TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X driving forward when in reverse?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by sukhi, Jun 7, 2016.

1. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,
    Checking in after a break. (Busy days and also the fact that my wife has commandeered MX as her own :))

Anyways my wife is reporting a strange Tesla behavior and I was wondering if you have seen it as well.

She has observed at least 5-6 times that after she puts the car in reverse and presses the accelerator, the car moves forward instead of backward. At first I dismissed it as a user error thinking perhaps she had not put the car in reverse and it was in neutral on an incline. She confirmed otherwise after being extra cautious on subsequent occurrences. Next time it happened, she checked and it was definitely in reverse. It happened again today. Each time it happens, she has to brake, put the car in park and then try again.

Pretty strange and wondering if the team here had similar experience or can offer a theory.

2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Very strange, don't have a drop of a theory, but just want to add the data point that we haven't seen this behavior (yet). Stay careful - that could turn out poorly if she or you aren't paying attention. Might want to take a video showing the gear and the direction of the car next time it happens, it's always good to have documentation.

3. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Maybe it's the creep mode. Check and make sure it is set to off.

4. sukhi

sukhi Member

Thanks. I will do a few trials this weekend and videotape.

5. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

Note the time that it happens (and as others suggested get a video if possible). Notify your service center and they can look at logs. The corroborating video would be even more helpful.

6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

You would think creep in reverse should make the car go backwards. I wouldn't know because I've never turned creep on.

7. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

Get this checked out right away. The quickest way we can help to make Tesla a better brand is to report things asap so they can push out a fix for any software errors.

8. Vitold

Vitold Member

When it does happen, film it (including instrument panel showing gear status) with your phone and take it to service center - it's obviously not normal.

9. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

This weekend?... this could potentially be a serious thing. You might want to get on that.

• Like x 1
  10. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

11. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,

I realize it is potentially a serious thing. A couple of mitigating factors.

- It does not happen most of the time. In last two months it has happened only a few times so it is not easy to reproduce.
    - When backing up, the speed is really slow so my wife is able to take corrective action.

I will keep you posted. The car is going in service later this month for some trip issues and I am hoping it will get taken care of at that time.

-Sukhveer

12. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Is it possible the she has it in reverse, but the car is on a decline and when she removes her foot from the brake and starts to press the accelerator it's actually just rolling forward due to gravity? How does she get out of a parking space when this happens? Puts back in park and then reverse?

13. sukhi

sukhi Member

I thought of that as well but she does not think that is the case.

Yes she puts it back in park and then back to reverse.

14. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

One question I'd have is does it ever happen when you are in the car either driving yourself or with your wife?

15. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Dashcam?

16. sukhi

sukhi Member

No it has not happened so far but it might be statistically tough as well because we are in the car together on less than 5% of the trips and I barely ever get to drive the car on my own:)

As I said I was hoping to get a hypothesis here before arriving at any conclusion. She is going to note the time, location etc the next time it happens.

17. sukhi

sukhi Member

I do not have a dash cam and since the car is leased, I doubt Tesla will appreciate me installing anything. I am looking for a plus and play dash cam.

18. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I currently have a blackvue in my Acura which is leased, the install can easily be reversed.

I will be installing one on my X once the new version is released later this month

19. sukhi

sukhi Member

Team,
    Just wanted to report that in 10 or so reverse actions over the weekend, I have not even able to recreate the issue. I will continue to observe.

• Informative x 3
  20. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

May have been a software bug that was fixed with an OTA update.