Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Elon Musk says new SUV model due in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model X teased ahead of February unveiling

10228986831041283357.jpg

Larry

SUVs the top choice for Kiwi car buyers - Motoring - NZ Herald News

SUVs now dominate the market, enjoying a 29 per cent share after 18,684 models were sold in 2011.

A New Zealand article, but if this is right

"What we're seeing is not unique to New Zealand. Many overseas markets are experiencing similar changes. Lifestyle demands and the perceived advantages of SUVs means that they'll continue to dominate markets for the foreseeable future."

it suggests Tesla is on the right track developing the Model X next after the S

Yeah, Tesla has been pretty good at keeping the wraps on stuff. The largest leak is probably Elon himself.

This isn't surprising given the huge dedication of the employees and their very strong desire to continue their employ. Yet another reason that I'm happy with my TSLA investment. :smile:

From Wikipedia:

In October 2008, after Musk had confirmed an earlier report that Tesla Motors had only $9 million in cash, he was reported to have hired an outside IT contractor to go through all of the company's email and instant messages, then had a forensic investigator lift fingerprints from a printout discarded near a copier used to leak the email. The email implicated employee Peng Zhou as the source of the company's reported financial status. Zhou had sought to frame other employees at Tesla by claiming in his leaked emails that he was a four-year employee. Musk offered Zhou the option of apologizing to the company and resigning, which he did, rather than face prosecution.

After Zhou separated from Tesla Motors, Musk was reported attempting to catch employees who leaked Tesla Motors corporate secrets, without the prior knowledge of other Tesla Motors executives, by sending each employee a slightly altered version of a memo which Musk expected would be leaked to the media. The plan backfired when general counsel Craig Harding forwarded his own personalized copy of the memo along with a new, stricter nondisclosure agreement mentioned in the memo to other employees, nullifying the plan

Apparently he sent out a memo to a large number of people with each one slightly different. Hopefully to see who’s version was leaked. But someone else replied the whole company and copied his version so the plan was thwarted.

I don’t remember where I read this.

It was originally reported by the now defunct "Valleywag" (they got absorbed back into normal Gawker):
http://gawker.com/5164035/?tag=television

Same news on autobloggreen:
http://green.autoblog.com/2009/03/05/not-at-all-quiet-on-the-western-front-is-elon-musk-questioning/

I think the new stricter non-disclosure-agreement mentioned in the article had a bigger part to do with it, than the short "leak probe" Elon tried to do (but failed).

Plus, back then most of the leaked news that was reported was negative news (as expected of Valleywag, which deals with silicon valley gossip. I guess that responsibility fell to Jalopnik, which still calls everything Tesla plans to make as "vaporware". Gizmodo articles tend to focus more on the tech and is more positive). Now that Tesla is a public company, it's even more important to control leaks (esp. ones that may be distorted in order to provide gossip). If Valleywag still existed and still had a long term inside tipster in Tesla, they could deal a lot of damage to Tesla.

Last edited:
The media coverage of the model X is quite extensive. It's coming up on my Google News feed with something like 150 related articles. Reactions aside, just the fact it's getting that big a splash seems like a good thing for Tesla's name recognition.