Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most compelling feature I'd love to see moved over is the new air filter. The only negative experience I regularly have in my Tesla is being stuck behind garbage trucks and scooters/motorcycles. Of everything shown, this is what I'd most like to see brought over. I'd happily pay to retrofit it, but I highly doubt that will be doable.

Do we know yet where the massive air filter is fitted in the X? It may just not fit in the S if, for example, it's fitted vertically in the X.

We don't know. My guess is behind the rear wall of the X funk, which could in part explain why the X frunk is smaller than some people expected.
This is correct.

section-safety-hero.jpg

I think it's safe to say the Model X did not launch with Autopilot 2.0, much less Autopilot 1.1. No matter how you slice or dice it, there are no announced or observed enhancements to Autopilot hardware at the launch event. The press release from last night lists the exact same hardware as the original Autopilot. Furthermore, Tesla has made it clear the X and S will have feature parity on Autopilot. So, when a hardware upgrade comes, both models will start coming off the line with it.

On another thread, someone stated Autopilot was disabled on Elon's car despite having 7.0 software. Because of this, I do not believe it has been activated yet and they didn't want his car to be showing beta software. I believe it will be "turned on" in about a month at the same time for both the S and the X. (Of course, it's highly likely the first 4 Founders would be invited into the beta program.)

Again, the Model S 7.0 Release Notes specify "Blind Spot Prevention" has been upgraded to "Side Collision Avoidance." Yesterday was Tesla's first official announcement of the feature, but it was previously leaked as a feature for the Model S with Autopilot 1.0 hardware. I don't see any reason why "Side Collision Avoidance" on the S and X would be called the same exact thing and function differently.

I have never doubted incremental upgrades. However, I always highly doubted that the hardware would splinter before 1.0 was fully utilized. At this point, we should turn the speculation to when we'll see Autopilot 2.0 on both the S and X. Eventually we will see new Autopilot hardware, but it wasn't with the X launch. My prediction is that we'll see major Autopilot upgrades as their own announcements, independent of car model.

That was the same conclusion I drew. It was the way the speech was worded had me questioning this. In a list of new features of the X, why throw in one that isn't X-specific at all, and isn't actually in the X yet (but describing it as if it is)? Why mention just side-collision avoidance but not talk about any other aspect of the autopilot? Anything is possible... But of course this could just be confusing speech-writing or delivery. They're listing safety features. Etc.

In any case I am not too proud to admit if I guessed wrong, or that I heard wrong. :biggrin:

That was the same conclusion I drew. It was the way the speech was worded had me questioning this. In a list of new features of the X, why throw in one that isn't X-specific at all, and isn't actually in the X yet (but describing it as if it is)? Why mention just side-collision avoidance but not talk about any other aspect of the autopilot? Anything is possible... But of course this could just be confusing speech-writing or delivery. They're listing safety features. Etc.

In any case I am not too proud to admit if I guessed wrong, or that I heard wrong. :biggrin:

It's not about being right or wrong. We're all just guessing and having fun in the end. At some point there will be new hardware. And honestly, the sooner we get to autonomous driving, the better. Faster hardware updates would be awesome.

I'm just happy they (apparently) didn't splinter the hardware. If the S, X, and 3 all share sensor suites, I feel it will accelerate Tesla as a whole. My favorite takeaway is that Tesla stated the S and X will be "lock-step" with Autopilot features. All I'd like is to see the X and current S get the new hardware at the exact same time. So if the Sig X gets a new stereo camera in a few months, I'd just like to see any newly ordered S have it as well.

How would people here feel about the Model X style of front being adapted to the Model S? This was posted to Reddit recently (thanks to forum member ohmman for finding):

View attachment 96220

IMO it works very well with the long hood and sleek profile of Model S.

Ew hate it. Someone on Jalopnik linked a picture of Neo with his mouth melting shut from the first Matrix in response to the X nose. I'll stick with my nosecone.

How would people here feel about the Model X style of front being adapted to the Model S? This was posted to Reddit recently (thanks to forum member ohmman for finding):

IMO it works very well with the long hood and sleek profile of Model S.

I actually kind of like it, and I think it will grow on me over time.

I do think it would look better in the darker colors though. It's a bit too much white for me.

From a tweet Elon posted earlier today, the Autopilot hardware is indeed the same, so there's no reason Model S can't also have side-collision avoidance:

image.jpeg