Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Energy Graph and Snow Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many others, I got stuck in the Christmas Holiday traffic and then power outage at Lake Tahoe. With power out, all but one SuperCharger was out, and of course gas stations could not pump fuel either. With no heat in Time Share we made a dash to Reno to get a hotel, Hiway 80 was closed for us to go home in Sonoma County. Hiway 50 , no help either. After staying Reno a couple days there was word that 80 was being intermittently opened so we decided to head back and at least make it to Truckee. This is where I may have spooked myself by watching the energy graph. We left Reno to make the 25 mile journey to Truckee with about 200 range, or 65% charge. Traffic held us to a speed of 1-3 miles/hour unless we were at a complete stop. That is when I observed that the energy graph was indicating we were using about 1200Wh/mi. Clearly this was not due to speed but due to the fact we were just barely moving, yet using energy for heat, wipers, etc. My mental calculation concerned me if we kept at these conditions, even for as little as 25 miles. Lets face it, even at an average of 2 MPH that is a 12 hour journey.

Bottom line, we turned around, got a full 300 mile charge at Reno, and made a second attempt at Truckee and as luck would have it, traffic was actually better, and we got to roll along at 5 to 10 MPH. Got there, no issues, power was back on at the Safeway Super Charger which had a line, and several non working chargers, but no big deal.

I do have an ICE vehicle alternative, and for me, I think I will remove a little anxiety the next trip and use it. Yes I do realize that with large scale power outages, gas pumps do not work either but feel I might stand a better chance with ICE. The X did perform well in the snow, as it has done in the past.

Reactions: scottf200
i had a similar issue with one of my X's. Essentially I turned off my cabin heat and just put on my snow jacket. Because there is no engine running, snow piles up on the hood as well.

The heat pump in the new models should help as long as it isn't TOO cold. In cold climates, make sure you have way more charge than you need