Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny stuff. The Pontiac Aztek was considered one of the ugliest objects ever released from a modern factory. They were banned from driving near dairies since one look could make a cow give sour milk for a month.

However, it's one of the parents of a whole generation of the most popular segments today, the Cross-over, CUV segment.

Ironically, it was one of the best engineered cars of the time. HUD, rolling cargo bay, AWD, 4x8' plywood fits easy, Integrated Camper option, very high Owner Satisfaction, etc.

Ugly can kill a car. But it can also start a trend as well.

In photos it seems the angle is very important. The smaller wheels don't pop for me. Kind of amazing to have 22's on a production vehicle. That's huge! I think the back (in photos) can look quite "squatty" (especially with the smaller wheels). In person, I have no complaints. One of the main things I think that is overlooked, is that the rear looks TOTALLY different and much sportier and exciting with the spoiler up. I think I will leave mine up all the time. I prefer it.

FWIW, WAY before the Model X concept was released, I disliked the styling of the BMW X6. To me, it was a BMW styling fail and I'm puzzled as to who would buy one.

And, as has been discussed many times, the Model X does resemble an X, so unfortunately, the Model X doesn't really look any better.

Oddly enough, I've talked to some folks about the X6 design and a few actually like it. (shrug)

I would like to add that X looks extremely beautiful when viewed from less distance. From a little far, the plain face looks a little odd. But still I would say its extremely beautiful.
For S, it looks beautiful from a distance but when I see pics of it from a less distance it looks odd. It's shape seems a little odd. Still a beautiful car. (My humble opinion)

Funny stuff. The Pontiac Aztek was considered one of the ugliest objects ever released from a modern factory. They were banned from driving near dairies since one look could make a cow give sour milk for a month.

However, it's one of the parents of a whole generation of the most popular segments today, the Cross-over, CUV segment.

Ironically, it was one of the best engineered cars of the time. HUD, rolling cargo bay, AWD, 4x8' plywood fits easy, Integrated Camper option, very high Owner Satisfaction, etc.

Ugly can kill a car. But it can also start a trend as well.

You made me search the internet for what it looks like. Never searching for anything someone writes on this forum again.

As with many vehicles, the X definitely looks better from certain angles. 3/4 rear view is the best IMO. The 20" wheels don't look as good but I do like them in black (at least the photoshopped versions Mr. Boylan did for us) as they disappear a bit.

X reminds me of a stormtropper.
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 1.39.30 PM.png

From the rear, the X reminds me of a BMW GT.
Screen Shot 2016-02-01 at 1.39.24 PM.png

I'm not compelled by the looks of the vehicle. The FWD, IMO, has limited functional benefits for my family's needs as a regular family mover.

S reminds me of a DB9 and offers the cargo space I need for the time-being. Looking forward to the 3 reveal!

Funny stuff. The Pontiac Aztek was considered one of the ugliest objects ever released from a modern factory.
But it was good enough for Heisenberg. BTW, this was my Halloween outfit in 2014. I wonder how much meth I can cook up in the back of an "X?"

breaking-boylan.jpg

BTW, to get back on topic, my friend thinks the X looks like a big Ford Focus... My ex-friend. :)

Last edited: