Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Dimensions....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I've been reading for a while but I finally registered and this is my first post. I'm MegaZone (my actual name) in Worcester, MA.

Thank you very much for these. I got my invite to design my X a couple of days ago but I've been hesitant as I've never ordered a vehicle without sitting in it. I'm 6'6" tall and big (400# - I look like I played football, but I didn't) so driver's position is key. The reason I didn't buy a Model S was that it was just a bit too tight getting in and out - banging my head on the door frame was an issue. Once I was in I could deal with it, but folding myself in and out would've gotten old quickly. So I decided to wait for the X as I figured the higher stance and roofline would resolve that. I was hoping to see a Model X in person before finalizing my order, but none of the Tesla storefronts or SCs in Massachusetts have received an X so far (I called and asked). These figures give me more confidence in placing my order.

I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona currently, which I picked up new in 2005. It is a nice toy - but the Model X is even more sprightly, even the 90D. I'm thinking of going with a 90D 'Darth Vader' - Obsidian Black Metallic paint, black leather seats, black headliner, and carbon fiber trim - five seats, all the options, tow package, and 72A charger. I like the 22" Onyx wheels, but I fear Worcester, MA roads would eat them right up. So I'll probably get the standard silver wheels and maybe pick up some black 20" wheels aftermarket.

I'm in the same boat as megazone. I'm not as tall as him but just as big. I can get in and out of my 2013 Ford Explorer comfortably (and our 2011 GMC Yukon of course) and I was concerned about the hip space. I knew the leg, shoulder and headroom would be ok. From a manual I found it looks like the hip room is 55 inches which is on par with my Mom's Camry which I can drive once I fold myself under the low roof. I think I'll be able to sit in a Model X in a few weeks so I can report back for megazone. If I can fit in it I'm sure he can.

I think it would be interesting to compare the height of the seats in the second row between the X and the S. Does anyone have these measurements or maybe someone would like to measure?
Height of seat 2nd row.jpg

Anyone out there who has installed rear-facing child seats in an X, yet? I’d be interested to understand how far the 2nd-row outboard seats are able to move forward (for purposes of 3rd-row entry) when occupied by one of those huge rear-facing conversion car seats. The specific one my 20-month old rides in is the Britax Advocate Clicktight (https://us.britax.com/car-seats/advocate-clicktight/), but I guess the question applies to any car seat model following a generally similar form factor. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if 3rd-row access is still possible with two child seats installed in the 2nd row.

BTW, I assume this post is pertinent to this thread about Model X dimensions, but if anyone has a suggestion for a better thread to use, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Thanks everyone!

(Inaugural post from a long-time TMC observer with an obsession for Tesla and an out-of-this-world excitement for Model X)

I have twins that are 13 months old and just moved up to the bigger rear facing car seat that stays in the car. I am curious about this too and any feedback will be appreciated before I get my X in a couple months (maybe less). I have the 6 seater, so I'm hoping that the two rear facing car seats in the 2nd row would not obstruct someone from getting into the 3rd row. Maybe if the 2nd row is all the way back, someone can go around one of the car seats and enter the 3rd row through the middle opening and then move the 2nd row forward to allow reasonable leg room for people in the back.

With all the emphasis that Elon has placed on this being a car designed for families with children, I am hopeful this scenario has been solved for somehow. But in fairness, and following the same thought process I’ve seen applied to many other questions people have posted here about the X, I recognize that the scenario is just as problematic on any other SUV/CUV with a 3rd row of seats.

My order (which auto-confirms tonight, woohoo!) is for a 6-seater as well, and I think your proposed “work-around” (see what I did there? :wink:) makes a lot of sense.

Maybe if the 2nd row is all the way back, someone can go around one of the car seats and enter the 3rd row through the middle opening and then move the 2nd row forward to allow reasonable leg room for people in the back.

Cobra, I can't find the post but I do remember someone on this forum with a 6-seater saying that they haven't been moving the 2nd row to access the 3rd. I don't know if adults or children were climbing back there, and can't recall if there were rear facing child seats involved (probably not), but it does imply that there's some space. Getting around those rear facing seats could be a challenge, though. Front seat all the way forward, 2nd row all the way back.. I'm guessing you could make it work.

Just started reading the owner's manual, amazing what you find out when you actually look at it! it mentions the "easy access button" on the second row seats. If there is no one occupied in the front seat of the side you want to get access to the third row, both the front seat and the 2nd row seat move forward at the same time to allow access to the 3rd row. I imagine that should create enough room to get through to the back when a bigger rear facing car seat is in the 2nd row seat, without having to shimmy through the middle between the 2nd row seats in the 6 seater.

Interesting. My first reaction was that for this to work well, the front seat would have to move all the way forward first, then the 2nd-row seat move forward until resistance was sensed (from the back of the rear-facing car seat hitting the back of the front seat). But I guess they can certainly move together, as long as the speed is the same or the front seat is a bit faster. If the second row happened to be a little faster instead, it could catch up to the front seat prematurely and stop before the maximum possible amount of 3rd-row access space is created. All speculation, of course. There's a few different ways this could be engineered. I look forward to actually trying it out.

Yes..the front seat moves forward when you use the button on the back of the middle row seat...and the access space to the 3rd row is very large. I didn't realize the front would only move forward if it didn't sense someone sitting there....I need more time to read thru the entire manual...It does have alot of great information....

Despite so many great posts on dimensions, I have never seen the following with respect to the 3 Teslas (S, X, 3):
1. Height from ground to the driver's seat;
2. Height from ground to top of driver's side door frame.
Like many previous posters, I am concerned about access/exit. I'm a full-size guy and I'm worried about the 3 being too low. I gave up my Miata because I could no longer sit before getting in.