Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Doors / Door Handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On your MS. Set up a profile named 'Parked'... and in that profile set auto present MS door handles to off. Select 'Parked' when you get home to end repetitive auto presenting door handles when you walk by it in your garage. BTW you can also have the steering wheel move out of your way..seat move back to your liking etc. for egress and ingress.

gjunky, you and I are a single digit apart in the reservation queue. I am feeling like your statement quoted above currently applies to a lot of the MX. I'll be interested to see if there are any changes by the time they ask us to configure, which I'm assuming will be in the February/March timeframe.

Good to hear we are "twins" :)

I had the same Feb timeframe in mind. I don't expect any change in the car in our number range.

Last edited:
The auto doors are as fast or faster than even manual doors. Def faster than model s

1) U approach and they start to open u or u hit the handle and the start to open

2) grab door and open it faster than the motor

3) get in

4) grab door and close it faster than the motor

total non issue

The auto doors are as fast or faster than even manual doors. Def faster than model s

1) U approach and they start to open u or u hit the handle and the start to open

2) grab door and open it faster than the motor

3) get in

4) grab door and close it faster than the motor

total non issue

Agreed. And if you need to do something else in the car, such as fasten your seat belt, plug in your phone, talk to someone in the passenger seat, put something in the cubby etc. then you do that and let the door auto close. Even if it doesn't close very quickly it's still faster than just sitting open while you're doing something else. All in all likely a win-win solution.

The only caveat would be if the door motor doesn't like you manually speeding up opening/closing but I suppose Tesla has thought of this.

if the X no longer has functional door handles, and even more so if there is still no EXTERIOR mechanical release, I fear more situations like this will happen which is a design defect:

Door crushed on my 3yo daughter's hand, door handle failure to release lock, STUCK

Ugh just saw that post, terrible thing to happen to your daughter. Good design is a lot about avoiding failure modes, allowing active user control, and avoiding redundancies...
Mechanical releases reduce failure modes, and allow for active control, as you experienced ...

while I'm in a wait and see mode, I have to admit my sentiment is increasingly skeptical that the execution of these features can transcend the shiny object category; and can account for the 1% critical use cases where a seemingly innocent design choice for the happy 99% can change a life for the worse, drastically damage the car or others, etc.

however the optimist voice in me still says "but what if they got it all right this time!"

There's still no solid answer here about the front doors.

Can someone who was there confirm?

It appears to me there are no traditional handles on either side, and they are just touch sensitive, and you have to wait for the motors to start opening the door. Then once the door is starting to open, you can manually grab it and open and/or close it. The auto-present goes a step further opening the doors to 45 degrees when they detect someone wanting in; presumably this can be overridden by grabbing the door and opening/closing it as well. Presumably both the driver and passenger side doors both do this? There is an option in the UI to turn the auto-present on and off (for both doors? or each door individually? not a valid question if auto-present is only on driver side)

Look at this video posted by someone who was at the X launch 2016 Tesla Model X: Opening White Falcon Wings at Night - YouTube

It clearly shows a Tesla employee touch the Falcon Wing and front passenger door handles and the doors open but the handles do not extend like the S handles do. The employee says "You just touch them".
So while the shape of the flush handle looks like the S handle it does not extend. You touch it and the doors open. Since the front doors are powered, this appears to work fine.
If you are close to another car or some object and you don't want the front door to open too far I'm sure you can easily stop it with your hand. Elon did not mention any sensors for the front doors, but who knows maybe they have sensors like the Falcon Wings.