Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Energy Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got delivered P100D a week ago so with my limited experience, X consumes approx 10% more energy than S on highway, 20% more on normal city traffic, 30% more in stop and go traffic.

Per wk057 S P90D is approx 310Wh/m and X P100D is 343Wh/m. That's 10%. However X is much heavier and have bigger cabin space hence higher A/C consumption in slower speed and stop/go.

Having moved from a Model S, I am disappointed by the Rated Range.

In my Model S, I could achieve the target 200wh/km (300wh/mi) when neccesary even in the dead of winter. I'll admit it took sufficient driver concentration and lowest possible heat, but it was always within reach.

I was surprised to see the Model X's rated range based on an identical 200wh/km despite being bigger and heavier. It really should be proportionally higher even if that means a lower, more realistic total mileage.

I've only had the Model X for two months but I doubt I will ever hit the target number. I drove from Montreal to Toronto last night with autopilot at 100km/h (62mph) and heat COMPLETELY off. The lowest I ever managed was 260wh/km (390wh/mi).

I assume my winter tires have something to do with that but still.

I was surprised to see the Model X's rated range based on an identical 200wh/km despite being bigger and heavier. It really should be proportionally higher even if that means a lower, more realistic total mileage.
The rated consumption on the X is higher than on the S. From @wk057's recent thread:
  • All RWD Cars (non-Performance and Performance): 295 Wh/Rated Mile
  • All Pre-refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance: 290 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Refresh Model S Dual Motor, non-Performance under 100 kWh: 285 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, non-Performance under 100 kWh: 320 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model S Dual Motor, Performance under 100 kWh: 310 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, Performance under 100 kWh: 333 Wh/Rated Mile
  • Model X Dual Motor, Performance 100 kWh: 342 Wh/Rated Mile

I run at about 298Wh/mi on my RWD Model S (vs the rated 295), and in the ballpark of 328Wh/mi on my X90D (vs the rated 320). So I find that I'm pretty close to rated.

I did notice that my consumption on the X improved dramatically over time. My last 1000 non-towing miles average right around 320Wh/mi, even though it's been raining and cool here. My last 200 miles are under 300Wh/mi, but that could just be the specific driving conditions.

My X goes into annual service and 12v battery replacement on Tue. The loud compressor is one of the concerns on the list but i doubt they will find anything in the winter or fix it on this trip
If you need me to bring mine in, I can try to meet you in Rocklin. There is no excuse for the loud compressor. Once it's fixed, it sounds appropriate and the car is more efficient. I wouldn't take "no" for an answer. If they need another X to compare to, I am happy to bring my reasonable sounding vehicle to purr in their ears.

Reactions: xkwizit
GREAT thread! Really love this data. This coming weekend I'm finally jumping ship to a MX 75D (pickup in Tampa, FL on Saturday, and instantly spend 2.5 days driving 1200+ miles back home to Ohio). I'll be curious to compare my range (wh/mi efficiency dynamics) to my Model S vehicles that preceded it.

For me the benchmark is the 2016 face-lifted 70D that had 292 wh/mi average over the 11,500 miles I owned it (7 months). In the winter time it was obviously worse, and 75% of those miles were summer/fall. Still, as others noted in this thread, it was darn close to the rated 300.

My 75D Model S has the optional 22" wheels, though it sounds like some people claim the 10-15% loss was overzealous, and it isn't quite that bad. It will be interesting to see, since the first half of my drive home should be 60+ F temps-- but then as I hit Kentucky and into Ohio, it will be 35 or below temps for sure, with some snow. If people on this thread want, I can post logs between each SC as I'll be driving over 2.5 days direct from Tampa, FL to Cleveland, OH.

Reactions: hiroshiy
It's a good question, but it vary so much on the temperature and type of driving you do !

Here my statistics since my delivery of last june (and added the temperature to show the correlation)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 2.03.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 2.03.30 PM.png
    365.5 KB · Views: 91
I run at about 298Wh/mi on my RWD Model S (vs the rated 295), and in the ballpark of 328Wh/mi on my X90D (vs the rated 320). So I find that I'm pretty close to rated.

I did notice that my consumption on the X improved dramatically over time. My last 1000 non-towing miles average right around 320Wh/mi, even though it's been raining and cool here. My last 200 miles are under 300Wh/mi, but that could just be the specific driving conditions.
I can't believe how close you get to the rated mileage, @ohmman. I'm truly impressed, you have much more discipline than me. I won't tell you my numbers (mainly because I don't want to look). My New Years resolution is to mellow out on the accelerator pedal.

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy and ohmman
Mx75d : about 900 miles on the car in Connecticut (winter months) averaging 400-425wh/m ... much higher than my MS : which was about 320-330 with 34k miles lifetime.

I'm not too worried, and you are right ... almost all my trips are under 20mi. But it's not an apples to apples comparison with the MS which has seen 2 summers while MX is a newborn with only winter experience. I'm sure the average will drop once the weather warms up!
Cheers
What size wheels?

Another contributing factor is the new tires. It should improve as they break in.

Hi, we took our x on a 3k round trip and the temputure was around 5-20 and I have calculated the average loss in energy was around 20-25% lost. We are still in the winter and after our road trip. All my route now I can predict what my end miles will be within 95% estimated.

We haven't had it in the summer time yet, so I don't know about the lost in that area.

In Maine I'm average 420 w/h

I'm averaging 360-380.

I average 450

After 9 months 14.5K miles, the average for my X Is 353

Just shy of 20k miles, overall avg 362Wh/mi but often see 450 these winter days, sometimes even 600 briefly (during pack heating I presume)
What size wheels do you all have? Thanks!

We're also tracking these figures in this thread...

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

I've made some assumptions from these posts to put in my spreadsheet but so far the 22' wheels show a significantly more than 15% range hit. Perhaps some of these higher Wh/m numbers are actually 20's but the numbers are showing 355 for 20's and 425 for 22's.