Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would think that Tesla might see these common issues and look for these things at the factory and or service center? Then have them repaired or fixed prior to deliver to the customer. Obviously Tesla reads the forums and sees these posts. Or do you think they try to over look these issues and hope we don't see them?

I have taken all of the data from the checklists and put it on an excel spread sheet. There were several duplications which I consolidated. I also assigned a group (Interior/exterior..etc) and a type (FWD, windshield, seats 2nd row..etc) and then sorted the items by group. Being slightly OCD ;) could not stand the random order of the items listed:eek: I thought it would be more efficient to try to check all items in an area one time. Hopefully it also helps eliminate duplicates when someone adds a new item.

For new members to the forum I also explained that the data is taken from many entries on the forum and is not officially validated. It is a helpful tool created by members. It in no way is meant to represent the condition of all model x's and in fact many X's are delivered with little or no problems (not all X owners contribute to forum also).

All of the real work was done by others on this thread that created the original lists... my contribution was only organization and not content. I appreciate all of the efforts to document and help us when taking delivery of our X's... can't wait.

Attached excel spread sheet and PDF version. I didn't know how to upload a spread sheet so I changed the extension to PDF and uploaded. You can download, rename to xls extension and it should open with excel.
Thanks for doing this!!! I was not able to load the smaller file for some reason...Are you able to?? Can you please re-post?

Here are additional Model X specific items from my list created after taking delivery. Some may be repetitive from Nick's list, but I'd rather include them here.

- Check that 2nd row safety plates at the floor leave no gaps or holes during the entire forward and backward movement of the seats.
- Check all 2nd row seats for missing seat anchor point covers.
- Check both sides of each 2nd row seat for loose trim.
- Check under the carpet mats at the 2nd row for level seams on the floor. Rock the floor edges front to back to check for wobble of each of the three sections.
- Check that 3rd row seats fold down. Headrest first and the seat back follows.
- Check that the 3rd row seats can release and be restored to their upright locked position.
- Check the 3rd row seat backs where they meet in the middle. Is the leather stitched trim the same size on each side?
- Check from the trunk that the bottom of the rear seat carpet back is not bent and binding when raised. Pull trunk load floor firmly towards the rear of the vehicle to increase the gap.
- Check tie downs in the trunk that they are lying flat against the carpet and not sticking up.
- Stop the Falcon Wing Door in mid travel using the key fob to check for seal damage or misplaced wiring.
- Check if the driver and passenger door always open without having to pry the door loose with fingers.
- Let the Model X time out with doors open. Check if the driver and passenger door close and latch.
- Check both Falcon Wing Door sills for dents and scratches.
- Double check all wheels for edge damage.
- Check hidden paint edges at the B pillars for paint chips next to the roof glass.
- Check for Parcel Shelf to be installed with rear seats down (included for Signature vehicles)
- With the hatch open, check the seal space between the paint and plastic.
- With the hatch open, Check that upper hatch seals are closed with no paint or a little paint showing. Easy to correct on the spot.
- Check the rear headrests for scratches on the plastic back while the headrest is down before seat lowering.
- Check the 2nd row seat posts for scratches and carpet alignment at the base.
- Check leather seats for pucker (hills). Creases on the edges are normal for this quality of leather.
- Check windshield in direct sunlight for any sparkles caused by sand hitting the windshield during transport.
- Check paint carefully for specks of clear coat that may affect the application of clear bra wrap. More frequent on horizontal surfaces (hood).
- Check under the carpet cover in the rear trunk if the air tubes are fully positioned across the width of the trunk and did not slide together in shipment.
- Check top center roof glass outside for excessive height differences or bending.
- Check rear hatch when closed for equal sized gaps on both sides. Now, check the taillight gaps if they are of similar spacing on each side.
- Check rear hatch top alignment with Falcon Wing Doors. Most important is that all chrome trim aligns around the entire vehicle.
- Check under outside rear view mirrors for excessive clear glue.
- Check at the right and left bottom corner of the windshield for loose plastic trim that has pulled away from painted B pillar.
- Check during a test drive at slow speed that a raise of the cruise control doesn't cause the vehicle to engage at low speed and speed up gradually.

What are the referenced air tubes that I'm looking for? (- Check under the carpet cover in the rear trunk if the air tubes are fully positioned across the width of the trunk and did not slide together in shipment.) Pick up is tomorrow evening!

What are the referenced air tubes that I'm looking for? (- Check under the carpet cover in the rear trunk if the air tubes are fully positioned across the width of the trunk and did not slide together in shipment.) Pick up is tomorrow evening!
Look at this at your leisure if you desire. If the two tubes have moved together, you can easily move them further apart to close the foam seal at the ends of the tubes towards the center. This may no longer be an issue.

Have fun at delivery and concentrate on physical paint/metal/fabric/leather/glass defects that would eventually be normal wear and tear. Like a rental car, you don't want Tesla to find the defects later during service and assume you have dented the paint or scratched a wheel. If something doesn't work, that would be repaired if found later. A paint scratch? You want to find that at delivery and get it on a punch list.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: MikeC and F123456
Look at this at your leisure if you desire. If the two tubes have moved together, you can easily move them further apart to close the foam seal at the ends of the tubes towards the center. This may no longer be an issue.

Have fun at delivery and concentrate on physical paint/metal/fabric/leather/glass defects that would eventually be normal wear and tear. Like a rental car, you don't want Tesla to find the defects later during service and assume you have dented the paint or scratched a wheel. If something doesn't work, that would be repaired if found later. A paint scratch? You want to find that at delivery and get it on a punch list.
Thank you for your reply, and yes; goal is to note anything that could otherwise be blamed on us as having occurred post delivery!

Thanks all you lovely folks for putting this together. I am rushing for delivery today and printed out the checklist, hopefully my DS will go over most items with me. I feel like college days, sudden pop quiz and I have not prepared well, and going to improvise from all the lectures I have attended diligently (i.e. participating in TMC and learning). Please wish me luck for an uneventful and pleasant delivery. Thanks again!

Reactions: WABarb and F123456
Tesla has made many improvements since the original lists. Look for scratches or other blemishes in the best light possible. Good luck, enjoy the experience and your new Tesla Electric Vehicle! Take some photos to remember the day!
Everything is good except hood panel non uniform gap, passenger side fwd vertical sealing alignment and rear roof applique alignment. I am having a but of trouble figuring out summon, don't know how to activate it from within the car (app not linked to car yet), also one of the second row seats won't move forward+down and only slides forward on using the side mounted button. I am clicking it once quickly and not pressing and holding.. it was working at the SC as expected..

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
...I am having a but of trouble figuring out summon...
I tried summon once in a parking lot to test it. Haven't used it again.

The service center should take care of all the problems you mentioned. Check another vehicle if necessary to determine the difference. My Tesla Service Center has done amazing things to solve some serious early problems that no one sees anymore. Since the technicians work the assembly line as part of their training, they know how the vehicle is put together.

Check the difference between your left and right side 2nd row operation to check how it should operate. That has helped when one side isn't the same. Above all, enjoy your Model X.

I tried summon once in a parking lot to test it. Haven't used it again.

The service center should take care of all the problems you mentioned. Check another vehicle if necessary to determine the difference. My Tesla Service Center has done amazing things to solve some serious early problems that no one sees anymore. Since the technicians work the assembly line as part of their training, they know how the vehicle is put together.

Check the difference between your left and right side 2nd row operation to check how it should operate. That has helped when one side isn't the same. Above all, enjoy your Model X.
Thanks Mark. I did a reset to fix the issue, and again when the issue showed up a second time... Ctrl+Alt+Del whenever there is an issue :)
On the other second row seat, I have a car seat latched in and facing backwards. When the seat is moved from the side-button or the touchscreen it wont stop and literally crush the front seat-back. For now I have bunched up some microfiber cloth and put it on the car seat headrest to avoid badly damaging the seat back. I tried testing the resistance-pressure at which the seat would stop moving on detecting obstruction.. but it almost crushed my palm and I had to stop it immediately. So unless the car seats are facing forwards, that FWD side access to third row or even to the center area is impossible. I am also on a learning curve with the touchscreen controls and fumbling a bit with opening and closing doors to load/unload passengers :D

...FWD side access to third row or even to the center area is impossible...
Can you have your passengers use the other side so the car seat can be left alone in a preset position?

Hopefully others who use car seats can comment or suggest the right thread to discuss the topic.

The Buena Park Service Center had extra car seats to explain placement during training sessions. Perhaps you can give your SC a call.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
I want to thank everyone who contributed to the Model X checklist. Yes, I printed it (2 copies). I tried to go through all 8 pages, but unfortunately some of items couldn't be tested at Tesla.

It appears although my FWD are lined up properly. They don't look like any of the pics I've seen posted on TMC. My auto rain detect wipers do not work. Occasionally my drivers door does not present itself, but I can hear it trying.

The FWD are f*cking SEXY! I've had so many "Tesla moments" tonight that I cannot count. I've allowed 4 stranger to sit in my car.

Although I was adamant that only I could smoke in my car. NO ONE, not even me will. No food. No drink except takeout or groceries that will be put in the frunk only.

I'm at a loss for words guys. I can't believe I finally own a Tesla Model X.

Thank you to everyone at TMC for the support and especially my gf for literally forcing me to test drive a MS 3 ½ years ago. I'm amazed by every aspect of this car and I'm still learning even the basics.

The 50 times I've read through the tesla manual on mytesla prior to today, was nearly no help, as I forgot everything while star struck sitting in my MX at the SC. I had to turn off auto present drivers door because it just kept opening and closing whenever I got close or stepped back.

I need to gather my thoughts, eat something, get some rest and I'll post pics on a few threads as well as Instagram and Facebook.

And to those who wondered, my MVPA said the car had 100km. It actually only had 18km.

Thanks everyone again! :)

Reactions: Ormond and Roentgen
I also wanted to express thanks here for the effort put into the checklist. I read it carefully, and brought it on an iPad to the delivery. While I would have liked to say I systematically went through every line, what really happened is that I used it as a general guide, and was generally too excited to stick to the script.

I'll post a better description of my delivery experience in the July thread, but in a nutshell, the car looked great. I did see a noticeable difference in the way the FWD lined up on the driver's side (slightly above the line of the front door and rear, as evidenced by the line of chrome trim and the door handles). Although I didn't report anything else at the SC, I have since noticed some odd front door behavior at times (e.g., doors opening halfway instead of completely even when no object is present). I also didn't do things like check tire pressures or test a USB stick at delivery. Notably, this is the first time I've signed for a new car at delivery without taking a brief drive first, which was a little odd, but the car drove flawlessly on the way home (and the several unnecessary errands I've run since yesterday).

Commuting to work tomorrow, and will look forward to putting the car through its paces (including lots of stop and go traffic).

Thanks to all for their effort to keep me as focused as possible on delivery.

I just wanted to say thanks to the team that built this doc. It's got me so excited for September! I love the sense of community here.

For those that found significant issues, do you just gain a commitment to resolve the issues or just reschedule the acceptance of the Model X until all issues are resolved?

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I just wanted to say thanks to the team that built this doc. It's got me so excited for September! I love the sense of community here.

For those that found significant issues, do you just gain a commitment to resolve the issues or just reschedule the acceptance of the Model X until all issues are resolved?
You report it on the spot. If it's minor they fix it on the spot, otherwise they contact you with a service appointment.