Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Drive System Completely Dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does very similar, there is another post where the issue was fixed by redoing firmware, see Park Assist Unavailable

So far i've scheduled mobile service for this issue and will let you know how that goes.
The most annoying thing for me is falcon doors which I now have to press 3-4 times to open and homelink triggering 2 times so i can't really open/close the garage.
Sometimes I noticed homelink delays for 10 seconds or more and I used to push it again. Now I just wait and it eventually works. Let me know how your fix works.

Reactions: impastu
I am going to keep this short because I am so frustrated with Tesla.

First time: They replaced the 12V battery and a memory module - said it's all fixed

Second time: They said it was my front license plate holder (messing up the sensors), they removed it as a courtesy - said it was all fixed

Third time: They said it is a firmware issue and my car is one of the first that has this issue. There was a service bulletin posted recently about random alert and random failures (autopilot, mirrors not tilting, seat belt buckle alert, park assist, screen going black, touchscreen not working, music crackling, etc.) - said there is nothing they can do until a fix is issued. This is not a priority issue for Tesla since only a handful of cars have this problem. They said that it could take a year or more before a fix. They said for now, anytime this happens to exit the Model X and then get back in to clear the alerts or reset. So, I am supposed just stop off on the side of the road when something stops working. They also said for me to ignore the alerts - I said that these alerts cause me a lot of anxiety and how do I know what alert is actual versus not - this is a safety issue.

In their (I spoke to two people at Tesla) cocky and arrogant attitude, they were both surprised that I was not happy with their recommended fix, which is to just deal with it and get out of the Model X when these issues arise and get right back in or reset.

Why are other 2020 Model X not impacted with similar issues if it's the firmware - wouldn't an MCU replacement fix this? Neither person I spoke to would answer that question and kept repeating that my Model X has a firmware issue.

Already contacted my family attorney to pursue this through the Virginia Lemon Law.

Lastly, I really thought I was doing the right thing by trading in my Audi S8 Plus for the Tesla Model X. I could not have been more wrong. I will wait for the Audi RS E-Tron GT - at least I know I will have a vehicle where, as with my last two S8, customer satisfaction is paramount.
We have also been having issues with our X where the screen is shutting off while driving and random park assist unavailable messages popping up. So far we have also not had any resolution.

Tesla moved my appointment to the next week, meanwhile i got notification about the software update. Has anyone tried going 2021.12.25 and has it resolved the issue? If not i'm going to hold off update until the issue is resolved.
I’m at 2021.12.25.7 and it has not fixed anything. I had mobile service to install a weather strip that my previous invoice said was replaced but it wasn’t. He saw some of the issues first hand while he was there and was very curious and sympathetic to my situation. He promised he would look into it by starting with the techs that have failed to isolate the cause. I was surprised, but I got an unsolicited service appointment today. And he specifically picked a service center that only does repairs and not a dealer as well. He said they are much better at working on issues like this over busy dealerships like Tysons Virginia. It’s for the 24th.

We have a 2019 MX, and two 2020 MXs (Dec 2019 and Sept 2020 deliveries) - all three have exhibited this behaviour. One vehicle had to be towed 100 miles from Breckenridge down to Denver. I spoke with my SA while the vehicle was being towed and he indicated that he'd had a couple of other MXs with the issue and it was due to a corrupt memory module. My vehicle sat for 6 days waiting to be diagnosed. Wednesday evening (5:15) I spoke with the service advisor (again) and told him it was unacceptable to still be waiting and asked who to speak to to escalate. He advised me that the Service Manager would call me that evening or first thing in the morning. I received a call at 9:30 AM on Thursday from the Service Manager advising me the vehicle was ready to be picked up - he offered all kinds of platitudes but basically they were swamped. As the SC doesn't open until 8am, it took them 90 minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue. I don't know for sure they replaced the memory module, but we're still seeing the Park Assist error and the garage door issue.

Some additional background - we rent Tesla's out so no we're not independently wealthy :D, when the vehicle broke down both screens were going black, our guest was a long time Tesla owner and figured to just do soft reboot. When they did, the AC remained on, main screen came back on but was unresponsive, cellular connectivity wasn't there (neither was GPS as we found out when we tried to nav to them and the vehicle), the vehicle was trying to do an update. Our guest did soft resets and a full shutdown (from the menu) and finally the vehicle was stuck with black screens and would not go into drive.

Within a week both of our other MXs exhibited some or all of the same characteristics and both refused to complete the current software download. After several tense moments when we got in to the car and the screen was black and/or wouldn't go into drive. I called our SA on a Friday evening (8 days after getting our stranded MX back) I left a message indicating my concern and asking him to call as soon as he got the message so we could formulate a plan. Eleven days later I still have not received a call - I have solved this to some degree. I was able to get the firmware to update by doing a factory reset after which it seemed to install just fine. We still have issues with Bluetooth and the user settings don't seem to "take" consistently - ie my seat and mirrors keep getting un-set even if it's me driving, leaving the car and then returning.

Final note - if you get both screens black and the everything SEEMS dead, it's not really, it's just stuck. Double Scroll wheels for 6 seconds then release and you'll kick off the boot process again. This has worked every time - although once it took two triggers of the reboot for the screens to come back.

All in all, I love my Tesla, but right now I hate the SC experience. Colorado has had a huge increase in Teslas on the road, so I've tried to be patient, but it pisses me off that if I make an appointment my car won't be diagnosed or worked on that day, and if I have it towed because of what is obviously a Tesla issue and under warranty, there is no special consideration. It's hard enough when it's your personal vehicle, but I lose money every day my cars are in the shop. Part of the reason we only have Teslas in our fleet is because the maintenance downtime is in theory much less than an ICE vehicle, however, one trip to the SC can take my vehicle out of service for longer than an entire year's worth of ICE maintenance.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and cwerdna
I have model x long range 2020 fully loaded. last week the car was acting funky so i did a reboot... both screens went black and did not come up ....after 15 minutes i called tesla and they stated they could not find out what the problem was. a tow truck was called. but after 45 minutes and walking away with my key fob the car turned on. Software problem? who knows

just had half shafts replaced to fix the dreaded shutter,...and now it's being brought back in for service in one week because the front vents close and decrease airflow 30 minutes into driving. they were unable to find the problem several months ago but then it occurred again and i brought it to the service center so they could witness the problem.

so yes, 100k car with all these glitches, plus no FSD, which really pissing me off. Other than that, i do love the car....just too many bugs popping up

R

So, the saga continues. Here is what I just wrote the service advisor now:

I picked up the just before 8:00 PM. As I am driving the MX continuously gave me the following message “GTW_w181, Park Assist unavailable” about every 3 to 5 minutes. This morning I get the following message, again at the same intervals, “APS_w172, Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable.” Lastly (at least for now), their is a loud clank coming from the front trunk and whatever it is, it seems to slide to the left or right when I make turns. I opened the front trunk and noticed that my tow hook accessory is not there, I am presuming that a tech may have inadvertently placed it under the molded carpeting. I have pictures of the error messages if you need them. Since taking delivery of my MX I’ve had to do resets almost weekly if not more, as I have explained to you yesterday. It seems like the UI randomly shows systems as failed or certain function stop working (Sirius radio, touch screen, touch sensitivity, etc.). I really need someone to look into this, I am no longer comfortable driving this car after what happened on the highway this past weekend and symptoms that are still prevalent, continuous, and annoying.

I know that many of you have had great experiences with your Tesla vehicles. I am one of the few that have not and I wonder if it was a wise choice to give up my Audi S8 Plus (2018) for this MX that I really do fear driving long distances. It shouldn't have to be this way and I really want to stay electric.

Here is a picture of the notices:
I have had similar warnings. They were really crazy today and my car went real wonky. The doors wouldn’t open then suddenly the screens wouldn’t work. I tried all the resets, but in the end what worked for me was a factory reset. I have a 2021 MX LR Plus.

We have a 2019 MX, and two 2020 MXs (Dec 2019 and Sept 2020 deliveries) - all three have exhibited this behaviour. One vehicle had to be towed 100 miles from Breckenridge down to Denver. I spoke with my SA while the vehicle was being towed and he indicated that he'd had a couple of other MXs with the issue and it was due to a corrupt memory module. My vehicle sat for 6 days waiting to be diagnosed. Wednesday evening (5:15) I spoke with the service advisor (again) and told him it was unacceptable to still be waiting and asked who to speak to to escalate. He advised me that the Service Manager would call me that evening or first thing in the morning. I received a call at 9:30 AM on Thursday from the Service Manager advising me the vehicle was ready to be picked up - he offered all kinds of platitudes but basically they were swamped. As the SC doesn't open until 8am, it took them 90 minutes to diagnose and resolve the issue. I don't know for sure they replaced the memory module, but we're still seeing the Park Assist error and the garage door issue.

Some additional background - we rent Tesla's out so no we're not independently wealthy :D, when the vehicle broke down both screens were going black, our guest was a long time Tesla owner and figured to just do soft reboot. When they did, the AC remained on, main screen came back on but was unresponsive, cellular connectivity wasn't there (neither was GPS as we found out when we tried to nav to them and the vehicle), the vehicle was trying to do an update. Our guest did soft resets and a full shutdown (from the menu) and finally the vehicle was stuck with black screens and would not go into drive.

Within a week both of our other MXs exhibited some or all of the same characteristics and both refused to complete the current software download. After several tense moments when we got in to the car and the screen was black and/or wouldn't go into drive. I called our SA on a Friday evening (8 days after getting our stranded MX back) I left a message indicating my concern and asking him to call as soon as he got the message so we could formulate a plan. Eleven days later I still have not received a call - I have solved this to some degree. I was able to get the firmware to update by doing a factory reset after which it seemed to install just fine. We still have issues with Bluetooth and the user settings don't seem to "take" consistently - ie my seat and mirrors keep getting un-set even if it's me driving, leaving the car and then returning.

Final note - if you get both screens black and the everything SEEMS dead, it's not really, it's just stuck. Double Scroll wheels for 6 seconds then release and you'll kick off the boot process again. This has worked every time - although once it took two triggers of the reboot for the screens to come back.

All in all, I love my Tesla, but right now I hate the SC experience. Colorado has had a huge increase in Teslas on the road, so I've tried to be patient, but it pisses me off that if I make an appointment my car won't be diagnosed or worked on that day, and if I have it towed because of what is obviously a Tesla issue and under warranty, there is no special consideration. It's hard enough when it's your personal vehicle, but I lose money every day my cars are in the shop. Part of the reason we only have Teslas in our fleet is because the maintenance downtime is in theory much less than an ICE vehicle, however, one trip to the SC can take my vehicle out of service for longer than an entire year's worth of ICE maintenance.
Looks somewhat like my issues. Here is the response from the SC from the Aug. 24th appointment:

"Technician performed remote and on site diagnosis. Found alerts for SD card reading error. Technician reformatted SD card on vehicles media control unit. Reinstalled latest firmware for vehicle over the air. Installed without any issues. Verified screen operating without any fault. Will need to continue to observe behavior and report back if issue persists."

So, I did report back on Friday to let them know and show them videos of the same issues reoccurring. I let them know that I was doing a 350 mile round trip on Saturday and would report back to them. I send them an update letting them know that my car is still randomly rebooting when I first open the door, this happened twice yesterday. The SiriusXM seems to randomly disappear, park assist unavailable, mirrors not tilting down or tilting back up while car is still in reverse, garage opener delays or does not work, music becomes choppy (usually a 100% indication that some warning or issues will happen within minutes).

I asked them if its time to replace the memory module (not sure if that can be done) or just replace the MCU.

One of the ways to win me over is to communicate without BS and it seems that Tesla Sterling has been communicating with me. They asked me for an update and I let them know the problem has not been resolved (also told them that perhaps its time to change the MCU), so I got another unsolicited service appointment with them. This will be my sixth service appointment regarding the same issue. My second with the Sterling SC. I will continue to update until we have a resolution.

IMG_3695.jpg

Reactions: impastu and pereiks
I had the same issue on my MX 2020 on last Saturday. I left home with black instrument cluster. After MCU reboot I got completely dead car, only remote was working. The A/C remained on. Waited ot tow car for 5 hrs (I got stranded at Costco's parking lot far from home). They ended up with just reformatting the MCU's SD card.
Today I experienced similar issues again - the instrument cluster remains black when the door is open. I sent message to Tesla already. It looks like, all 2020 models are prone to have this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and cwerdna
OP -- I cannot speak to your first issue with the 12V battery but in regards to PARKING ASSIST UNAVAILABLE, Homelink and Screen sensitivity issues I believe I was experiencing the same issues on my 2020 Model X LR+. In addition to what I listed, there's also a bug where the mirrors do not fold down when being put in reverse so I believe they're all related.

They have all since gone away even without updating to the latest software. They magically disappeared so I believe it's bug related. Please reference the below chains regarding the specific issues. It is very prevalent in 2020 Model X LR cars.

I have an appointment setup next week where they may want to replace the SD card and I'm not confident this will be a solution as the issues went away on their own.

Parking Assist Unavailable thread: Park Assist Unavailable
Homelink thread: Model S Refresh: Homelink multiple signals?

• Informative
By the way, I played with webbrowser before that happened. The webbrowser in 24.4 does not work properly - it crashes constantly, and few times even made my MCU screen irresponsive. Maybe this is somehow related to the recent event...
Yup, and you reminded me that other strange issues will occur after playing some web media in the browser. One such thing is the volume scroll wheel will stop working and requires a soft reset to fix it. AND it is an issue before 24.4 as well.

Sorry to hear about these issues. I haven’t driven my X since July due to intl travel. And I have received 3 FW updates in a week after none for months. I am concerned Tesla is flailing with these issues. I will check today to see if I have similar issues. I have a 2020 LR++

Sorry to hear about these issues. I haven’t driven my X since July due to intl travel. And I have received 3 FW updates in a week after none for months. I am concerned Tesla is flailing with these issues. I will check today to see if I have similar issues. I have a 2020 LR++
Honestly these are minor issues, but so are the features which came with recent software updates. At this point if you're not experiencing anything stated above I suggest to wait out and don't update.