Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X didn't warn when my wife was backing up the car and hit a parked car

Tesla should pay my deductible for the accident due to the software glitch they have

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your wife hit something when trying to park. It happens. Not much of a story except you seem to believe it's the cars fault.

It's a car not much it can do when the driver is telling it to keep going. There have been quite a few people who have accelerated through walls that have shown that very sane thing.

Reactions: Pdub2015
To my knowledge, there is only one situation where the car automatically stops while backing. That is while in Summon mode and the car gets within the pre-selected auto-stop range of 24", 16" or 8". I have found the sensors in that case to be sensitive enough to recognize a chain link fence (about 95% air) and stop.

...and be careful when backing up to a non-Tesla charger, some of them have posts to stop you which are the same color as the charger! The aluminum dents quickly even at barely moving speed and if you crease the rear hatch it will probably have to be replaced. The repair is not cheap either!

Shouldn't the car be able to detect object and provide brake assistance? Volvo and Mercedes have it. I haven't received my car yet so I don't know the limitation.

It doesn't sound like she was braking, she was backing up which implies her foot was on the accelerator. Cars don't override driver instructions, not yet anyway. The most worrisome part of this story is that it sounds like the OP's wife regularly backs up with a 6k pound potential battering ram without vision of what is behind her car.

Our Infiniti has Backup Collision Intervention. It works very well, and likely would have prevented this accident. It also "looks" to the sides to prevent backing into moving traffic in parking lots when it can be difficult to see cars driving too fast down the aisle.

It will beep and then actually stop the car with the brake if you continue. At that point, you can choose to continue to backup very slowly and it won't stop you again. So if your mission is to hit the object behind you, you can, you just get that initial warning/brake first. Works very well.

Tesla could implement BCI with just software. The car has all the same sensor hardware the Infiniti does.

I'm surprised they haven't already done so.

Our Infiniti has Backup Collision Intervention. It works very well, and likely would have prevented this accident. It also "looks" to the sides to prevent backing into moving traffic in parking lots when it can be difficult to see cars driving too fast down the aisle.

It will beep and then actually stop the car with the brake if you continue. At that point, you can choose to continue to backup very slowly and it won't stop you again. So if your mission is to hit the object behind you, you can, you just get that initial warning/brake first. Works very well.

Tesla could implement BCI with just software. The car has all the same sensor hardware the Infiniti does.

I'm surprised they haven't already done so.
So, if you have parallelled-parked your Infiniti on a San Francisco street and notice that the baby grand piano being lifted into an apartment above you suddenly starts to sway uncontrollably, by the time you try to reverse/ram the car behind you, the piano has fallen and taken you out.:eek::oops:;)

Operator Error!

Your Wife backed into the parked car. She should have looked where she was going. Its that simple. Technology aside - Were the Mirrors NOT working? If you aren't seeing whats behind the car, then you shouldn't be backing up... If you don't want to assume that responsibility, maybe Uber or Lyft would be a better form of "automation"....

(Not that I've never backed into another vehicle... Just don't blame it on the car...)

So, if you have parallelled-parked your Infiniti on a San Francisco street and notice that the baby grand piano being lifted into an apartment above you suddenly starts to sway uncontrollably, by the time you try to reverse/ram the car behind you, the piano has fallen and taken you out.:eek::oops:;)

haha. but seriously, if you're aggressively using the accelerator, or the object behind you was already there before you started moving, it will warn you but allow you to win the tug-o-war. If you're just backing mildly like in most situations, it will save your butt if you didn't see a car coming/kid behind you/car parked behind you in the dark.

Like I said, their system works well. They're not dummies. Tesla should copy these features!

Reactions: vandacca
Tesla doesn't have auto-braking going in reverse. The backup camera always pops up when you go into reverse, however if you click on the controls it will go away--I think they should fix that so the backup camera is always on top while in reverse. Either way, you can still stop, turn on the backup camera yourself, and then keep going.

Is it possible the car was rolling back and not actually in Reverse? I have backed up or rolled back at red lights not really paying attention behind me. I'm so used tin the brake hold being on and also not hearing an engine rev that I occasionally carelessly rolled back a bit and coming uncomfortably close to cars behind me.

How did the car roll back? The break (w "H" sign on) seems quite sensitive. I am used to my manual shift, so I thought not rolling back has been a great feature for me.