Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X efficiency when drafting a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
My wife and I had a rare opportunity yesterday. Circumstances required us to both make the exact same drive with both vehicles. I drive the S and my wife drives the X.

I set the cruise/EAP to 70 mph and she set her cruise/EAP to 70 mph with the following distance on level 4. The X seems to want to do 1 mph faster than the S when set at the same speed, so this worked out well.

The X used 52.56 kWh compared to the S with 52.33 kWh.

I don't know if the slight difference in miles is due to speedometer differences or TeslaFi GPS differences. In any case, we drove the same exact distance give or take a few hundred feet. The 5-minute time difference is me sitting in my S waiting for my wife to finish up in a gas station convenience store and related facilities. :D

Bottom line, the X is more or less just as energy efficient as an S, as long as you're following another vehicle.

Model S.png
Model X.png

Bottom line, the X is more or less just as energy efficient as an S, as long as you're following another vehicle.
That was an excellent comparison and data provided from TeslaFI. thanks.

Interesting results. You should repeat it when following a semi.
But, If your really want to draft you need to be much closer that that. One or two car lengths. Did that with my brother from LA to Fresno and saved a ton of gas.

Definitely do not need to do unit setting of 1 or 2 (they are not car length but time based units, BTW).

Below red boxed Wh/mi in my P90D X over 500 miles not following anyone for any regular time.
Below yellow boxed Wh/mi in my P90D X coming back but following a U-Haul truck at 7 Tesla following units. *Seven* ! 500 miles is a long test and the elevation wasn't the factor.

As well there have been a few occasions where I drafted a semi-truck at 7 units and had my energy graph up where I could see the before and after Wh/mi in a 30 mile time frame (ie. 15bef/15aft). The Wh/mi is remarkable for 7 units. Yes, we all watched the Myth Busters episode where they had to measure liquid :)

vwRINtP.jpg

Last edited: