Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

MrBoylan

Aug 2, 2013
New York, NY
if you were given the X and S to pick from? which one would you pick?
Already made that choice when I put a deposit on an X in 2013 instead of buying an S. We're a one car family and the S didn't quite have what we needed in terms of passenger room.

In hindsight, had I known about the excessive delays, I might have gone for an S with rear-facing jump seats and happily driven that around until the point in the hopefully-not-too-distant future when we take delivery of our X.

-CB

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
Definitely X. I had put a deposit down on a S about 5 years ago and when the X was announced, I switched it to the X. Need a hitch and the ability to move sporting equipment around (and HomeDepot runs). At the time, I thought the X would be better suited to our lifestyle. I'm sure it will be once the redesigned 2nd row folding seats are announced. ;-)

PeteP

Oct 8, 2015
Los Angeles
X reminds me of a stormtropper.
View attachment 109972

From the rear, the X reminds me of a BMW GT.
View attachment 109974
I'm not compelled by the looks of the vehicle. The FWD, IMO, has limited functional benefits for my family's needs as a regular family mover.

S reminds me of a DB9 and offers the cargo space I need for the time-being. Looking forward to the 3 reveal!

I agree completely! BMW had high hopes for the GT, but it's proven to be wildly unpopular in the U.S. They sell a lot in China though. I am seriously concerned that once the initial launch euphoria wears off, the enthusiasm for the MX design will fade and sales will slow. I really think that they missed the mark here. That said, I think that a few minor design tweaks could significantly improve the design.

ankitmishra

Sep 1, 2015
India
Nope. In my opinion this car is going to sell like crazy. It has enough innovation that it can go on for at least few years without any major demand lever.

May 27, 2015
Parker, CO
Ugly has nothing to do with sales sometimes, the Pontiac Aztek sold in excess of 120,000 units. Note, I don't think the Model X is ugly, I just don't like the nose. The rest of the car is out-of-this-world beautiful to my eyes.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles CA
I have gotten used to it on the Model S, but I was never a fan of the gaping mouth grille look on Model X. I am extremely happy with the redux, which I believe is absolutely appropriate for an electric car. The change makes the Model X stunningly beautiful to me, and it is the only SUV/CUV in the class that is attractive, IMHO. The others all try too hard to be an homage to an impression of a tribute to Land Rover or Jeep vehicles that were 'new' designs when my Mom was in elementary school in the early-to-mid 1950s.

I also like the Renault Zoe:
2012-renault-zoe-electric-hatchback-photo-446877-s-520x318.jpg

2012-renault-zoe-electric-hatchback-photo-446895-s-520x318.jpg

2012-renault-zoe-electric-hatchback-photo-446883-s-520x318.jpg

omgwtfbyobbq

Aug 24, 2013
Southern California
I agree completely! BMW had high hopes for the GT, but it's proven to be wildly unpopular in the U.S. They sell a lot in China though. I am seriously concerned that once the initial launch euphoria wears off, the enthusiasm for the MX design will fade and sales will slow. I really think that they missed the mark here. That said, I think that a few minor design tweaks could significantly improve the design.
I think it'll do fairly well because of the TCO. It's pricey up front, but in the long run, I'd much rather spend ~$90k over ~200k miles on an X than on a loaded Odyssey or similar.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC