TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vitaliy, Sep 1, 2015.

Tags:
?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

1. I'm not in the market for Model S

12.1%
  2. No

44.8%
  3. Yes, until Model X goodies make it to Model S

32.8%
  4. Yes, until range is higher

1.7%
  5. Yes, for other reasons

8.6%
  1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Do we know yet where the massive air filter is fitted in the X? It may just not fit in the S if, for example, it's fitted vertically in the X.

2. robby

robby Member

Not sure. Even if they bring it to the S, I imagine there will be a chassis modification to fit it in. That's why I doubt it will be retrofittable in either case.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

We don't know. My guess is behind the rear wall of the X funk, which could in part explain why the X frunk is smaller than some people expected.

4. robby

robby Member

This is correct.

section-safety-hero.jpg

5. dow

dow Member

That was the same conclusion I drew. It was the way the speech was worded had me questioning this. In a list of new features of the X, why throw in one that isn't X-specific at all, and isn't actually in the X yet (but describing it as if it is)? Why mention just side-collision avoidance but not talk about any other aspect of the autopilot? Anything is possible... But of course this could just be confusing speech-writing or delivery. They're listing safety features. Etc.

In any case I am not too proud to admit if I guessed wrong, or that I heard wrong. :biggrin:

6. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

How would people here feel about the Model X style of front being adapted to the Model S? This was posted to Reddit recently (thanks to forum member ohmman for finding):

2xWV9Ym.jpg

IMO it works very well with the long hood and sleek profile of Model S.

7. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I like that the S and X have some style differences; I don't think they should change the S nose cone. I do like the X nose cone better! :smile:

8. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

It's not about being right or wrong. We're all just guessing and having fun in the end. At some point there will be new hardware. And honestly, the sooner we get to autonomous driving, the better. Faster hardware updates would be awesome.

I'm just happy they (apparently) didn't splinter the hardware. If the S, X, and 3 all share sensor suites, I feel it will accelerate Tesla as a whole. My favorite takeaway is that Tesla stated the S and X will be "lock-step" with Autopilot features. All I'd like is to see the X and current S get the new hardware at the exact same time. So if the Sig X gets a new stereo camera in a few months, I'd just like to see any newly ordered S have it as well.

9. Max*

Max* Charging

That's sexy. I like it.

10. Cerie

Cerie Member

Ew hate it. Someone on Jalopnik linked a picture of Neo with his mouth melting shut from the first Matrix in response to the X nose. I'll stick with my nosecone.

11. liuping

liuping Active Member

I actually kind of like it, and I think it will grow on me over time.

I do think it would look better in the darker colors though. It's a bit too much white for me.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

I like it as well. As others have mentioned, I've often thought the S had that gaping fish mouth look.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=56330&d=1407889189.jpg

13. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I also am a fan of it more on the MS than MX. Perhaps because it's shorter.

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

From a tweet Elon posted earlier today, the Autopilot hardware is indeed the same, so there's no reason Model S can't also have side-collision avoidance:

image.jpeg

15. boofagle

boofagle Member

I love that.