Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Enhanced Autopilot Add On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I recently purchased a preowned 2016 Tesla Model X, It doesn't have Autopilot, or Radar Cruise Control. Am I able to add Enhanced Autopilot to this vehicle if I bring it to Tesla?

All Model Xs have the hardware for Autopilot. With a 2016, it might be first generation Autopilot with one camera and the Mobileye chip or it might be second generation with eight cameras - they started building those in October of 2016.

In either case, tiring on Autopilot and radar cruise control is simply a matter of bringing it to the service center and paying Tesla for it. (You might be able to to do it over the air without a service center visit if you call them instead.)

Going from first generation to enhanced AP isn't offered by Tesla and would require a bunch of new parts and wiring.

All Model Xs have the hardware for Autopilot. With a 2016, it might be first generation Autopilot with one camera and the Mobileye chip or it might be second generation with eight cameras - they started building those in October of 2016.

In either case, tiring on Autopilot and radar cruise control is simply a matter of bringing it to the service center and paying Tesla for it. (You might be able to to do it over the air without a service center visit if you call them instead.)

Going from first generation to enhanced AP isn't offered by Tesla and would require a bunch of new parts and wiring.
Thanks for the reply, how would I know which gen AP I got? thanks

Thanks for the reply, how would I know which gen AP I got? thanks

Easiest way is to look at the turn signal in the front fender. If it's a solid silver triangle that's nearly flush with the body, is AP1.

If it's mostly black and bulges out and has a lens coming out the rear of it, that's AP2.

AP1:

il_fullxfull.1299519197_g4jz.jpg

AP2 - upside down for some bizarre reason:

s-l225.jpg

Great Information thank you, looks like it has AP1. Is there a way to upgrade to AP2?

Yeah, honestly, a lot of people with AP1 still feel like it's performing as well as or better than AP2, so if anything you got a killer deal. one day AP2 will sport fancier features compared to AP1, but today, there's a lot of AP2 customers who feel like so far during their year of ownership, they would've been better off with AP1.

Yeah, honestly, a lot of people with AP1 still feel like it's performing as well as or better than AP2, so if anything you got a killer deal. one day AP2 will sport fancier features compared to AP1, but today, there's a lot of AP2 customers who feel like so far during their year of ownership, they would've been better off with AP1.
Thanks! makes me feel better now knowing I wasn't ducked. :)