TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X - driving on the beach?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Driver Dave, Oct 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

After lowering the tire pressure, and raising up the height, how does a Model X handle sand on a beach.

And not flat Daytona highway packed sand, but a real beach with some regular not packed sand.

Any one try that yet? Any videos? Any tips?

Thanks for any answers. I'm trading in a big SUV for X, and wondering if my sand driving days are over...

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Kind of curious on the answer.
    Con: very heavy causing more sinking than lighter vehicles
    Pro: millisecond traction control to keep 1 or 2 wheels from digging a hole

3. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I'm not sure the tires are the best for beach action. Do you have 22's or 20s? Also you will need a couple of items to go beach driving (or at least in Virginia we have too).

Attached Files:

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Does the X have 7 inches of ground clearance? Also you might want to pre-mount the tow hooks

OSV operators in designated zone must carry the following equipment:
    - A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
    - A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
    - A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1½" hardwood.
    - A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less.
    - A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long. Minimum diameter is ½" for nylon or Dacron ropes; ¾" for all other ropes; ¼" for carbon steel cable; 5/16" for chain links.

5. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

From what I've seen it has "8 inches of ground clearance, with air suspension that can add or subtract 1.5 inches."

So from previous experience, this is definitely fine for going through sand. Especially at 9.5. With the tires deflated to 15.

I do worry about not having true locked four wheel drive as I have seen many "smart" systems get themselves stuck, when shifting into pure 4x4 works better.

But definitely will be trying come summer... and yes, pre-mounted tow hooks is probably wise... and trying first so when not many people are around to gawk at the expensive electric SUV stuck in the sand if it all goes wrong. ;)

• Like x 2
  6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

7. DrivingTheFuture

Please post photos and or video along with blog when you do try! Thanks