Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door handle issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem identified (for real this time, parts on order)

Ok...I was still having the same issues even after the window regulator replacement. So, one has nothing to do with the other. To repeat the issue I am seeing: When I initiate door open from any of the door open initiations (door handle, MCU, FOB) the door starts to open with a door latch cycle, the door stops at the ajar position with latch still in the latched position, then the ice breaker pushes the door along with another latch cycle finally opening the door.

I continued my troubleshooting this weekend. I removed the latch thinking it must be the issue even though I replaced it with a used one. I opened it up as detailed in my pics. There was a broken piece inside the latch case. It was a teflon part that was broken. This piece must be the culprit. As I stated before, I replaced the latch earlier, but with a used one off ebay. It also was presenting the same issue but less frequently (works about 25% of the time). My observation is that the teflon piece in with all the metal gears gets worn out over time or breaks. Worn out probably is the intermittent working scenario. Broke is the never works scenario which the two latches I used presented. In either case they presented the identical fault hence my conclusion it must be the latch. So, with that being said, I am ordering a new latch directly from Tesla assuming the teflon piece would be brand new and in working condition. It is obvious this piece is meant to be the first point of failure in the latch case.

I will give another update when I replace with a new latch (not a used).
View attachment 628611
View attachment 628612
This is a long shot considering how old this thread is, but here goes...

I have the same issue and am trying to buy the same part. I saw one on eBay with the same part number, but the connector only has 3 pins, whereas yours has 4. Any ideas why that is, and if the 3 pin part will still work?
Pic:
Screenshot_20230504_133905_eBay.jpg

This is a long shot considering how old this thread is, but here goes...

I have the same issue and am trying to buy the same part. I saw one on eBay with the same part number, but the connector only has 3 pins, whereas yours has 4. Any ideas why that is, and if the 3 pin part will still work?
Pic:
View attachment 934580
It has been a while since I did this work. You probably read that I ended up going with the retrofit on both doors. I gave up on the original parts because I received a few off ebay that were bad as well. Only used available and are prone to fail. I searched extensively and was not able to find any new. I thought the retrofit on both doors was reasonably priced based on how much work is necessary to switch from the 2 mechanism system to a 5 mechanism system. The result was a much more reliable and quiet experience. Sorry, but I do not have my old latches to compare anymore. I do remember there were different versions of the same latch. I paid $750 for both doors. I found the retrofit kit on ebay for $1500 just for the parts.

Reactions: xanatos
It has been a while since I did this work. You probably read that I ended up going with the retrofit on both doors. I gave up on the original parts because I received a few off ebay that were bad as well. Only used available and are prone to fail. I searched extensively and was not able to find any new. I thought the retrofit on both doors was reasonably priced based on how much work is necessary to switch from the 2 mechanism system to a 5 mechanism system. The result was a much more reliable and quiet experience. Sorry, but I do not have my old latches to compare anymore. I do remember there were different versions of the same latch. I paid $750 for both doors. I found the retrofit kit on ebay for $1500 just for the parts.

Any chance you can post your invoice? They are trying to charge me $1200+ for the same upgrade, for the same problem.

It's a TSB and they are only supposed to charge 2.6 hours, but for reasons I don't understand they just added ANOTHER $100 charge to it, for:

MX, FR DR KIEKERTLATCH SERVICE, LEFTHAND(1126199-00-B)

with no explanation to me (yet) about what this is that wasn't somehow in the TSB service kit for $310.