Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any pics of the blue model x nose.

Here:

hero-image-par.img.xs.20150930T1707252090400.jpg

Looks great and very sharp.

Last edited:
You know, I could take the X or leave it. I don't love it, I don't hate it. I really don't like the nose in white, but with the other colours it's not bad at all.

As for the Prius, ye gods that is horrifyingly ugly. The stuff of nightmares.

I guess the real question here is, "If you open the frunk and press on the two plates, does the entire bumper fall off to access the jumper terminals". I'll wait till I see one in person to comment on the aesthetics because pictures almost never look exactly like real life.

I like the front of the car. The new nose is beautiful. I don't like the side back view of the car but even the side back view is okay with 22" wheels. Also, to add 7 seats and maintain low drag the back had to taper hence the design. The beautiful front really makes the car beautiful to me. (My opinion)

The funny thing about people who say they dislike the white and like the black is that they're basically saying, "I like the color that hides the design lines."
I also like the black. It gives it a really crazy heavy look. Its hard to explain in words. On normal black cars the awesomeness is disrupted by grills etc but on X its all seamless black. Just like a cellphone with screen off state looks seamless slab of black.

The funny thing about people who say they dislike the white and like the black is that they're basically saying, "I like the color that hides the design lines."

I dunno. Maybe at night, or in poor lighting. But not in the sun.

In fact, after owning a black Model S for two years, and a red one now for close to a year I'd say the black showed the lines of the Model S better.

There's something about the way highly polished, glossy black can catch light and make high contrast highlights come alive on the lines.

For example, no hiding of design lines here:
tesla-model-s-628.jpg

Or here (my own photo, no retouching):
DSCF3019.jpg

Last edited:
I guess the reflections are part of the way the lines are camoflaged. You see more of the sky and surroundings than the car.

BMW i3 not looking completely ugly in black:

NIssan Leaf not looking completely ugly in black:
There is not enough black paint in the world to save these two (or the Prius)

- - - Updated - - -

Here:

hero-image-par.img.xs.20150930T1707252090400.jpg

Looks great and very sharp.
I absolutely LOVE that shot. Wishing Tesla made it available in a decent resolution so I could set it as wallpaper.

I think the biggest problem with the front end is the way it slopes to a point. I LIKE that they finally removed the black nosecone, it really looks futuristic without it. But the sloping point front end makes it look more like an economy car or minivan. I wish they could have made it look more like an SUV in the way a BMW X6 or Jaguar F-Pace looks. Those designs are both better looking than the Model X IMHO. The other problem with the design is it uses far too much black plastic on the rocker panels and fender trim for such an expensive machine. Jeez, they could not give it body colored matching fender trim for $140k? Overall it is pretty remarkable and I am sure they will be making subtle changes to the design as time goes by.

Last edited:
In my eyes, most SUV's are just "meh" in terms of looks. If I weren't buying the Model X, I would get the Porsche Cayenne, and I think that thing is ugly (I say this as a Porsche owner). But throw in Falcon Wing Doors, and that (for me) automatically catapults the Model X into the sexy category.

Bottom Line: I am not expecting sex appeal out of any SUV; But the falcon wings make the Model X the sexiest SUV on the planet.

- Bobby (Production #1071 Reservation holder)

At first, seeing the front of Model X in white bothered me. Now it doesn't. That is a good thing. It took me a year to adjust to the point when the Nissan Leaf was acceptable. The darker colors of Model X looked great immediately. Seeing a vehicle in motion helps as well. The Verge video features wonderful views while showcasing Model X: https://youtu.be/KbO6-C2Yajg

While I was not fond of the nosecone of Model S at first, I did not let that stop me from buying the vehicle. The 2004 Cadillac XLR was my favorite, the car was transferred to my niece and she had it detailed like new, so it is in good hands. That helps when letting go of wonderful cars that become our companions as we travel the country and attempt to stay safe with city drives. It also helped to purchase the same color and interior, and Tesla Motors offered that in 2012 with Signature Red and White Leather Seats. This time the Escalade gets the replacement, so Signature Red, Tan Leather Seats and Figured Ash Wood Décor with the Six Seat Interior will mirror that vehicle nicely.

Driving a superior performing electric vehicle with safety and style, that is why Tesla Motors has now become my favorite vehicle.

The car in my opinion is stunning. Modern, futuristic, clean and beautiful.

To me, something like an X5 or XC90 is something a group of middle aged men in a boardroom would of designed when conjuring up their next SUV - they still have very much a 90s vibe - boring and predictable and do not push the envelope.

what I love about the Tesla is that it looks like something a movie set designer would of created or even a child when tasked to draw a modern futuristic SUV.

I love it.

bmw-x5-25d-2014-(3).jpg

1027768498.jpg

Last edited: