Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Energy Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What size wheels?

Another contributing factor is the new tires. It should improve as they break in.

What size wheels do you all have? Thanks!

We're also tracking these figures in this thread...

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

I've made some assumptions from these posts to put in my spreadsheet but so far the 22' wheels show a significantly more than 15% range hit. Perhaps some of these higher Wh/m numbers are actually 20's but the numbers are showing 355 for 20's and 425 for 22's.

The stock 20's, continental. 9200 miles

Damn. Reading this is depressing. I'm utterly ineficient. 90D, 22', 1700 miles, 442wh/mi.

I try not to drive aggressively and use TACC as much as possible. Mostly short trips though. Rarely using AC.

I must be doing something wrong. I guess I'll get better as I accumulate more miles to reach those numbers you guys have been posting.

Just did a long road trip Charlotte, NC to San Antonio, TX 2800 miles.. Cruse Control mostly set at 10mph above during the day and 5 above during the night. The trip in total was just over 2800 miles with a average consumption of just under 400 Wh/mi.. Really drove it like a regular car (ok supercar) and only had a few under 20 miles to the supercharger scary moments.. On the trip both the Heat and the AC were on to maintain the cabin at 72...

I think 400 wh/mi is my number for calculating my range... Model X P100DL Standard 20 in Tires..

I also weekly from Charlotte to Banner Elk, NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The drive is 110 miles starting at an altitude of 570 feet and ending at 4300 ft with a total gain of altitude of 3700 feet not counting ups/downs... I burn about 170 miles of battery capacity. Some climbs I pull over 1000 wh/mi on cruse control set at 10 over speed limit of 50 mph on the steep climbs.

Just did a long road trip Charlotte, NC to San Antonio, TX 2800 miles.. Cruse Control mostly set at 10mph above during the day and 5 above during the night. The trip in total was just over 2800 miles with a average consumption of just under 400 Wh/mi.. Really drove it like a regular car (ok supercar) and only had a few under 20 miles to the supercharger scary moments.. On the trip both the Heat and the AC were on to maintain the cabin at 72...

I think 400 wh/mi is my number for calculating my range... Model X P100DL Standard 20 in Tires..

I also weekly from Charlotte to Banner Elk, NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The drive is 110 miles starting at an altitude of 570 feet and ending at 4300 ft with a total gain of altitude of 3700 feet not counting ups/downs... I burn about 170 miles of battery capacity. Some climbs I pull over 1000 wh/mi on cruse control set at 10 over speed limit of 50 mph on the steep climbs.

In freezing weather and mostly at 75-85 mph, that seems like a reasonable number (I think the speed limit is 70-75 for most of that drive to Texas?)

thanks for your feedback... I am not trying to eek out the longest range out of the car.... The 400 wh/mi is my pragmatic number.. I just want to drive not worry and the extra few minutes at a supercharger is better than having concerns creep into my head... I am not so smart so I want to keep the math simple...

Sig P90D with 5,786 miles in 11 months of ownership in Miami, Florida. Lifetime 455 Wh/mi. No towing, 22" wheels, mostly city driving. Had a loud compressor fixed about a month after delivery. Not happy at all with real world range of ~197 miles.

First 500 miles in two weeks mostly around Boston driving heat set to 70 degrees and lots of short trips shuttling the kids around. 22" wheels P90D. Averaging 530 Wh/Mile. must...get...20" wheels!
With only 500 miles on the tires (if they are new) you're just barely getting them broken in. They'll get more efficient for sure.

thanks for your feedback... I am not trying to eek out the longest range out of the car.... The 400 wh/mi is my pragmatic number.. I just want to drive not worry and the extra few minutes at a supercharger is better than having concerns creep into my head... I am not so smart so I want to keep the math simple...
This is great information for sure. Thanks for contributing. What is your lifetime Wh/m. Should be in the tripmeter screen.

Thanks!

With only 500 miles on the tires (if they are new) you're just barely getting them broken in. They'll get more efficient for sure.

The wheels and Tires are brand new. Thanks for that bit of info. I've see this behavior on other cars so it does make sense. The tires/wheels, the cold weather and city driving are all playing a part. If 530 Wh/Mile the worse that I see in terms of energy usage, then I'll be a happy camper.

I think I need to get out of these 22" Wheels anyway; they look fantastic but they are going to get destroyed on Boston's tough roads and I'll get a range boost lighter 21's or 20's