mike M
Same with my AP1 car. In 9 months of ownership, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it. Mine is very recessed, so in my dark garage and midnight silver paint, I had to look very closely to verify it wasn't painted. I guess you could always pay someone to paint it for you if it bothers you that much.

Recall this was brought up many months ago by someone else. Their X was the blue color and was slightly more painted or the undercoating was black instead of white or something because it was not as noticeable. I think the consensus was that this was normal.

Are both areas like this; i.e. driverside and passengerside?

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
Checked my X, never noticed it before but I have the same thing (mine was also a week ago delivery). As Tesla shared with you then, I assume this is standard. Maybe because mine is black it just doesn't pop like yours does with Red.

Being an aluminum body, and being covered with the undercoat, I assume Tesla just feels like no one really ever sees it and its not as if it will corrode or rust out so no paint. Interesting though.

Recall this was brought up many months ago by someone else. Their X was the blue color and was slightly more painted or the undercoating was black instead of white or something because it was not as noticeable. I think the consensus was that this was normal.

Are both areas like this; i.e. driverside and passengerside?

Yep both sides the same.

I've owned multiple cars from AMG CLS63 to Hyundai Accent. Disappointing if this is standard when even a Hyundai has paint.

We nearly bought another Range Rover but went with Model X instead. Range Rover wouldn't see this as acceptable and I don't either

Thanks for confirming. Makes the car look unfinished and in reality it is.

Maybe trying to save a few dollars on paint and save a little bit of weight - lol

Checked my X, never noticed it before but I have the same thing (mine was also a week ago delivery). As Tesla shared with you then, I assume this is standard. Maybe because mine is black it just doesn't pop like yours does with Red.

Being an aluminum body, and being covered with the undercoat, I assume Tesla just feels like no one really ever sees it and its not as if it will corrode or rust out so no paint. Interesting though.

I've seen this questioned so many times. It is weird and the main reason why this happens is because Tesla is one of the few manufacturers that paints their cars with the doors on. Therefore this area does not get paint. I assume it speeds up production to not have to track doors separately with the bodies, but this is the side effect.