Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Deliveries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
A friend of mine is considering a model X. I haven't really been following deliveries since I got my M3.
There is no inventory at present and the website says "September" but traditionally that is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.
Does anyone have any recent experience and know what the reality is likely to be?
Is September really a possibility? (if so quite impressive given the state of the world right now)
If that was missed I am assuming it would then be mid November at best based on the quarterly cycle?

There is no inventory at present and the website says "September" but traditionally that is to be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

An extremely large pinch of salt. There is no way a custom built car will be here in September if the order hasn't already been placed. I doubt they would actually build one knowing that, it'll be pending for delivery towards the end of next quarter, i.e. 31/12. The S & X have a very slow journey across the US by rail to Houston Texas, and then once across the Pond have to be put together again at Tilburg before heading to the UK.

My first S was 4 months to the day, the one I'm waiting for was ordered on 23/05 with the Design studio giving Aug as expected delivery. I'm not VIN matched yet and don't expect to see the car until September time.

IMO the only time you can get inside these timescales is if you pick something up from inventory, but half the time they are still on the boat so the "immediate delivery" message can be optimistic.

I’m not sure if the S and X are custom built. My understanding is that different configurations are built in batches then orders are matched with the relevant configurations. So a lot of the delay time depends on when a batch of your chosen configuration is built. Then of course there is, as you say, that tortuous shipping route!

And then let's throw this into the melting pot:

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Do you order now because you like the portrait screen and current look and don't want to risk the car taking on the M3 landscape screen and no binnacle?

Do you wait because it's bound to be better? But how much more expensive, and how long before it gets over here anyway?

It might also be nothing of any great interest and you've wasted X months waiting......

I just put my September delivery on hold until after Battery day.. Thought I would wait and see what the Battery Day event reveals.

"Wait until Battery Day. It's gonna blow your mind. It blows my mind, and I know it!" said Elon Musk

Reactions: gangzoom
I just put my September delivery on hold until after Battery day.. Thought I would wait and see what the Battery Day event reveals.

"Wait until Battery Day. It's gonna blow your mind. It blows my mind, and I know it!" said Elon Musk

What was their reaction to that? If a car isn't collected within 7 days of being available they can reallocate to someone else. That's perhaps more likely with the Model 3 but the t&c's are quite clear.

I'm considering doing the same.

For the Roadster 2.0 stats to work you are looking at near 160kWh in a pack size not much bigger than the 3, so at least double current battery density.

The Tesla Semi also simply cannot exist based on current lithium ion tech.

Tesla clearly have something very juicy up their sleeves, the only question is how affordable it is and how quickly they can scale.

200kWh pack in a S/X would really end the whole 'I'll only buy an EV if it can drive me to the Alps in the middle of winter non stop' argument......Though I suspect all of a sudden we'll start hearing about 'I need to tow a caravan in a snow storm non stop to Moscow every day' argument for why EVs don't work in real life :).

Tesla clearly have something very juicy up their sleeves, the only question is how affordable it is and how quickly they can scale.

Yep 100% agree. I've been tracking the spec and price changes for ages, knowing my S comes up for 'renewal' in March. For me the current spec/price and finance structure works well and is the 'cheapest' for quite a while, hence why I've pulled the trigger.

The potential long awaited refresh is apparently imminent and may possibly be wrapped into Battery Day too. OTOH it could be another big fanfare with the actual delivery yonks down the line.

I would be very interested to see if Tesla do end up finally start offering battery retrofits if there is a massive stepup in pack density. Elon has always used the excuse 'The cost versus range gain' isn't worth it before. To an extent his right, but if the next packs have double the capacity for a similar cost than things are very different.

Incidentally I cannot remember the last time I charged our 75D X to beyond 60%, yet a bigger battery is something everyone wants regardless of little need for it there is :).

Incidentally I cannot remember the last time I charged our 75D X to beyond 60%, yet a bigger battery is something everyone wants regardless of little need for it there is :).

I don't really need the LR and would be happy with an SR, but doesn't look like that's coming back. Taking the PiG and referral discount that I benefited from last time into account, the price of my new LR is £10k more than the 60D bought 3.5 years ago.

For that £10k I'm getting a much bigger pack, air suspension, premium audio and the new motor set up. I'm losing free SuC (could have kept my original order but I chose the £4k price drop - no brainer). I'm pretty happy with that - subject to the revelations due 22nd Sept - or not!

Tesla need something juicy but I'm doubtful its going to be revolutionary. They'll spin it up like they always do, just like Musk has spun FSD year after year after year... and is spinning it again. I think we're into the realms of small incremental benefits not step changes in technology now. The Model 3 batteries are essentially the same as the MS and MX just in a different form factor and that tech is about 5 years old. There's been talk about improvements in sustainability more than capacity/performance from what I've seen.

I'd also be wary of any massive promises given they've pulled back on the battery warranty to be mileage limited and exclude software changes that reduce charge speed and/or capacity. Its one thing getting a show pony charge rate and capacity and its another providing warranty on it. But the MS and MX are due something soon.

Tesla need something juicy but I'm doubtful its going to be revolutionary. They'll spin it up like they always do, just like Musk has spun FSD year after year after year... and is spinning it again. I think we're into the realms of small incremental benefits not step changes in technology now. The Model 3 batteries are essentially the same as the MS and MX just in a different form factor and that tech is about 5 years old. There's been talk about improvements in sustainability more than capacity/performance from what I've seen.

I'd also be wary of any massive promises given they've pulled back on the battery warranty to be mileage limited and exclude software changes that reduce charge speed and/or capacity. Its one thing getting a show pony charge rate and capacity and its another providing warranty on it. But the MS and MX are due something soon.

I'm with you on all of this. V3 Supercharging speeds and a million mile battery, that sounds fantastic - ahh but the warranty now confirms it's ok to do what they've done in a clandestine way already. Nice.

My concern over the refresh is whether they decide to adopt the IMO ugly M3 landscape screen, as opposed to the nicely built in portrait one plus IC. By ordering now at least I've protected myself against that. If Battery Day reveals a lightly refreshed but similar form to now I'll consider cancelling and re-ordering - price and availability dependent of course. I'm also slightly nervous of anything new they bring in, historically many parts have proved to be unfit for purpose - e.g. MCU1, door handles, heaters etc and I'd like to think a new MS will be largely trouble free (as in fairness my existing car has been).

I've also no intention of running one out of warranty if I can help it!

And as for FSD aka the Unicorn, I've bitten the bullet as I use some of features I currently enjoy with EAP and those aren't included in the current Autopilot included offering.

Apologies to the OP I've gone rather OT here.

Posted my story in a could of forums hope this helps:

Placed my order for the following spec in January:

Model X Performance
Ludicrous Mode
Pearl White Multi-Coat
22" Onyx Black Wheels
All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
Six Seat Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging

was expected for March delivery originally, in April was told a June delivery date, in June I was told to expect a vin number on July 15th, on July 15th was told to expect delivery in mid September. (I’m not hopeful that my car will be with me in September) lol. I was tempted to compromise and opt for an existing inventory option, however I don’t want to loose the Free Unlimited Supercharging that I secured.

Understandable that A delay would happen considering covid, but their communication with me about my order has been shocking. I also have a Porsche Taycann that I ordered at a similar time and they have been so good at communicating the state of my order at all stages. Any advice on getting real information from Tesla over the phone? Lol, doesn’t make me optimistic about their communication about servicing once I have the car.

Posted my story in a could of forums hope this helps:

Placed my order for the following spec in January:

Model X Performance
Ludicrous Mode
Pearl White Multi-Coat
22" Onyx Black Wheels
All Black Premium Interior with Carbon Fiber Décor
Six Seat Interior
Autopilot
Full Self-Driving Capability
Free Unlimited Supercharging

was expected for March delivery originally, in April was told a June delivery date, in June I was told to expect a vin number on July 15th, on July 15th was told to expect delivery in mid September. (I’m not hopeful that my car will be with me in September) lol. I was tempted to compromise and opt for an existing inventory option, however I don’t want to loose the Free Unlimited Supercharging that I secured.

Understandable that A delay would happen considering covid, but their communication with me about my order has been shocking. I also have a Porsche Taycann that I ordered at a similar time and they have been so good at communicating the state of my order at all stages. Any advice on getting real information from Tesla over the phone? Lol, doesn’t make me optimistic about their communication about servicing once I have the car.

I doubt they have any better (or reliable) information to give you. You'll probably take delivery 10 months after ordering and sods law says they'll then announce the refreshed model the following day. Its hard to defend Tesla at the moment on the subject of comms