Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Delivery #failure #day1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back again from the Fremont Delivery Center again and they fixed the A/C! Yay. I was just about to drive off when I noticed the right front bumper sensor was always lit. uh oh... I read from another forum member who recently took delivery of his that a mobile service visit fixed the issue but since I caught it in time, they were able to remedy it on the spot.

When they pulled the car up to the front of the delivery center I immediately noticed a dent above the driver side FWD door handle. About half an inch but it was right near the corner and had some depth to it. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Unlike some plastic scratches or rubber seal issues which I can ignore and were set to be repaired via a due bill at a future visit, a dent I cannot. They will be taking it to the factory to have it fixed. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm, fingers crossed. Everything else seemed to be perfect otherwise. I'm almost there.

I must admit that the service personnel at the Tesla Fremont have been super wonderful and patient. I applaud them for working out these issues for me. Of course, it would have been better if it hadn't happened at all but it's ok, we're almost there. I'm hoping that by suffering these setbacks in the beginning it'll be nothing but smooth sailing afterwards. My dad is less patient though, he said that if the 3rd time doesn't work out, it means it wasn't meant to be and would most likely ask for a refund.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.09.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 10.09.59 PM.png
    782.8 KB · Views: 161
Just got back again from the Fremont Delivery Center again and they fixed the A/C! Yay. I was just about to drive off when I noticed the right front bumper sensor was always lit. uh oh... I read from another forum member who recently took delivery of his that a mobile service visit fixed the issue but since I caught it in time, they were able to remedy it on the spot.

When they pulled the car up to the front of the delivery center I immediately noticed a dent above the driver side FWD door handle. About half an inch but it was right near the corner and had some depth to it. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Unlike some plastic scratches or rubber seal issues which I can ignore and were set to be repaired via a due bill at a future visit, a dent I cannot. They will be taking it to the factory to have it fixed. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm, fingers crossed. Everything else seemed to be perfect otherwise. I'm almost there.

I must admit that the service personnel at the Tesla Fremont have been super wonderful and patient. I applaud them for working out these issues for me. Of course, it would have been better if it hadn't happened at all but it's ok, we're almost there. I'm hoping that by suffering these setbacks in the beginning it'll be nothing but smooth sailing afterwards. My dad is less patient though, he said that if the 3rd time doesn't work out, it means it wasn't meant to be and would most likely ask for a refund.

Your door alignment looks really off. You should check that.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
I wonder if this is more 'efficient' to have the SC's fix all these issues than have the factory do it... serious question. Get the cars to the SC's where they can deal with it? A lot of the issues can be handled there (but PO'd clients who see them and have to either delay delivery or come back again (and again...).

I would think Tesla would rather hide issues and get it done at the factory, but perhaps it's more difficult to do QA/repair there?

How is this done for other manufacturers? I know none of my BMWs (for a brand example) came with issues, but the cars were much simpler then (2000s...)

Just got back from the Fremont Delivery Center again. This is the 3rd time back there (4th if you count me picking up my X5 two days ago because the loaner Model S would not charge from my home's Leaf charger with tesla adapter, I barely made it there with 7% battery left) and I cannot begin to describe the extreme sadness and disappointment of this delivery experience. Although the entire staff there, Tom, Rachel, Jeremy, Sarai and Alex were nothing but professional and courteous, I think at this time, Model X and me just weren't meant to be. It must have been fate.

I received a call today from Alex at 4:30 pm to come pick up my Model X and I was once again excited like a kid to take delivery, hoping that it would be the final time. For those keeping track, today is saturday. I went there first to take delivery of my Model X on tuesday, but barely made it off the lot before discovering the A/C malfunction - it was just blowing hot air. I came back on Friday (yesterday) with my father to take delivery again only to discovery a dent above the driver side FWD door handle, rear diffuser coming loose, passenger side front bumper sensor always showing red and driver side FWD rubber seal coming loose on the bottom. So today, 3rd times the charm right? It has to be! So I dragged my entire family again to the Fremont Tesla center, driving through an hours worth of traffic from Berkeley, abandoning our friend's party plans only to find out that despite the dent now being fixed, the bumper sensor is now showing red again, and the rear diffuser now has an inch size cut through it as if someone accidentally sanded it down. Imagine the Motorola smart watch flat tire on the bottom of the display, that's what it looked like.

I'm a huge huge huge fan of Tesla and Elon. I have two model 3s on pre-order. I went into the Tesla center on El Camino and put down two thousand dollars before evening seeing the model 3 unveil last year. I stayed up to see the first successful landing of the spaceX falcon rocket. I talk about Elon and how he's changing the world to all my friends and family who would hear it from me for the nth time over. And don't get me wrong, I feel extremely blessed to be living where I live, be able to have a great job and afford a 100K car but you've really got to be kidding me right? I must be the most unlucky Model X delivery recipient of all time. In fact, the lady at the door signing people in already knew me by first name walking in.

As much as I really wanted to take delivery of my Model X, I'm literally exhausted. I've tried guys, I've really tried. And I've used up all the good will I could muster for it with my family but they've lost all interest. I really hope that Tesla will continue to innovate but also learn from where others have perfected - quality control and assembly. Despite being one of the first into the field of EV, all the other big guns now are closing the gap.

As for me, I had no choice but to ask for a refund, this was truly an exceptional circumstance that I hope does not repeat for anyone else. I leave you all with the beautiful Obsidian Black Metallic that I fell in love with and will now only enjoy from memory. And for the Model 3s on pre-order, I just don't know...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 12.20.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 12.20.27 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 102
Just got back from the Fremont Delivery Center again. This is the 3rd time back there (4th if you count me picking up my X5 two days ago because the loaner Model S would not charge from my home's Leaf charger with tesla adapter, I barely made it there with 7% battery left) and I cannot begin to describe the extreme sadness and disappointment of this delivery experience. Although the entire staff there, Tom, Rachel, Jeremy, Sarai and Alex were nothing but professional and courteous, I think at this time, Model X and me just weren't meant to be. It must have been fate.

I received a call today from Alex at 4:30 pm to come pick up my Model X and I was once again excited like a kid to take delivery, hoping that it would be the final time. For those keeping track, today is saturday. I went there first to take delivery of my Model X on tuesday, but barely made it off the lot before discovering the A/C malfunction - it was just blowing hot air. I came back on Friday (yesterday) with my father to take delivery again only to discovery a dent above the driver side FWD door handle, rear diffuser coming loose, passenger side front bumper sensor always showing red and driver side FWD rubber seal coming loose on the bottom. So today, 3rd times the charm right? It has to be! So I dragged my entire family again to the Fremont Tesla center, driving through an hours worth of traffic from Berkeley, abandoning our friend's party plans only to find out that despite the dent now being fixed, the bumper sensor is now showing red again, and the rear diffuser now has an inch size cut through it as if someone accidentally sanded it down. Imagine the Motorola smart watch flat tire on the bottom of the display, that's what it looked like.

I'm a huge huge huge fan of Tesla and Elon. I have two model 3s on pre-order. I went into the Tesla center on El Camino and put down two thousand dollars before evening seeing the model 3 unveil last year. I stayed up to see the first successful landing of the spaceX falcon rocket. I talk about Elon and how he's changing the world to all my friends and family who would hear it from me for the nth time over. And don't get me wrong, I feel extremely blessed to be living where I live, be able to have a great job and afford a 100K car but you've really got to be kidding me right? I must be the most unlucky Model X delivery recipient of all time. In fact, the lady at the door signing people in already knew me by first name walking in.

As much as I really wanted to take delivery of my Model X, I'm literally exhausted. I've tried guys, I've really tried. And I've used up all the good will I could muster for it with my family but they've lost all interest. I really hope that Tesla will continue to innovate but also learn from where others have perfected - quality control and assembly. Despite being one of the first into the field of EV, all the other big guns now are closing the gap.

As for me, I had no choice but to ask for a refund, this was truly an exceptional circumstance that I hope does not repeat for anyone else. I leave you all with the beautiful Obsidian Black Metallic that I fell in love with and will now only enjoy from memory. And for the Model 3s on pre-order, I just don't know...

I really wish they did a better job handling your car. You are having issues that moderately early owners (like myself) didn't have. It really is a mix experience with Tesla service, sometimes they do a great job handling your car but at other times they don't. I haven't been to the SC for a few months, which is a good thing, but I hope they service quality significantly improves.

I think they need to double or even triple the number of service centers in California. Since they are over crowded they have to rush. There is only one service center that is close to me but they have 3 stores in a similar vicinity. Oppose to car dealerships, for instance you can find a Honda dealership in just about every other city.

Reactions: boaterva
This is insane. I’ll post more elsewhere but I had my delivery Saturday at Tyson’s (Northern Virginia) and in contrast the only thing wrong with the car was a minor adjustment to the charging port door. (Slight misalignment had it not closing properly.) I’m not rubbing it in at all, but just to show Tesla’s number one problem is inconsistency. We go to delivery and are terrified we will get the OP’s experience and I was out in 45 minutes with one minor issue fixed on the spot and nothing else at all. I spent 15 minutes going over the car while they processed my trade in and found nothing from the great X checklist. (As more info, car has the new windshield for the ghosting issue as well.)

This sort of variability, no matter the cause, (geography, EOQ) will be a major problem if it kills people that are major fans.

Reactions: R.S and rreedd
I’m truly sorry for your loss in interest. I really am. I took delivery of my MX in January, I was way too excited and I did not thoroughly check all the issues people have been having here. I just drove off only to start noticing issues afterwards. First I’ve noticed the cracking noises from the FWD. I took it to the service shop and they had it fixed. Then while I was washing the car, I’ve noticed the roof panel of the FWD is not sealed properly. I took it to service and they told me they have to order the parts and will call me as soon as they receive it. It took 2 months for them to call me. But they did fix it and was very apologetic for the wait time. I really think Tesla has the best customer services in the world for a car company. Though obviously it’s their fault but they do take the matter into their own hands, unlike BMW. I’ve had the air conditioning issue with my previous car BMW X3. I’ve noticed it 2 days after I took delivery of the car on a hot summer day with my whole family in the car as well. I took the car back and they took it in. 2 days later I received a phone call telling me that it’s working fine now but it might occur again since they did not discover the issue and I was told to pick up the car and if the issue arises again, bring it back in. I was not at all pleased since it’s a brand new car and on the receipt they actually charged $1200 for pre-delivery inspection. Obviously someone had only one job and did not do it properly. I was furious when I went to the dealship and told them I wanted a refund on that charge. What they told me I will remember for the rest of my life. They said “No that’s not going to happen. We have fixed it for you already. It could be the way how you parked the car or you could have done things to do it and try to blame us for it.” I was literally speechless. They tried to point fingers at me instead of apologizing. After a few rounds of confrontations, I just got tired of everything, I just took the car and left. And I thought to myself BMW will no longer get anymore of my sales ever or even my families and friends’. I guess what I’m trying to say is Tesla has their own issues for sure, but they really do care for you and would take matters in their own hands. And that’s how you get things done. And other brands has issues too, maybe less frequent but still happens. But obviously due to the dealership business model, they would try to blame others rather than owning up to the issues. Which one would you pick?

Reactions: avesraggiana

So sorry for your experiences. I hope I don't have this happen to me on Saturday for my delivery. You should have been taken care of with more attention to detail and this could have easily been prevented.

Last edited:
I did not take delivery yesterday. They gave me a loaner instead and I will have to go back tomorrow to redo the paperwork and get my Tesla again. On a side note, while reviewing a video I took during the brief time I was in the car, I now notice that there is something wrong with the FWD. It seems to only be on the right side of the door and near the top. Needless to say, I will now be going over the car with a fine tooth comb before I finally sign off on the car.

Ooops. How could they have missed a flaw like that? And how could it have been allowed to ship in that condition? Finally, I wonder how well vetted and closely monitored the factory workers are. They sure seem to miss a lot of things, and they seem to be prone to shoddy workmanship.

I’m so sorry for your experience, and I’m now getting a little apprehensive about mine. I was incredibly lucky with the delivery of my Model S earlier this year, and I hope my luck holds up. ONE flaw with my car, that I noticed only after driving away. A left of centre steering wheel when pointed in the wheels straight ahead direction. It took a few hours to fix it. That was it.

I’ve just placed an order for a Model X100D and again, I hope my quality control and positive delivery experience hold up.

Did Tesla honour your request for a refund? I’m wondering if they’re now going to sell your car in their New Car Inventory.

Last edited:
I have a 28-Dec MX and had the exact same problem. They replaced all the glass on the FWD area. Took about 2 weeks to get parts and they had the MX for 8 days while waiting for a second and then third parts order.

It's all good now.
I had to wait for roughly the same amount of time. The only difference is that they did not take my car in that early. I waited for roughly 6 weeks for the parts to arrive and then they asked me to take the car in for service. It took slightly over a week for the replacement. Ended up getting a S85 for that week. I don't mind at all sending my car in for service as long as I get a Tesla loaner. That feeling of picking up a spotless car is priceless :D