Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X doesn't alert to incoming text messages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A cursory search of threads didn't find anything about this so I thought I'd ask.

When my iphone is connected to the MX via bluetooth, alerts for incoming text messages are muted. I'm used to receiving an audible alert over car speakers when connected, but don't get that with the MX and don't find any options in setup either on the phone or in the car to enable it.

Anyone know of a way to receive alerts in the MX when an incoming text message is received? As it is now, I have to physically check the phone periodically for messages.

Thanks.

This is how it works in all cars with bluetooth connectivity, at least from my experience. If your phone is connected to the cars bluetooth and you're NOT using the audio source from the phone, you will not hear any alerts as (iPhone in my case) the phone try to play the alerts through the bluetooth like you're wearing a headset. My apple watch will ding me for text messages but any emails or anything else I get I don't notice until I stop and get out of the car. No known way to work around this short of not connecting your phone via bluetooth but then you can't use the car to make/receive calls so it's a lose/lose situation...

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
OK thanks, so if I use the phone as a music source via bluetooth then alerts will come over. Hadn't thought of that angle. I've not been listening to phone music since I got the MX.

Also, I gave my apple watch to my girlfriend just before I got the X. Think I'll replace it just for this purpose.

Urg...I used to remember how to do this on the iPhone...there was a way that you could connect via Bluetooth, have phone audio go to/from the car, but have sound effects (i.e. for messages) go out the iPhone's built-in speaker. I think after you connect on Bluetooth, you override the music/sound-effect audio to go out the iPhone's built-in speaker (or other device...just not the Tesla's Bluetooth).

Bruce.

Urg...I used to remember how to do this on the iPhone...there was a way that you could connect via Bluetooth, have phone audio go to/from the car, but have sound effects (i.e. for messages) go out the iPhone's built-in speaker. I think after you connect on Bluetooth, you override the music/sound-effect audio to go out the iPhone's built-in speaker (or other device...just not the Tesla's Bluetooth).

Bruce.

The only way I’ve been able to get that to work is by manually changing the destination of iPhone sound in Control Center on the iPhone. In proximity to the car, the car captures the entire phone requiring you manually change it back on the phone. Needless to say quite inconvenient. Best thing to do is to run out and get an Apple Watch. You want one anyway, I know, right? ;) Besides, yer not supposed to be messing with the phone while driving anyway! Heheh

I'm going to go with the car is trying to save your life.

Distracted Driving | Motor Vehicle Safety | CDC Injury Center

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 4.57.20 PM.png

This is how it works in all cars with bluetooth connectivity, at least from my experience. If your phone is connected to the cars bluetooth and you're NOT using the audio source from the phone, you will not hear any alerts as (iPhone in my case) the phone try to play the alerts through the bluetooth like you're wearing a headset. My apple watch will ding me for text messages but any emails or anything else I get I don't notice until I stop and get out of the car. No known way to work around this short of not connecting your phone via bluetooth but then you can't use the car to make/receive calls so it's a lose/lose situation...

Jeff

Well not really. You would be hard pressed to find a 2018/2019 car that does not support Siri hands free and/or basic level messaging integration with an iPhone via Bluetooth. Tesla does not support Siri hands free or messaging at all. My 2015 Toyota supports text message notification.

Tesla is years behind everyone on this. It’s baffling to me how this isn’t more of an issue for Tesla owners.

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01 and pcons
Well not really. You would be hard pressed to find a 2018/2019 car that does not support Siri hands free and/or basic level messaging integration with an iPhone via Bluetooth. Tesla does not support Siri hands free or messaging at all. My 2015 Toyota supports text message notification.

Tesla is years behind everyone on this. It’s baffling to me how this isn’t more of an issue for Tesla owners.
+1 to this....and yes, I know all the defenders will say it makes Tesla's safer....but the fact if the matter is that it's MUCH safer to just incorporate voice readback/commands for text messages. It's called android auto/apple car play. Pretty much every new car uses it, and it's MUCH safer than having no notifications and periodically looking at your phone or Apple watch.

Both of my Volts had this functionality and it's really missing from the tesla software.

Heck, you can use the friggin' web browser while driving, but people say tesla does this on purpose to make the car 'safer'? Give me a break :rolleyes:

Yes, but Tesla has its own voice assistant built in. So theoretically, the need for Siri is reduced. It’s effectiveness is arguable, but I suspect that is why voice assistance and alerts from the phone are suppressed. The phone works fine which is good enough for me.

My 2015 Chevy would read me text messages and locked you out of GPS address entry in motion.
That is genuine safety features, though I think the GPS lock should have been turned off when passenger seat is occupied. Car gave you some canned responses for while in motion or I believe allowed dictation, only gave a keyboard when stopped.

The argument Tesla doesn't handle text at all is a "safety feature" is sycophants lying to themselves and everyone else.

Reactions: pcons
A cursory search of threads didn't find anything about this so I thought I'd ask.

When my iphone is connected to the MX via bluetooth, alerts for incoming text messages are muted. I'm used to receiving an audible alert over car speakers when connected, but don't get that with the MX and don't find any options in setup either on the phone or in the car to enable it.

Anyone know of a way to receive alerts in the MX when an incoming text message is received? As it is now, I have to physically check the phone periodically for messages.

Thanks.
Why the hell when driving would you want to read text messages???

I agree you should not READ a text while driving, but having it read TO YOU is a much safer option. Elon claimed many years ago ~2013-2014 that Tesla would develop its own system better than CarPlay, even an app store...:eek: That said, many can argue if CarPlay is good or bad, but it gives the user a safe, interactive system to access music, and phone functions WITHOUT reaching for or touching your phone and looking down...It is a crime that my awesome huge 17" monitor does nothing for music, satellite, text, etc... I won't even get started on HUD, blind spot, 3d top view cameras...lol

Reactions: The Enterprise