Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design Studio (oz)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With 90D MX orders getting vins in the US and the design studio now open in Europe how long do we think it will be before they open up the design studio with pricing in OZ? Anyone know or remember how long it took with the S after Europe opened to get access here?

Also interesting to note that reservations in the US up around 17000 are getting Vins below 2000. Seems that either a lot of reservation holders are holding out or Tesla is being very selective about which options to produce first aside from the obvious p90d / 90 etc.

Off the top of my head, Steve Jurvetson drove his first Model S out of the factory in June 2012.
At that time all an Australian could do was put down a deposit and get on the reservation queue, no pricing or configuration.
We waited until May 2014 before the configuration page was available and the first Australian cars were delivered in December 2014.
I don't think it will take 2 1/2 years for Model X to arrive but I doubt the first cars will arrive any earlier than late this year and most likely next year.

Off the top of my head, Steve Jurvetson drove his first Model S out of the factory in June 2012.
At that time all an Australian could do was put down a deposit and get on the reservation queue, no pricing or configuration.
We waited until May 2014 before the configuration page was available and the first Australian cars were delivered in December 2014.
I don't think it will take 2 1/2 years for Model X to arrive but I doubt the first cars will arrive any earlier than late this year and most likely next year.

Interesting. So if we were to get first deliveries by end of year then we might expect the design studio to open around May. Let's see how that goes for a prediction! Thanks for the reply Meloccom.

Elon Musk, at a recent event in Hong Kong, answered my question regarding Model X and RHD deliveries with "production will begin this summer (2016)".

Of course, that is probably "Tesla time", but I would now expect the first RHD deliveries to start this year.

I suspect that LHD->RHD for Model X is much easier than Model S because the cars share the same platform.

My prediction is 2019 for first deliveries unless there is a major culture shake up at Tesla.
They go for what they perceive as their major markets first. While the mechanicals and electrical are very similar to the S, the actual dash is not. So new dies for the substrates and new tooling for the finishers of said substrates.
If you look at it with time frame you won't be repeatedly disappointed as i was waiting the 4 years for the S.
I would have thought Australia was a much larger market for them than say Hong Kong or even Japan. First deliveries of the S went there though. (After England, of course).

My prediction is 2019 for first deliveries unless there is a major culture shake up at Tesla.
They go for what they perceive as their major markets first. While the mechanicals and electrical are very similar to the S, the actual dash is not. So new dies for the substrates and new tooling for the finishers of said substrates.
If you look at it with time frame you won't be repeatedly disappointed as i was waiting the 4 years for the S.
I would have thought Australia was a much larger market for them than say Hong Kong or even Japan. First deliveries of the S went there though. (After England, of course).

Sounds to me like wishful thinking Dborn. I'm willing to wager that we will have Model X's here well before 2019.

My predication is first half of 2017 for Model X in Australia. I think you guys were 3-to-6 months behind Hong Kong for Model S (which helped you out as our signature owners and early production got non-autopilot capable cars). Tesla are going to want to have Model X smoothly rolled out everywhere before they start with Model 3 production.

Elon Musk, at a recent event in Hong Kong, answered my question regarding Model X and RHD deliveries with "production will begin this summer (2016)".

Of course, that is probably "Tesla time", but I would now expect the first RHD deliveries to start this year.

I suspect that LHD->RHD for Model X is much easier than Model S because the cars share the same platform.
Elon Musk seems like an incredibly intelligent and dynamic guy, and I'm sure all tesla owners plus many future owners have immense respect for what he has done, but history clearly shows that giving accurate times certainly isnt his area of expertise....but hey what else could we all complain about if things happened to an accurate schedule.

Elon Musk seems like an incredibly intelligent and dynamic guy, and I'm sure all tesla owners plus many future owners have immense respect for what he has done, but history clearly shows that giving accurate times certainly isnt his area of expertise....but hey what else could we all complain about if things happened to an accurate schedule.

He tends to over-promise. But this was very clear and worded as a 'thank you to Hong Kong for their success'. I doubt whether I'll get my X July 1st, but would now be surprised if it wasn't sometime in 2016.

Last I checked tesla has launched here with a couple of service centres. It'd be nice if they did a few more. But that means a lot of the logistical aspects of delivering and supporting X is already solved. I think we'll see RHD available when it is available globally.

Oh, they sell accessories here too. (Though I wish they'd get with modern times and support internet shopping).