Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Driver-side door won't push open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced a failure in the actuator that pushes the driver door open? I can no longer open my 2017 Model X driver door. It unlocks, and you can push it open from the inside, but it won't open by itself.

Any ideas, or do I need to get Tesla Service out? I'm out of warranty :/

...driver door...
It's a known problem that's why the warranty is only good for 4 years/50,000 miles:

Reactions: cwerdna and DeejUK
Has anyone experienced a failure in the actuator that pushes the driver door open? I can no longer open my 2017 Model X driver door. It unlocks, and you can push it open from the inside, but it won't open by itself.

Any ideas, or do I need to get Tesla Service out? I'm out of warranty :/

Yes. Twice. Mine is also 2017 MX. It's the "door pop actuator". If you want I can find the invoice and give you the part number. In the main time just climb in from the passenger side LOL.
Happened on my 1-year-old 2017 (July 2018). Mine happened to be under warranty.
Invoice with part number:
s4NWoZZ.jpg

Many thanks to everyone that's replied. I did try searching the forums before posting, but somehow managed to miss the very useful things folks have linked to here. I've had corona-lurgie all week and the door breaking was a bit of a downer, so your help has cheered me up.

I got the 4 extra years of warranty

Was this a thing that you needed to pay for when first buying the car? I don't remember that option, but I wish I'd taken it! I was supposed ot have a Model Y Performance by now...

Part cost is $12

Wowzer - is that a typo? I was expecting about 50x that price!

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
Wowzer - is that a typo? I was expecting about 50x that price!
You should be able to check the tesla parts catalog Parts Catalog

Ebay $40 USD

EVparts IT
29.40€ Ex Tax: 24.30€

Was this a thing that you needed to pay for when first buying the car? I don't remember that option, but I wish I'd taken it! I was supposed ot have a Model Y Performance by now...
Yes, I think you have to purchase it within 1 year or something. It extended the general warranty to 8 years 100,000 miles.

BTW, if you are thinking about purchasing the part and do it yourself, I noticed that you are in UK. Your driver side is our passenger side. The part number may or may not be different, so you probably want to double check with someone in UK.

How easy is this to diy?

It's happening to me right now and parts are almost a month out from Tesla. It's amazing that it's such a wide spread issue and yet so hard to get fixed. Big issue for me as the car is my family's main kid carrier and not being able to get out of the driver side door is a pretty big safety issue .

How easy is this to diy?

It's happening to me right now and parts are almost a month out from Tesla. It's amazing that it's such a wide spread issue and yet so hard to get fixed. Big issue for me as the car is my family's main kid carrier and not being able to get out of the driver side door is a pretty big safety issue .

If you are somewhat handy, have tools, it's doable. The service manual is free.

How easy is this to diy?

I literally just fixed mine yesterday. Went to the dealership, gave them the part number, they asked for my VIN and I was outta there for only $14.

Door panel is held on by like 5 10mm bolts and then a bunch of clips. Door panel can kinda hang the cables (I took mine off and it was two connections and about 6 hex bolts to remove the door handle from the door panel), and then you'll see the actuator in the middle aft of the door. Unplug connector, pull the actuator from the door, undo the pull cable.

I just replaced mine today and it is doing the exact same thing. It worked the very first time trying after replacing and then went back to not working. I noticed that the door was making all sorts of sounds the whole time I was working on it. Anyone have any ideas? I can see the actuator working with the manual door handle, but not with buttons. Door still makes weird noises if I touch or bang on the inside door panel.

Any help greatly appreciated!

I sprayed some WD40 using the straw down the cable itself, pulled on it a few times to get it to work it's way down to the internals of the latch itself. I also sprayed down the outside of the latch shooting it from inside the door and outside just to make sure it's not binding.

Reactions: josh3thayer