Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - emergency open driver door?

Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. Is there an emergency mechanism for opening the Model X (2017) driver door in the event of a motor/power failure?

My driver door has been continuing to deteriorate, and now is stuck in an 'open' state where the window is pulled down, the car thinks the door is open, but it's actually closed and will not move either in or out. Hence there's going to be incessant beeping while we try to drive.

I seem to recall that under the speaker grill there's an emergency latch mechanism or something, but I'm not keen yanking bits of the car off without knowing what I'm doing, and most of the guidance I can find is for opening the falcon wing doors, rather than the driver door.

Any help much appreciated!
 
Ah - whilst not an answer to the specific question I asked, I did manage to unb0rk my door. Pulling the inside door handle all the way for 5-10 seconds, and then trying to open the door with another full handle-pull seemed to clear the problem. The motors are still screwed, but that's getting a service appointment next week.

Hopefully this information is useful to anyone else that finds themselves in the same predicament in the future.
 
I seem to recall that under the speaker grill there's an emergency latch mechanism or something

That procedure is only for the falcon wing doors.

In all pre-Palladium Model S/X, both front door interior handles are physically connected to the door latch with a cable. The first 20% or so of the handle pull/travel activates the electronic actuator inside the door latch, the other 80% or so actually pulls a cable that is connected to the latch in order to release the door.

1624547409928.png
 

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top