Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Prototype at Texas lobbying event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Just received this via email from Tesla. Old X or new X?

As an advocate of Tesla in Texas, we invite you to help kick off the legislative session this Thursday at the State Capitol. We will host an owner meet up to support Tesla's efforts to introduce legislation to allow U.S.-based manufactures of all-electric or all-battery powered vehicles to sell and service directly to Texas consumers.At 1:00 PM, CEO Elon Musk will make his way to the Capitol to speak to our advocates and thank them for their support. The Model X Design Prototype will also be on display. Parking will be available to Tesla Owners. If you are unable to attend, you're welcome to contact your State Senator or State Representative to show your support for Tesla in Texas.

Last edited:
My guess it's the old X prototype that Panasonic just displayed at CES.
I sure wish they had given more than 2 days notice for this event at the Capitol. There would be much better turnout if they had. Also the local owners group made it known we want to help with the legislature any way we can, and we weren't given any heads up to help publicize this.

The actual first public appearance of the new production prototype Model X will almost certainly be a big Tesla event at Hawthorne, like the Dual Motor and Autopilot event. This event will surely have the white show car from 2012 that we've seen several times before.

The actual first public appearance of the new production prototype Model X will almost certainly be a big Tesla event at Hawthorne, like the Dual Motor and Autopilot event. This event will surely have the white show car from 2012 that we've seen several times before.
However, one way to shine a bright light on the antiquated Texas dealer laws is to announce and make the X reveal in Austin. That would get a lot more than the local news there!

Unless you see Bonnie jumping for joy on this thread (or somewhere else) it is unlikely to be an X reveal. Cause there is no way in the world she would miss that one haha!
Thank you chickensevil, I came back to make almost exactly that same point.
It's definitely fun to imagine Tesla sticking their thumb in the auto dealers' eyes with the X reveal. But if such an event were to happen surely they would have sent out invites to reservation holders and we surely would have heard about it on the forum.

Good for all.

Now: why would Tesla not also then take this show to Texas's near-neighbor, and repeat the event at the Arizona Statehouse?

Based on previous commentary it is my understanding that Texas legistlative session is fresh starting their new season right now, and their intention is to settle this issue by the end of the season. This is to beat out the previous comments by Texas legislature in which someone said it takes 3 seasons (3 years) to get something done. Elon said they would do it in 2. So this is all timed with that, and that is the reason for the early start. Since they don't have money like everyone else does, they need to use the full season to work on people get them won over. Also they don't tend to do things in the shadows... so getting an early start should bring this issue fully to light and let them fight it out for the entire year in the light of day (which is where Tesla's position is strongest anyway).

I'm starting to get tired of this. Tesla has recycled this "prototype" so much that it isn't even news. I'm not sure why they even bother mentioning it.

On the other hand, Tesla, if you have some real news to report on the MX (i.e. a beta) or some insight into the features/pricing then that would be a very welcome report seeing as we're closing in on the release date...

Correction/Clarification to the above, for non-Texans: the Texas Legislature meets every 2 years, in odd-numbered years, for about the first 5 months of the year. The conventional wisdom is that it takes 3 sessions to get something "controversial" done. Per Diarmuid O'Connell's presentation at TMC Connect, Elon Musk wants to get this done in 2 sessions. 2013 was 1, 2015 is 2.

More discussion in the 2015 Texas Legislative Session Discussion Thread.

Thanks for the correction on that. I have a great memory... most days... but that one was butchered badly, so I really appreciate it. The major takeaway I was hoping to get across is that the goal is to get this taken care of this year. Based on your information it would be terrible if they had to wait until 2017 to get this pushed through. That would really hurt their Model 3 launch.