Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - driving on the beach?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After lowering the tire pressure, and raising up the height, how does a Model X handle sand on a beach.

And not flat Daytona highway packed sand, but a real beach with some regular not packed sand.

Any one try that yet? Any videos? Any tips?

Thanks for any answers. I'm trading in a big SUV for X, and wondering if my sand driving days are over...

Does the X have 7 inches of ground clearance? Also you might want to pre-mount the tow hooks

OSV operators in designated zone must carry the following equipment:
- A shovel with a blade at least 6" square and at least 18" long.
- A vehicle jack sufficient to lift one wheel clear of the sand.
- A jack support that is at least 12"x12" of non-bending steel, 5/8" plywood or 1½" hardwood.
- A tire gauge with a minimum reading of 15 pounds or less.
- A tow rope or tow strap, chain or cable with a minimum pulling strength of 6,000 pounds and at least 10 feet long. Minimum diameter is ½" for nylon or Dacron ropes; ¾" for all other ropes; ¼" for carbon steel cable; 5/16" for chain links.

From what I've seen it has "8 inches of ground clearance, with air suspension that can add or subtract 1.5 inches."

So from previous experience, this is definitely fine for going through sand. Especially at 9.5. With the tires deflated to 15.

I do worry about not having true locked four wheel drive as I have seen many "smart" systems get themselves stuck, when shifting into pure 4x4 works better.

But definitely will be trying come summer... and yes, pre-mounted tow hooks is probably wise... and trying first so when not many people are around to gawk at the expensive electric SUV stuck in the sand if it all goes wrong. ;)

From what I've seen it has "8 inches of ground clearance, with air suspension that can add or subtract 1.5 inches."

So from previous experience, this is definitely fine for going through sand. Especially at 9.5. With the tires deflated to 15.

I do worry about not having true locked four wheel drive as I have seen many "smart" systems get themselves stuck, when shifting into pure 4x4 works better.

But definitely will be trying come summer... and yes, pre-mounted tow hooks is probably wise... and trying first so when not many people are around to gawk at the expensive electric SUV stuck in the sand if it all goes wrong. ;)
Please post photos and or video along with blog when you do try! Thanks