Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Studio - Canadian prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @global.

Wow that is extremely depressing... my guess is they will lose most of their Canadian orders. Sad :(

I guess the problem is that it is production constrained and the higher profit will help them with the cashflow and the upcoming Model 3 expansion.

Same thing happened when the Roadsters were released. Tesla jacked up the price after the fact and most customers didn't bulk, which helped paving the way for Model S production.

I guess the problem is that it is production constrained and the higher profit will help them with the cashflow and the upcoming Model 3 expansion.

Same thing happened when the Roadsters were released. Tesla jacked up the price after the fact and most customers didn't bulk, which helped paving the way for Model S production.

I completely understand it happening with the Roadster -- that was their first car and they publicly admitted they were using it to raise money for the next-generation car/platform. But the ModelX comes at a time where the company has matured, and it is supposed to be a less-expensive slightly-higher-mass-marketed car than the Roadster. However at the price range it's currently at in Canada, it is the opposite and it will likely have the opposite intended effect on Tesla customers and potential Tesla customers.

If, in the end, Tesla doesn't really care if it sells many Xes in Canada, then I suppose this strategy works, but if they do want to sell Model X in Canada, it's going to be an uphill battle at these prices.

Tesla doesn't even bother to send us an email that Design Studio is available now. A P90D is more expensive than SigX configured earlier this year only because Tesla made us wait longer...not impressed.

Email are sent out in most cases a day after opening the design studio. I got mine today. Useless anyway. I agree our whole family's interestand enthusiasm blew away. Even my teen kids were stunned. I have not yet seen anyone who has confirmed ordering it.

I am sorry to hear that the X price is significantly more of an increase over the S than Tesla indicated it would be a few years ago, but...isn't much of that unexpected increase due to the changed US$/Can$ exchange rate?
I do sympathize with my neighbors to the north! That price differential sucks. I am only suggesting that much of the difference may be outside Tesla's control.

Hopefully, our dollar will go up with the price of oil, and when the gigafactory is pumping out batteries the 6.1% tariff will come off. I know, it's no consolation to anyone who has reserved and wants one now (my sympathy goes out to you), but hopefully things will get better down the road.

Last edited:
Hopefully, our dollar will go up with the price of oil, and when the gigafactory is pumping out batteries the 6.1% tariff will come off. I know, it's no consolidation to anyone who has reserved and wants one now (my sympathy goes out to you), but hopefully things will get better down the road.

I sure hope so. Model X prices are ludicrous...

- - - Updated - - -

Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Maserrati are not yet selling their vehicles based on the exchange rate.

Add Ford/Lincoln to that list too. My Mkc I bought a year hasn't changed a dime in cost. Tesla has gone up 27% since last year.

The final price for the S was significantly higher than initially indicated as well. Should be no surprise here really.

There are a combination of issues here. The US/CDN exchange rate is really impacting the price, but the base config is less 'loaded' than I think that most of us thought it would be as well. Unless you are looking at a 'stripper', you are into at least $160K to $170K including taxes. My guess is that many people who placed orders thought that they were looking at a $100K - $120K vehicle.

I think that this is going to be a tough sell for Tesla at those prices in this market. I could be wrong, but with the Canadian economy weak, I would think that there are a limited pool of people willing to pay that much money for version 1.0 of a SUV.

Well I got the configure now email. OUCH! I am number 70 something in Canada and that is after accidentally being put on the American waitlist...so I think my deposit was April 2012 or something like that. Anyhow at the time I never imagined my planned family hauler would be the same price as a supercar ie. the new Mclaren 540C. A lease will be more than my mortgage payments monthly. The huge delay never bothered me, until now. We just bought our first electric vehicle a few weeks ago, and really like the kia soul. OUr family would of loved to go all electric....but that is now just a (no) pipe dream.

shocked at the news this morning.

Regardless if its due to the dollar tanking or not, this news still sucks.
Guess seeing the X on Canadian roads is going to be quite a sight.

Model 3 hasn't even been announced yet but if this is any indication, it might be tough sell for more modest canadians in a year and a half from now as well :(

Autopilot for S is $3,300 CAD but for X is $3,700 CAD, even though they're each $2,5000 USD, or $3,000 USD if you just order online after delivery. You gotta wonder whether someone at TESLA made a mistake in the Candian Design Studio.

AND IT'S just over the air software ware update:cursing:. It is absolutely so disappointing, I have started looking around for a ICE, can buy a fully loaded top of the line model for half the price of a fully loaded P90D.

I hate all gas cars and never enjoyed buying a car. Prior to the S I had a Prius. I am willing to pay extra to drive an electric car and I'm willing to pay a lot extra to buy a Tesla. But even that has its limits. For me, the Canadian price is just too high to rationalize. And I've been trying.

Isnt the X70D $80,000 in the USA? This would be 50% over their price.

Model S 70D is 75k USD and 101,900 cdn...

Equivalent conversion % on X 70D should be $108,693.

Either way it's out of my ballpark. Maybe in 4 or 5 years when I can get a CPO X70D for under 80k.

I hate all gas cars and never enjoyed buying a car. Prior to the S I had a Prius. I am willing to pay extra to drive an electric car and I'm willing to pay a lot extra to buy a Tesla. But even that has its limits. For me, the Canadian price is just too high to rationalize. And I've been trying.

Same here. Wanted to go green but with the tag price just can't. Going hybrid now. Really upset to have waited a year to make this decision.

Maybe the dollar can somehow get back to par in the next few years and when the gigafactory comes online we won't have import tax, making our prices exactly the same as in the USA. I'd pay 80k for a new X70D in a heartbeat. (I'd add AP, 6 seat config, and a colour upgrade of course tho, call it 90k with destination.)

Maybe the dollar can somehow get back to par in the next few years...

I think our only hope for an at par dollar in a few years is if Trump gets elected and does to the US economy what happened in 2008.

But I'm hopeful we will be up to about 85₵ in a few years with oil predicted to be at $60/barrel at that time. In five years, at $90/barrel (as some predict) we should be in the 90's₵.

This Model X pricing is very disappointing. I've been really looking forward to putting in my reservation for the X (I'm waiting for my house to sell...). I really don't understand the reason the price differential between the S and the X is so great. I can't imagine there would be any more import duties or other costs that much greater for an SUV vs a sedan. I am fortunate in that I would be able to pay the higher price if I wanted to, but there is no way on this planet I am going to drop that kind of money. I believe in paying for value and the premium of being an early adopter but I detest being ripped off and will go to great lengths to avoid it.