Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Studio Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats a pretty big deal, why did they hide it from all of us early buyers?

Maybe there was a shortage of the 72A chargers for a while, but now that production is going slower than expected the supply of chargers can meet the demand? It seemed weird to me that Elon was quoted somewhere as saying that 72A was unnecessary - it seems like something he was told to say just to get people to order some of the cars without it.

I know in my own company we have had to resort to similar tactics when supply of an optional accessory is low. We try to hide the availability in some way so that the people who really need / want it, get it, while at the same time preventing people who just always buy every option from eating up the remaining supply of what is a crucial accessory for some. The last thing you want to do is let everyone know you are running low or people will begin hoarding...

It seems I found a bug since we haven't had anyone else confirm they see the option without the easter egg code.

Or, I'm just special.

No I don't really think that. Haha! ;-)

I mentioned in another thread that I see the 72 amp charger option in any browser. I just confirmed again. It's there in Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox. No easter egg code needed.

Maybe there was a shortage of the 72A chargers for a while, but now that production is going slower than expected the supply of chargers can meet the demand? It seemed weird to me that Elon was quoted somewhere as saying that 72A was unnecessary - it seems like something he was told to say just to get people to order some of the cars without it.

In the 72A thread, there was a spirited discussion for a while about whether the charger upgrade only "enabled" 72A charging, but the hardware was the same. No real information came out of that rumor, but the one spreading it was adamant!

Thanks. Good to know I'm not special. Or crazy. ;-)

Does anyone else imagine a group of psychologists standing behind the developers? Design Studio on one screen, TMC forums on the other.
"Change the accessory hitch to 2 inches...change it back!...back again!"
"Hide the 72A charger...show it...hide it..."
"Change the name of that wheel"
"Tweak that price"

All the while the psychologists furiously write notes as the forums light up with every change. We're all part of a big Cabin In The Woods-style experiment...

Does anyone else imagine a group of psychologists standing behind the developers? Design Studio on one screen, TMC forums on the other.
"Change the accessory hitch to 2 inches...change it back!...back again!"
"Hide the 72A charger...show it...hide it..."
"Change the name of that wheel"
"Tweak that price"

All the while the psychologists furiously write notes as the forums light up with every change. We're all part of a big Cabin In The Woods-style experiment...
When did Tesla start hiring from Facebook? ;-)

I also see the 72A option when I go into the Design Studio, never used the "Easter Egg" option. Just went to the Design Studio, 72A option right below "Accessory Hitch" option.

I don't know why I'm somewhat fascinated by this...

Just to test I just opened up a brand new browser I never use, logged into the design studio, no 72A. Typed the easter egg, it showed up. Exited and went back in, no 72A option. So odd!

Tonight I went in to edit my proposed order (reserved, not ordered). It was cool that the design studio was upgraded a bit ago to remember my configuration. Tonight when I selected "edit my design" the design studio did not fully load. Hopefully it's just an error for tonight and will be working by the am. Just in case, anyone else having this issue?