Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model - X Dimension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I ordered my first ever Model X a few weeks ago and have been waiting to get a delivery date. While I have been waiting I read a few reviews on the internet regarding the width of the Model X.

Consider living in East London and travelling into central often are there any major issues faced due to the width of the car while driving on London roads including parking?

Secondly, I read above panel gaps, water leaks from the flacon wing doors and issues with 7 days return policy and delivery day processes etc. I am just wondering is it really worth getting a TESLA especially a Model X if there are so many issues?

Your advice in light of your experience will be highly appreciated, as I still have time to change my order to a model 3 instead.

Thanks
J

Hi there,

To start off, there seem to be uncertainty of the real width of the car. Most sites will claim 1999 mm without mirrors, but a few are claiming 2070 (eg. automobiledimension.com). I suspect the former is correct, and the car should be comparable to a BMW X5 in width. I can't comment on whether or not that is too big for your particular needs in London.

I too read about the issues that you mention, but I ordered one anyway. Still waiting for a delivery date. Panel gaps are largely fixable post-delivery, and I expect that the water leaking into the car issue to be fixed already. I don't expect the car to be perfect, but that the functionality of it far outweighs the annoyances. Switching to a M3 most likely won't increase your chances of a "perfect" car. It is still made by Tesla, and has well documented issues on its own.

When that is said, I think it boils down to if you need the space and specific features of the MX. Our needs are an electric SUV-sized car, and for example the FWD make entry with a child seat easy, thus making the X the "best" choice for us. If a M3 suits your needs, I don't see any reason not to choose that instead. Especially since you are concerned about the width of the MX in your daily living.

Also keep in mind that people faster complain on a forum instead of inform the people that everything was 100% correct. So the majority you read are negative things....
Waiting for my third Tesla, moving from S to X.
With the two S I had replacement back light and motor right mirror. Replaced by Tesla without any problems.