Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X does get cheaper over time but there is a caveat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I did a comparison between the Model X 90D I bought on 2016 and a similar version I can configure on 2019. Even with the phase out of federal tax credit and some inflation of option like 6 seat got bumped from $3000 to $6500. The total prices does get cheaper by $5000, this seems to be a better deal especially I was only getting a 90D with about 250 miles range while the current long range can go up about 328 mi.

But there is a caveat! I didn't include the so-called "Full Self-Driving Capability", which costs another $7000. If we don't factor in the promised feature like "Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs", it does pretty much the same as AP2 auto-pilot can do, like "Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon". With $7000 added, the latest version is $1525 more expensive.

Personally I don't feel that bad and I will probably swap my current one once it hits 4 years mark but no sure what others think.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
For me the new cars are basically a downgrade from an aesthetic perspective. I like my interior a lot better. Except the better range (which I only need a few times a year and really only on one leg of a long trip) I am OK with my 90D range.

I rarely use (ie never) the lane keeping feature. I think it is terrible and takes more effort than what I can do and I have to fully pay attention anyway so no net gain. Summons is not of use. Games neither. I park my car in places that SHOULD NOT get damaged but if it did, it's still going to be damaged, so Sentry does nothing for me.

And I have my car pretty well tuned and tweaked and it has no squeaks or rattles. Most new cars seem to still rattle. My fit and finish is as good as or better than every new MX I have seen. I never use the browser so it not working is NBD to me. And I would lose my active spoiler.:)

The other positive feature would be additional blind spot monitoring but I am not sold yet that Tesla has this figured out on even the newest cars.

So I am just going to continue with my early 2016 MX and pound through another 4-5 years and see what happens. At that point I may be looking at a battery upgrade if offered or will consider what the market has to offer. The next 5 years should be pretty dynamic.