Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X driver side sun shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the mesh sunshade pack you can get on Amazon (I think it's 9 pieces, for each window, excluding the windshield)... The mesh driver side and passenger side covers work great - you can see out of them, and does a better job of limiting the sunlight across the whole window.

On the MY, you can drop the cover for the visor ligh
Visor 1.jpg
Visor 2.jpg
t and it drops down a few extra inches below the visor. I don't know if the MX is similar.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and gaswalla
A700C26E-2F03-4CFE-87EA-55640D06E3EC.jpeg
6088D658-7BAA-4A30-9533-D6FEBA9A37B6.jpeg
49136B76-F346-447B-A337-301601A7E6AE.jpeg
The model X sun visor does not reach the B pillar so the sun hits me in the face. Does anyone know of a product that will cover that last six inches of the window
I keep a thin but sturdy piece of black plastic material in my car that I simply slide into place when I need to block the sun coming from my left side. It sits up high on the window between the glass and the door frame so it doesn’t obstruct my view at all.

Last edited:
Agreed you shouldn't compare the different classes but actually you CAN flip down the mirror part to provide just a little more sun protection. I've done it in the front and the sides when the sun hits the right spot. But definitely form over function for the sides.
I think the OP may be referring to the gap to the left of the sun visor. I had the very same issue a couple of days ago.

I keep a thin but sturdy piece of black plastic material in my car that I simply slide into place when I need to block the sun coming from my left side. It sits up high on the window between the glass and the door frame so it doesn’t obstruct my view at all.
I came here to say something similar. I used construction paper, glued a black piece to a light piece so the black piece blocks light and the light piece is on the outside of the window to reduce heat that the black piece would otherwise absorb. A sturdy piece of plastic would work much better and I intend to find one eventually, but haven't really looked yet. My commutes have always consisted of driving into the sun with enough curves that my previous vehicles having two sun visors was very beneficial. As such, I was even considering making the more permanent piece of plastic cover the entire top of the driver door window when it's up so I could use the other visor for the front.

I came here to say something similar. I used construction paper, glued a black piece to a light piece so the black piece blocks light and the light piece is on the outside of the window to reduce heat that the black piece would otherwise absorb. A sturdy piece of plastic would work much better and I intend to find one eventually, but haven't really looked yet. My commutes have always consisted of driving into the sun with enough curves that my previous vehicles having two sun visors was very beneficial. As such, I was even considering making the more permanent piece of plastic cover the entire top of the driver door window when it's up so I could use the other visor for the front.

My material came from TAP Plastic as a large sheet, perhaps 2.5 feet x 3.5 feet. It cost a few dollars. It’s basically indestructible. My original one is the one I still use - started back with my 2012 MDX. I occasionally misplace it under the seats so I have a second one available.

Start with it a bit too large and just trim it back with scissors as needed.

My material came from TAP Plastic as a large sheet, perhaps 2.5 feet x 3.5 feet. It cost a few dollars. It’s basically indestructible. My original one is the one I still use - started back with my 2012 MDX. I occasionally misplace it under the seats so I have a second one available.

Start with it a bit too large and just trim it back with scissors as needed.
I found the site, but all of the "cut to size" pieces they offer appear to be pretty thick, like 1/8" or more. I can't tell if you got something thinner or if that thickness works well. In either case, do you remember which specific material you got?

I bought mine in person at the TAP store in Sacramento. Having just looked at the website, I completely understand your confusion.

It was cheap, certainly less than $10. I believe the material came in multiple colors - I got black. It was not a cut to order product. Imagine a piece of construction paper but made of a firm but flexible plastic, perhaps twice as thick or three times as thick (maximum) as construction paper. Absolutely no way to tear it but easy to cut a shape accurately with some fairly sharp scissors. If I can find my micrometer I’ll see if I can get you a more accurate thickness.