Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery #failure #day1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from what was supposed to be an amazing day - taking delivery of my Model X. I've mulled over the past 3 years whether I really needed a Tesla and after much deliberation, decided to pull the trigger about a month ago. I've read tons of quality issues, but chalked it up to chance and that it would never happen to me in real life. Guess what? Reality check, it CAN happen to you and it CAN happen to you on the day of delivery!

I'm not particularly angry but just somewhat disappointed. I went into the Tesla delivery center in Fremont today to take delivery of my Model X with my entire family. I signed all the paper work and walked into the delivery showroom where all the Teslas were going to be handed over to their happy owners, approximately 10 I'd say. In the far end on the left, I saw my car just waiting for me. Upon first glance, I just fell in love with how it looked. The lighting, the shimmer of the Obsidian Metallic Black with a tint of blue under the light, the luxurious cream interior which the online configurator does not at all do justice. I thought I had ticked all the right boxes and had bought the perfect car.

My DS was not there but another gentleman went over the car with me in a fair bit of detail, he also happened to be one of the salesman I had spoken to while ordering the car from the stanford shopping center so I was quite comfortable asking questions left and right. There were some scratches above the rear bumper but whatever, the car is amazing!! After about 30 mins, we finally took pictures and I drove off with the Model X with my family in the back. Before leaving the lot, we turned on the A/C as it was getting quite hot, go figure, it's a black car with a big window!

About a mile in, the air was still warm. hmm Did I forget to switch on A/C? but wait... A/C says On, it's highlighted. Let's switch A/C off then back On. Let's wait another 20 seconds... Hmm, maybe the car needs to warm up or the compressor, let's wait another 10 seconds... My sister decides to help me and starts pressing buttons left and right and I can't find the other menu I was in. My parents in the back start rolling down the window and that annoying negative pressure reverberation echoes throughout the cabin. My ears start hurting and I start sweating even more. "You see, a cayenne would have been so much better and they don't have these quality issues in German cars" she says. Then my parents start complaining about the dust that accumulates on the window when it's rolled back up and why didn't anyone clean it at the Tesla center. I calmly pulled over because I just couldn't focus on the road anymore with all the raucous going around. My dad tells me to call the tesla store and maybe they can fix it remotely. In my gut, I knew it was a hardware issue and just drove back to the delivery center where I literally was 3 mins ago. Sigh...

I ask my family to politely wait in the car while I get some help at the center. I find someone but he's new, this was his first day at work. He goes back in and tries to find someone else. 10 mins later, he and another lady walk out and they said they needed to take the car into service. I have two options: drive the car back home and schedule an appointment or two: get a loaner, and leave the car there overnight. I think to myself and the little kid inside me thinks: noooooooooooooo. But let's stay cool because that's what adults do. We go back inside, get the loaner paperwork signed and all the paperwork I did today is not voided because technically speaking, I did not take delivery of my car. So I get a loaner, just drove back from Fremont where I live about 50 miles away with about 65 miles left on the Model S, use the Leaf charger from my girlfriend's EV and the adapter and guess what? It doesn't charge. sigh... Let's see what happens tomorrow. I'm thinking to myself, now why couldn't someone have just went through a QC checklist like how we do in software and just check everything. Right? //Rant Stops, I'm going to bed. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Sorry to hear about this. My experience was less stellar as well. I am in the middle of resolving an issue with Tesla where the standard adaptive headlights do not seem to come installed on my car, and Tesla is saying that "adaptive headlights" is a part of the premium package.

The buttons on my steering wheel didn't work when I left with my new car. The first stop was the service center.

Here's something funny. I took the factory tour today and they kept saying how everyone is proud of their work and how the car's are going through final checks, etc..

I wanted to shout out; i'd like to have a word with the guy that checked my car!

I had a similar experience when I picked up my X in Fremont a month ago and all I can say is Tesla will make it right. I opted to bring the car back to Tesla later and they had a brand new X loaner waiting for me and made sure I was satisfied with the car when I picked it up. The folks at the SC are usually really nice and attentive. I know not everyone has the same experience and although dealing with it is certainly annoying, was the best service center experience I've ever had. Had I gone through the same thing with my BMW, they would have done anything to get out of fixing the issues.

I had a similar experience when I picked up my X in Fremont a month ago and all I can say is Tesla will make it right. I opted to bring the car back to Tesla later and they had a brand new X loaner waiting for me and made sure I was satisfied with the car when I picked it up. The folks at the SC are usually really nice and attentive. I know not everyone has the same experience and although dealing with it is certainly annoying, was the best service center experience I've ever had. Had I gone through the same thing with my BMW, they would have done anything to get out of fixing the issues.

Just wait. the first few problems they are super helpful. I remember right after taking delivery with my steering wheel buttons didn't work, the tech swapped out the steering wheel control button right then and there, with no appointment and super apologetic. but after a few visits with more problems, their tone and service changed quite a bit.

The latest service visit is baffling to me.

- Go there and show them that the power seat button isn't functioning. They agreed. Show them the b pillar plastic didn't fit right, they agreed.

- Told me to make an appointment--they can't do anything anytime soon. First one available is a week later.

- Wait a week and bring the car in for my appointment. Tech comes out and looks at the car, and in 2-minutes, says that he needs to order the power seat button and b pillar plastic. Says, he'll call me if/when the parts come in. I question what the appointment was for.

- Week later, neither parts show up...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Out of curiosity, which one did you go to?

I went to the service center in Santa Clara.

On my latest service visit, I told them to please hold on to the car until all the agreed problems are fixed, and you know the shiny new Telsa loaner they promised went to; "we'll call you an uber ride."

It wasn't until I said I needed a car, that they hooked me up with Enterprise with a filthy infiniti.

What do you mean ‘you did not take delivery’? Was that a typo? I assume so, or the rest doesn’t quite make sense...

Once the original issues are fixed, you’ll be fine. It’s really too bad the factory can’t test things more completely. Still waiting for my delivery, lol...

Chemist_Slime,

You think what happened to you was bad? The night I picked up my brand new, loaded Model X 90D, June 26th, 2017, my rear drive unit completely failed leaving me stranded (the front drive unit stopped working as a precaution). Your A/C stopped working but at least you could drive your car. My car stopped moving altogether.

*sugar* happens and you move on. That's what I did. Tesla took good care of me and, over 6,000 miles later, my Model X is the best car I've ever owned despite its issues.

Andrew

I've seen a number of posts this past week about people accepting new Model X's and having faulty A/C. I contacted my DS today (expecting my first Tesla [MX100D] to be delivered Monday) and requested they specifically check the A/C prior to delivery. The acknowledged a recent issue with A/C traced to either a bad or incorrectly installed o-ring, and that it was a quick repair. Glad to hear they knew about the issue, but it certainly doesn't excuse them not finding it prior to delivery and at a minimum letting you know during the delivery process of the issue and proactively giving you the option on how you would like to handle it.

What do you mean ‘you did not take delivery’? Was that a typo? I assume so, or the rest doesn’t quite make sense...

Once the original issues are fixed, you’ll be fine. It’s really too bad the factory can’t test things more completely. Still waiting for my delivery, lol...

I did not take delivery yesterday. They gave me a loaner instead and I will have to go back tomorrow to redo the paperwork and get my Tesla again. On a side note, while reviewing a video I took during the brief time I was in the car, I now notice that there is something wrong with the FWD. It seems to only be on the right side of the door and near the top. Needless to say, I will now be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before I finally sign off on the car.

Attachments

• IMG_3925.PNG
    IMG_3925.PNG
    522.1 KB · Views: 177
I've seen a number of posts this past week about people accepting new Model X's and having faulty A/C. I contacted my DS today (expecting my first Tesla [MX100D] to be delivered Monday) and requested they specifically check the A/C prior to delivery. The acknowledged a recent issue with A/C traced to either a bad or incorrectly installed o-ring, and that it was a quick repair. Glad to hear they knew about the issue, but it certainly doesn't excuse them not finding it prior to delivery and at a minimum letting you know during the delivery process of the issue and proactively giving you the option on how you would like to handle it.

Yes, I've read around about it as well after it happened to me. Hopefully they resolve it quickly for all cars.

I did not take delivery yesterday. They gave me a loaner instead and I will have to go back tomorrow to redo the paperwork and get my Tesla again. On a side note, while reviewing a video I took during the brief time I was in the car, I now notice that there is something wrong with the FWD. It seems to only be on the right side of the door and near the top. Needless to say, I will now be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before I finally sign off on the car.

That appears to be normal on the FWD.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Chemist_Slime,

You think what happened to you was bad? The night I picked up my brand new, loaded Model X 90D, June 26th, 2017, my rear drive unit completely failed leaving me stranded (the front drive unit stopped working as a precaution). Your A/C stopped working but at least you could drive your car. My car stopped moving altogether.

*sugar* happens and you move on. That's what I did. Tesla took good care of me and, over 6,000 miles later, my Model X is the best car I've ever owned despite its issues.

Andrew

I'm glad you were ok, that's definitely more serious than my case which is why I remain optimistic that it will be resolved properly.

I went to the service center in Santa Clara.

On my latest service visit, I told them to please hold on to the car until all the agreed problems are fixed, and you know the shiny new Telsa loaner they promised went to; "we'll call you an uber ride."

It wasn't until I said I needed a car, that they hooked me up with Enterprise with a filthy infiniti.

Hopefully this isn't the case for me down the line. I also think that being there with your family also helps the case. It's much harder to be an *ss when you're with a throng of people.

Oh hey, I didn't know that you were also active on the forum. I saw this video of yours on youtube about build quality. Has everything held up well since it?

I plan to make a follow up video soon. I did have a refrigerant leak but my car has been running flawlessly since February. Hadn’t had the need to go to the SC since. Except for the refrigerant leak, all of my issues were mainly cosmetic. No hardware failure, such as door failure

It took time and several appointments but the Tesla team ultimately took care of 99% of my complaints. Obviously they are some creaks and missalingments but they are very unnoticeable...I wish I didn’t have them for a $100k car but it really isn’t a big deal.

The early X’s prior to June 2016 had crossed AC lines that led to the refrigerant leak in my car. Tesla took care of that and now my AC works great. Cools the car to 50 degrees in 90+ degree weather in 15 minutes

Reactions: boaterva
It took time and several appointments but the Tesla team ultimately took care of 99% of my complaints. Obviously they are some creaks and missalingments but they are very unnoticeable...I wish I didn’t have them for a $100k car but it really isn’t a big deal.

The early X’s prior to June 2016 had crossed AC lines that led to the refrigerant leak in my car. Tesla took care of that and now my AC works great. Cools the car to 50 degrees in 90+ degree weather in 15 minutes

It's great to hear that they took care of your issues. The picture I shared above with the FWD doesn't seem to be normal according to what's pictured on the tesla online configurator. The opposite side of the FWD doesn't have this issue as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 12.53.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 12.53.41 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
Reactions: ModelX