Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of our X75D yesterday at Tesla Manhasset. My SC was expectedly full of customers with the eoq rush. But I was shocked to hear that they were doing 25 other deliveries.
Our DS was very friendly and asked another associate to walk through the car with us (he was dealing with about 10 things at a time. Props to the man for having a smile the whole time). My wife listened to the walkthrough as I inspected the vehicle. We found an alignment issue with the passenger side FWD and the new bench for 7seater config apparently didn't want to work and needs to be replaced. Also missing some adapters, mats and sunshade.

We took longer than expected as the bench issue confounded everyone that looked at it. Probably took about 2.5hrs in total until we were done. Honestly I had every intention of going through the entire checklist, but the excitement of seeing the X got to me. I missed some things that I found after I drove it home but minor so I'm really ok with it. The big things that I found afterwards were cabin nose/rattling and trunk hatch creaking. I hope the SC visit will address these issues and based on staff feedback, I have confidence that it will.

Tl;Dr, the overall experience was a good one. We're happy with the car so far even with the needed fixes. Will update when the noted issues are addressed (or not )

Reactions: boaterva
Waiting for home delivery, any recommendations on top of the most recent checklist? I assume there is a note I need to sign and I can mention things on it? or can I just take pictures and talk to my DS? Or was it a mistake to do home delivery?

Waiting for home delivery, any recommendations on top of the most recent checklist? I assume there is a note I need to sign and I can mention things on it? or can I just take pictures and talk to my DS? Or was it a mistake to do home delivery?
If you are really in the District of Columbia, why opt for home delivery? If you take delivery at a Service Center, they can fix many issues on the spot or at least put them on the list of 'Due Bill' of things that are due to you when you sign the paperwork. (Waiting to hear what else DC means.. :D ).

Usually home delivery is a good idea only if you are *really* far from a SC. If you are doing home delivery, document everything, since the car will literally be dropped off a car carrier.

If you are really in the District of Columbia, why opt for home delivery? If you take delivery at a Service Center, they can fix many issues on the spot or at least put them on the list of 'Due Bill' of things that are due to you when you sign the paperwork. (Waiting to hear what else DC means.. :D ).

:) DC means DC @boaterva you got it right.

Usually home delivery is a good idea only if you are *really* far from a SC. If you are doing home delivery, document everything, since the car will literally be dropped off a car carrier.
I have planned a road trip, and I am really in a rush to get the car. and with all the delays due to floods and hurricanes was worried the car won't make it in time. Then they called me and said if you take home delivery it will be faster. And I said sure, I'll do home delivery. I thought I know everything about the car and I have already planned to take it to a detailer so I don't need them to wash the car for me.

And I assumed if there are any defects and things to be fixed they will do it regardless of if I find it during walkthrough or later and that shouldn't be different.

Is this a fair assumption? I mean if something is really broken or scratched or needs fixing they will accept it. As long as I can show it was like that when I got the car I guess?

I work in DC but don't live in DC. But that was not the reason that I opted in for home delivery.

THANK YOU for the checklist. I followed this thread before taking possession of my Model X on September 29 in Fremont, CA. I'm still astonished that Tesla didn't have an inspection checklist at delivery, but rather waited for me to ask (answer is "no", they don't walk through an official checklist with Buyer) and then pull out the Tesla Motor Club checklist.

I felt uncomfortable going through the checklist, as though I was spending too much time and delaying other deliveries (I spent 30 minutes reviewing car and talking with Q&A advisor). Again, if not for this forum, I would have left sooner not wanting to be "difficult" and would now be driving an expensive car with unacceptable quality issues.

I would have respected Tesla more had they proactively called out the defects (alignment, seals, small crack in rear windshield) rather than hope I drive off without saying anything. I compared my MX to two others next to it (100's, mine was 75) and each had its own set of issues (one had same alignment problem, the other had bubbles in the seals like mine). None of these vehicles should have gone out to Buyers. At a minimum, there should have been full disclosure about the quality issues. I view the company as having quality and integrity issues now.

• Informative
Reactions: jnuyens
THANK YOU for the checklist. I followed this thread before taking possession of my Model X on September 29 in Fremont, CA. I'm still astonished that Tesla didn't have an inspection checklist at delivery, but rather waited for me to ask (answer is "no", they don't walk through an official checklist with Buyer) and then pull out the Tesla Motor Club checklist.

I felt uncomfortable going through the checklist, as though I was spending too much time and delaying other deliveries (I spent 30 minutes reviewing car and talking with Q&A advisor). Again, if not for this forum, I would have left sooner not wanting to be "difficult" and would now be driving an expensive car with unacceptable quality issues.

I would have respected Tesla more had they proactively called out the defects (alignment, seals, small crack in rear windshield) rather than hope I drive off without saying anything. I compared my MX to two others next to it (100's, mine was 75) and each had its own set of issues (one had same alignment problem, the other had bubbles in the seals like mine). None of these vehicles should have gone out to Buyers. At a minimum, there should have been full disclosure about the quality issues. I view the company as having quality and integrity issues now.

@Gnat may I ask when did you order your MX? I did at aug 4th and still waiting for delivery.

If I sent the checklist to my DS, would they make sure everything is good before I take delivery? The SC is over 3 hours away so I’d prefer to only make one trip.
I was thinking about doing this too, but just a shortened list of things that 1) might make me refuse delivery, or 2) could easily be fixed by the SC.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

I was thinking about doing this too, but just a shortened list of things that 1) might make me refuse delivery, or 2) could easily be fixed by the SC.

Has anyone had any luck with this?
You can try, but I don't see anyone at the SC both willing and having the bandwidth to go through such a list for your vehicle. I'm sure they have their own condensed "check-list" that they go through, but in the end it's up the the customer to verify the vehicle is acceptable.

You can try, but I don't see anyone at the SC both willing and having the bandwidth to go through such a list for your vehicle. I'm sure they have their own condensed "check-list" that they go through, but in the end it's up the the customer to verify the vehicle is acceptable.
Yeah, that makes sense. Seems like a long-shot that they would actually catch anything that late in the game, but I was just hoping to get an extra set of eyes (DS's) on some of the points that I'll be looking at.

Thanks so much for the checklist. We picked up our almost perfect inventory X yesterday (with 12mi on the odometer). After months of being nervous about getting a MX due to quality issues, I was so happy to find that it was almost perfect. And your list helped to confirm that for us, for which I'm deeply grateful.

The only issue that we encountered was a seal issue that was not on the list (or if it was, we missed it). On our car, the gigantic cable housing that runs at the top of the rear hatch between the car and the hatch was rubbing on the rear hatch seal, causing it to be displaced each time the rear hatch was opened. The DS called in a tech who told us that that seal had been recently redesigned, and he was going to be getting us a replacement of the newer design.

I don't plan to go through the whole checklist since I am leasing mine so if there are issues, it will go back after 3 years anyway. That said, what would be the top/most-annoying issues that one should check for a soon-to-be delivered Model X? Squeaking of doors/seats seem to be the most common & annoying issues. Anything else?

Updated the checklist for November.

Thank you for this! I just want to make double (triple) certain that I'm correct about something. With the PUP, you have listed
"autopresent doors, bioweapon defense mode, leather arm rests, leather steering wheel and leather underside dashboard, upside dashboard in alcantara, warm LED package interior, dynamic headlight led lighting in corners, led fog lights, fast connection dock for smartphones "

Aside from the auto present doors, and the biodefense mode, everything else is included as standard now. The alcantera dashboard is no longer available. I'm hoping that I'm right about this, because the autopresenting doors, hepa filter, and audio system were not worth the cost of the PUP. But the other items are important to me, and I was told that they are included as standard now.

• Informative
Reactions: jnuyens
For those that went over the checklist during delivery, what were the reactions from the Tesla Folks? Did they object, or were there curious or concerned? How did they react/respond to issues brought up?
I used the checklist when my X was delivered in January 2016. The delivery folks were attentive and corrected some of the issues while I was inspecting the car. Other issues were written up on a due bill and resolved on a later visit.

All in all I thought they were very professional (and patient).

I used the checklist when my X was delivered in January 2016. The delivery folks were attentive and corrected some of the issues while I was inspecting the car. Other issues were written up on a due bill and resolved on a later visit.

All in all I thought they were very professional (and patient).

Thanks for the info. Did you pick up at the Devon service centre? Who did you work with & how was your experience with your DS?