Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Elon Musk says new SUV model due in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If only I'd work for Morgan Stanley. I would get a decent earning for writing stuff up from companies' press releases...
The Model X prototype unveiling was mentioned by Elon in the very same TM Q2 2011 financial results Q&A where he announced the Oct 1 event, too.

Go to the Q&A session:
Elon Musk The plan is to have an unveiling of the Model X prototype by the end of this year or so, probably in the mid-December timeframe...

If only I'd work for Morgan Stanley. I would get a decent earning for writing stuff up from companies' press releases...
The Model X prototype unveiling was mentioned by Elon in the very same TM Q2 2011 financial results Q&A where he announced the Oct 1 event, too.

Go to the Q&A session:

I think the implication was that MS may have had another, more recent discussion that reaffirmed plans.

I'm wondering how many Model S sales will be impacted by the Model X reveal, especially if they come out with pricing and range info in the next few months.

For me, I only need 1 vehicle for a long road trip. 4wd would be nice for going skiing, but a higher CdA (and probably more weight) would mean much higher cost to get equivalent range to Model S. The cargo capacity of Model S is pretty good already, but you know what they say about "stuff" and available space.

If I decide that Model X will be the roadtrip vehicle, I'll go for the 160 mile pack in the Model S. If I splurge for 300mi in Model S, then I may not get Model X at all and wait for bluestar.

I want my Model S so bad because it will be a revolutionary car. Never would spend so much on an ICE, though. As my kids grow up, I'd like to switch to Model X with seating for 7 adults. And I like the tow hitch which will not be available with Model S. So here is stretching my finances for the next 10 years to come.

So here is stretching my finances for the next 10 years to come.
If it's any consolation an EV should be a better value proposition in the long run considering the lower operating costs and mechanical simplicity. EV's allow cars to become more like boats, planes, and houses instead of disposables that only last 10 years on average. Plus they can actually get better over time with upgraded replacement battery packs. That's one of the reasons I don't think properly designed and constructed EV's need to be as cheap as ICE vehicles and, unlike some people, I think EV's will have high resale value. It's certainly been the case with the RAV4EV.

I think EV's will have high resale value. It's certainly been the case with the RAV4EV.

To be fair, couldn't that mainly be because they're pretty rare, you can't buy one from a dealer, and it serves a niche community that sees the value? Your average joe isn't scouring the internet trying to find one.

True, but one of the reasons the RAV4EV has good resale value is that after 10 years and over 100K miles there is nothing wrong with them. If they had major issues the prices would be far lower. As battery technology and pricing continues to improve even an EV with a reduced range pack will have a high resale value.

True, less moving parts and all. Ultimately though, it will depend on build quality too. I'd expect the Leaf to hold up better over time than say, Coda (and no, no facts or references to prove it, but the company just comes across cheap and "dinky" to me)

Though the Model X or the new RAV4EV might finally kill the resale price of the old RAV4EV. Even though there's nothing wrong with them the design is dated, the interior looks like it's been used for 10 years etc etc.

Actually we are seeing it now here in Norway. The new MiEV has just been slashed about $5000 in price this year. That means those that bought earlier this year got a decent car but due to the agressive pricing of the Leaf their resale value just took a nosedive.

The Roadster is a small scale collectors item or so Tesla hopes anyway. Model S P4XXX will be a standard Model S that there are plenty of both new and old. Model S V2 in say 5 years might be so much better that resale value for V1 will drop. That doesn't mean Model S V1 will be a bad car at all, but I would not count on the resale value beeing even remotely as good as the old RAV4EV.

We are at the beginning of a whole new type of cars, and a rather rapid development is natural. After all the new Ford Explorer is just a small improvement over last years model, but I'm guessing it's a lot better than the very first "small" SUV from Ford?

Cobos

As Outsider said it will all come down to build quality. If the rest of the vehicle is built to take advantage of the potential longer life of the electric motor and components then cars can be long term investments. If the idea of planned obsolescence is continued then nothing will change, though I argue that entire concept is not sustainable in the long run. Our disposable society is a dead end. Worth watching if you're interested in the topic Lightbulb Conspiracy