Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it is promised, then it should be delivered. I can see the challenges in lane keeping as it deals with road pavement marking, weather condition, and the danger to life and safety, so I am willing to give them some slack. I keep asking myself, if the sensors are sufficient, and software update by OTA is the practice, why can't Tesla not incrementally release the AP with the self parking first? Would you not agree that self parking should be a piece of cake for Tesla (since it is older technology), and after 10 months, unless they encountered some unforeseen H/W difficulty?

I do not agree. It's not indicative of anything besides their priorities.

I have had a decent nav for... o.... I dunno maybe 12 years now. Teslas nav is a joke, even though they're based on Google maps.

Don't you think if evtripplanner could do such a good job at estimating charge and navigating through superchargers that Tesla would have updated their crazy beta route planning?

All of those are easy to do, but they have their priorities elsewhere.

Short on details, but looks like X has side-facing sensors and what sounded like active collision avoidance based on steering as well as breaking.

Tesla Rolls Out Improved v7.0 Software Update to Beta Testers - TESLARATI.com

Side Collision Warning has been shown in the release notes of Version 7.0 using the current Autopilot 1.0 hardware on the Model S. I think we're going to still have to wait to see if there are significant Autopilot hardware upgrades.

EDIT: Tesla’s Model X is finally here, and I got to drive it | The Verge

"As with recent builds of the Model S, the X features Autopilot — Tesla's semi-autonomous driving system — and the company says that both vehicles will stay in lockstep as Autopilot becomes more advanced and new software builds roll out."

And there we have it. No Autopilot upgrades over the Model S.

Tesla Rolls Out Improved v7.0 Software Update to Beta Testers - TESLARATI.com

Side Collision Warning has been shown in the release notes of Version 7.0 using the current Autopilot 1.0 hardware on the Model S. I think we're going to still have to wait to see if there are significant Autopilot hardware upgrades.

According to "The Verge" at least that drove and interviewed Tesla on the topic, states that "The cars will stay in lock-step" as far as autopilot software/functionality improvements. That and from the limited reveal tonight, seems like the same AP hardware. Same IC/main display hardware, etc. Makes sense.

They did state some slight main display spec improvements to improve touch/clarity - but no snappier, etc.

Last edited:
According to "The Verge" at least that drove and interviewed Tesla on the topic, states that "The cars will stay in lock-step" as far as autopilot software/functionality improvements. That and from the limited reveal tonight, seems like the same AP hardware. Same IC/main display hardware, etc. Makes sense.

Yes, I seemed to be in the minority here that they wouldn't upgrade the X's Autopilot hardware significantly when they're still working on getting 1.0 fully functional. Maybe there will be some enhancements that come to light, but it doesn't appear (from articles like "The Verge" and the launch event) that there's anything significant.

EDIT: Also further confirmation from Tesla's official press release for the event: "Every Model X carries a forward-looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors to enable advanced autopilot features. Tesla's over-the-air software updates regularly improve the sophistication of these features, enabling increasingly capable safety and convenience features like Autosteer and Autopark, and bringing the Model X ever closer to autonomous operation." As you can see, no additional cameras ("forward looking camera"), no mention of additional radar, and the same 360 sonic sensors. Based upon this, the announcement, The Verge, and many photos of the car from the event, I see not a single upgrade to Autopilot.

Last edited:
They did state some slight main display spec improvements to improve touch/clarity - but no snappier, etc.

My biggest (and pretty much only) complaint about the Model S is that the GPU needs a serious overhaul. Musk once commented that people shouldn't have fast phones and tablets, then get into their car and be disappointed. Well, the iPad Air 2 (almost a year old now) is orders of magnitude faster and more responsive and costs only $499 at retail. There's no excuse not to regularly upgrade that CPU/GPU for the UI. Visually, I think the main display is fine, but an OLED with true blacks would be helpful for night driving.

Short on details, but looks like X has side-facing sensors and what sounded like active collision avoidance based on steering as well as breaking.

Congrats MsElectric! You called it.

Sadly that's the only AP change it appears.

No 360 degree cameras. No stereoscopic front camera. No rear radar. No side radars. Sigh...

S/he was correct, but I think s/he was also expecting a major overhaul, which we did not get.

No 360 degree cameras. No stereoscopic front camera. No rear radar. No side radars. Sigh...

Darn I was expecting at least something to be improved over the S as far as AP is concerned. Elon was quotes 6+ months ago that it would be a step above the S so perhaps he was only referring to the new side-facing sensors. Yesterday, I heard quotes that the X and S would have the same features...but still held out hope that it meant both would be receiving upgraded hardware. Looking at the Design Studio, there is no mention at all of autopilot features for the X yet the S still has a large part of the page mentioning it.

While the X looks nice, it doesn't have all (any) of the bells and whistles I was hoping for. Chances are higher today that I will be going for an S instead of an X. Then again, I guess that's what they want in order to boost their quarter 4 numbers. Hmph.

Hold on, look here, are those stereoscopic cameras on the front of the Model X?

attachment.php?attachmentid=96103&d=1443621260.jpg

S/he was correct, but I think s/he was also expecting a major overhaul, which we did not get.

There's zero evidence so far that the new side ultrasonic is used for anything other than door height.

We need to wait and see. I don't believe the middle of the door is an optimal Autopilot sensor location. It is, however, a necessary location for the Falcon wing detecting ceiling height.

Autopilot 1.0 already has 360 degree ultrasonics and 7.0 firmware release notes show the S with the same "Side Collision Avoidance" upgrade.

EDIT: I would also suggest an ultrasonic behind metal would severely harm its long-range abilities and its field of view. For a mission-critical function that requires maximum range at high speeds, I wouldn't share a sensor with a slow, short-range static ceiling detector.

Last edited:
Yes, I seemed to be in the minority here that they wouldn't upgrade the X's Autopilot hardware significantly when they're still working on getting 1.0 fully functional. Maybe there will be some enhancements that come to light, but it doesn't appear (from articles like "The Verge" and the launch event) that there's anything significant.

EDIT: Also further confirmation from Tesla's official press release for the event: "Every Model X carries a forward-looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors to enable advanced autopilot features. Tesla's over-the-air software updates regularly improve the sophistication of these features, enabling increasingly capable safety and convenience features like Autosteer and Autopark, and bringing the Model X ever closer to autonomous operation." As you can see, no additional cameras ("forward looking camera"), no mention of additional radar, and the same 360 sonic sensors. Based upon this, the announcement, The Verge, and many photos of the car from the event, I see not a single upgrade to Autopilot.

I may have spoken too soon. The reason for my initial reaction was the speech at the event specifically called out sensor coverage on the sides and side-collision avoidance, which the S does not have. The implication being, 4 people at least drove away with X's that already have this feature today, and that's a separate issue from lane following (which will ship on both models at once, supposedly).

Obviously this is not a huge difference in AP hardware/capabilities even if true. But the question becomes, is it even true? Or is this confusion on Elon's part in the speech - and this is just the same feature that the S will have with 7.0, and the X does not actually have it now, at launch, either?

I may have spoken too soon. The reason for my initial reaction was the speech at the event specifically called out sensor coverage on the sides and side-collision avoidance, which the S does not have. The implication being, 4 people at least drove away with X's that already have this feature today, and that's a separate issue from lane following (which will ship on both models at once, supposedly).

Obviously this is not a huge difference in AP hardware/capabilities even if true. But the question becomes, is it even true? Or is this confusion on Elon's part in the speech - and this is just the same feature that the S will have with 7.0, and the X does not actually have it now, at launch, either?

I think it's safe to say the Model X did not launch with Autopilot 2.0, much less Autopilot 1.1. No matter how you slice or dice it, there are no announced or observed enhancements to Autopilot hardware at the launch event. The press release from last night lists the exact same hardware as the original Autopilot. Furthermore, Tesla has made it clear the X and S will have feature parity on Autopilot. So, when a hardware upgrade comes, both models will start coming off the line with it.

On another thread, someone stated Autopilot was disabled on Elon's car despite having 7.0 software. Because of this, I do not believe it has been activated yet and they didn't want his car to be showing beta software. I believe it will be "turned on" in about a month at the same time for both the S and the X. (Of course, it's highly likely the first 4 Founders would be invited into the beta program.)

Again, the Model S 7.0 Release Notes specify "Blind Spot Prevention" has been upgraded to "Side Collision Avoidance." Yesterday was Tesla's first official announcement of the feature, but it was previously leaked as a feature for the Model S with Autopilot 1.0 hardware. I don't see any reason why "Side Collision Avoidance" on the S and X would be called the same exact thing and function differently.

I have never doubted incremental upgrades. However, I always highly doubted that the hardware would splinter before 1.0 was fully utilized. At this point, we should turn the speculation to when we'll see Autopilot 2.0 on both the S and X. Eventually we will see new Autopilot hardware, but it wasn't with the X launch. My prediction is that we'll see major Autopilot upgrades as their own announcements, independent of car model.

The most compelling feature I'd love to see moved over is the new air filter. The only negative experience I regularly have in my Tesla is being stuck behind garbage trucks and scooters/motorcycles. Of everything shown, this is what I'd most like to see brought over. I'd happily pay to retrofit it, but I highly doubt that will be doable.