Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Studio - Canadian prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just logged on to "My Tesla". I placed a deposit on a Model X in February of 2013, and I believe I'm non-Sig reservation holder #32 in Canada. I'm shocked at the pricing. The base price is $130,800 with no options, and it shoots up to $222,400 fully loaded. I will either need to defer ordering for some time, or sell my early spot in line to someone willing to pay a premium.
JP

I just logged on to "My Tesla". I placed a deposit on a Model X in February of 2013, and I believe I'm non-Sig reservation holder #32 in Canada. I'm shocked at the pricing. The base price is $130,800 with no options, and it shoots up to $222,400 fully loaded. I will either need to defer ordering for some time, or sell my early spot in line to someone willing to pay a premium.
JP
John, can you post some screen shots?
The problem is that Tesla is pricing now almost exactly based on the Canadian U.S. Exchange rates.
Most other car companies in Canada have not dramatically increased their prices like this.
I fear Tesla will not sell many Model X here now because of this.

image.tiff
image.tiff

- - - Updated - - -

image.tiff

I belive Jgdixon is correct in surmising the reason for the price increase.

I suspect it is more important from a rollout perspective to not lose profit margin on cars due to the currency fluctuations. Purchasing an american made car such as a Tesla 3 years ago was a steal given the high canadian dollar value. Unfortunately it is a little different today.

Based on the current Canadaian pricing of the Model S, it would in fact appear that the Model X is 20 to 25% more expensive depending on which options are chosen. This directly contradicts Elon's statement that the X would be about 5% more than the sedan. After placing a $5000 deposit in February of 2013 in good faith, and waiting patiently for three years, I feel very angry and disappointed that I have been deliberatly deceived by Tesla Motors. I am tempted to cancel my order, and I am sure many other Canadians will as well.
JP

Tesla has made website pricing "errors" before jp... have you tried verifying the website price with one of the stores?

Based on the current Canadaian pricing of the Model S, it would in fact appear that the Model X is 20 to 25% more expensive depending on which options are chosen. This directly contradicts Elon's statement that the X would be about 5% more than the sedan. After placing a $5000 deposit in February of 2013 in good faith, and waiting patiently for three years, I feel very angry and disappointed that I have been deliberatly deceived by Tesla Motors. I am tempted to cancel my order, and I am sure many other Canadians will as well.
JP

John, can you post some screen shots?
The problem is that Tesla is pricing now almost exactly based on the Canadian U.S. Exchange rates.
Most other car companies in Canada have not dramatically increased their prices like this.
I fear Tesla will not sell many Model X here now because of this.

True. The 2015 Lincoln Mkc we bought a year ago has not changed in price at all since then and it's entirely made in Kentucky!! Shame Tesla has to adjust their prices so high. We're going to see a dramatic drop in Tesla Model S/X sales up here because of this.

I have been in touch with Tesla. Here is a copy of an e-mail I send this morning:

Good Morning Martin,

This is in follow-up to our phone conversation from yesterday. I have been a loyal customer since I placed my order for my Model S in November of 2011. I have driven over 105000 Km, and I am thrilled by the car, and by the customer service you have provided. I have made multiple referrals, long before the referral program was in place, and I even donated my Model S to be used for ten days at the Toronto International Auto Show in 2014 for display in the Plug-and-Drive booth, at a time when Tesla did not have enough inventory to display a car. I have also given very positive interviews for the Wheels section of the Toronto Star, and CBC television and radio about my ownership experience.

When the Model X was first unveiled in February of 2013, I immediately placed a $5000 deposit in good faith with the understanding that the vehicle would cost about 5% more than the sedan. This was indicated by Elon Musk at that time, and confirmed again since then. To my shock and dismay, I logged on to "My Tesla" on your website yesterday to find the Canadian price for the Model X starting at $119000 with no options, and increasing to $225000 loaded. This is almost 20% more than the current price of the Model S with similar options. To be quite frank, I feel angry and disappointed that I have been waiting patiently for three years, to find that the price of the vehicle is not as was promised. I feel that I have been deceived. It takes years to establish a rapport with a customer, but only one bad experience to ruin that trust.

At this price, the Model X is out of my current price range. I am not sure what market segment you are targeting, but I am sure that you will see many cancellations of Canadian pre-orders due to the very high sticker price. I am not sure what can be done to honour the previously suggested price, but based on the currently listed price, I unfortunately may need to cancel me order and request that my deposit be refunded.

Sincerely,

John L. Preiner

What's unfortunate is that if everyone who had put a $5000 down-payment in February 2013 had instead bought $5k of TSLA stock, they'd now have ~$28,500 USD that they could apply against the Model X.

And we are penalized only because Telsa multiple releasing delays. I don't really see a benefit at all of 3 years waiting vs. someone can reserve today and configure tomorrow.