Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X design studio is here! What to expect for Model S?

Are you waiting with your Model S purchase?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
like this?

1285134934.jpg

Oh that is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Tan goes so well with that beautiful new wood trim.

I wonder if they'd ever make the new wood trim pieces available at a reasonable price.

- - - Updated - - -

Same style Drop-In Center Console for the S ...

But notice the one big HUGE improvement. The center console now matches the wood trim, as it should have from day 1.

Honestly at this price range the center console should be a standard a amenity (and if someone does not like it, they can leave it out). It is beyond ridiculous that for a car costing this much you have to buy a center console if you want to hide your media device and the cable that is plugged into the USB port.

What Model X features are coming to the Model S?

There is only a partial reveal of the X so far showing

Heated and Cooled seats
20 inch wheels
possibly some new trim options including trim matched centre console?

nothing so far on

360 camera view
higher spec sensors for autopilot
LED headlights (no front view of hte X as yet)

so actually great news for recent Model S orders/owners - your car is not about to be made obsolete!

spot anything else?

I think everyone is getting out in front of their skis with speculation on the Model X interior based on these computer renderings. The renderings were not intended for public consumption. They could easily be placeholders set up for the Sig buyers, based on the existing Model S interior but not reflecting what the X will actually look like. I actually think they look a little TOO much like the Model S pictures, where I would normally expect at least some variation (like in the cup holder/armrest and center console setup).

Basically, I don't think that Tesla has done the full reveal yet. That's going to wait until what will likely be a big September event.

There seems to be some expectation that some super-advanced features are being hidden or intentionally rendered incorrectly. I'm not sure why people think Tesla would put photos (or renderings) of the final design in a Design Studio, have people purchase the car, and then reveal a different "actual look" a couple weeks later? That's a lot of work and confusion... to what end? What would the motive be to deceive early adopters? Hiding design features from competitors for an extra couple weeks? Saving up for a massive launch event in hopes of better press?

It's a new long-awaited Tesla model. That will get the press. The general public wouldn't care about the things this forum's members care about, like "an extra camera or sensor for Autopilot" or "new cup holders." Heck, the original Autopilot hasn't even been fully activated yet.

I think what we see is what we'll get.

This bodes well for Model S sales NOT being cannibalized. I was afraid the Model X would receive a nicer interior, but now it looks like it shares much more in common with the current generation Model S. I don't see anything here that would make me want to get an X over an S. I previously felt that the X might represent a big leap beyond the current S, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Tesla is hiding the front end of the car for some reason, which tells me that there's something going on there - possibly more than just new headlights.

The most-commonly voiced opinion on the X thread is that Tesla is holding back all the goodies from the public to keep the S from being cannibalized.

I find that opinion a bit too wishful-thinkingish, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 360 degree camera option materialize...

The most-commonly voiced opinion on the X thread is that Tesla is holding back all the goodies from the public to keep the S from being cannibalized.

I find that opinion a bit too wishful-thinkingish, but I wouldn't mind seeing a 360 degree camera option materialize...

Every time someone asks about new features, better interior or body style current owners circle the wagons discouraging change.

Every time someone asks about new features, better interior or body style current owners circle the wagons discouraging change.

I've never seen anyone discourage new features like a 360 camera view.

There are usually people who complain they did not get the new feature because they ordered before it was available. But that is unavoidable if the car is to move forward.

There seems to be some expectation that some super-advanced features are being hidden or intentionally rendered incorrectly. I'm not sure why people think Tesla would put photos (or renderings) of the final design in a Design Studio, have people purchase the car, and then reveal a different "actual look" a couple weeks later? That's a lot of work and confusion... to what end? What would the motive be to deceive early adopters? Hiding design features from competitors for an extra couple weeks? Saving up for a massive launch event in hopes of better press?

It's a new long-awaited Tesla model. That will get the press. The general public wouldn't care about the things this forum's members care about, like "an extra camera or sensor for Autopilot" or "new cup holders." Heck, the original Autopilot hasn't even been fully activated yet.

I think what we see is what we'll get.

No one is saying they are hiding anything with the photos. Actually from the photos you can already tell of some interesting features like the lack of an A pillar and how the same piece of glass essentially goes over your head like you would in an airplane. We also know of the cooled seats and I'm sure the cooled seats will also be offered in the Model S.

What some are saying is that the Model X will have more advanced features that they are not divulging now mostly because they don't want it to affect current Model S sales.

It is almost guaranteed that the Model X will have ver. 2.0 Autopilot sensors and that alone is a big deal. Also I would be completely shocked a modern SUV like the Model X would lack 360 degree view as I'm sure that's a feature many owners with families will appreciate when they park and maneuver what is a quite large vehicle. The Model X might also have a better audio system and possibly a faster CPU as well.

The bottom line is they are keeping a bunch of toys and goodies for the reveal so they can make a big splash. It might take months for these new features to eventually appear in the Model S but sooner or later they well.

Last edited:
I've never really liked any of the interior wood trim options for the Model S. Obeche Wood is the only option I half liked but I never really loved it as it looked generic and in fact is what they use in the Chevrolet Malibu a while back.

I have to say I really like the more distinctive wood trim offered with the Model X and I hope it is also available in the Model S. The new wood trim looks so much better to me and I bet this would look even better with a tan interior.

View attachment 92630

Where is the exterior mirror?
It shows up in the Model S design studio!
Just sayin'!

Where is the exterior mirror?
It shows up in the Model S design studio!
Just sayin'!

They probably didn't get the regulatory permission in time to have a camera replace the side view mirror. It may or may not ship with glass mirrors and they have released photos of the Model X with and without the glass mirrors. Whatever happens at launch, it is only a matter of time until the glass mirrors go away.

In fact I would not be surprised if the rearview mirror of the Model X is actually a video screen :)