Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X excessive data usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just accepted delivery of an inventory Model X 100D that had a deep discount even though it only had 45 miles on the ODO. Decided to fly down to Tempe, AZ to pick it up instead of paying $2,000 to have it transported since 2 flights and 2 hotel nights was $800. Drove it back to Seattle over 3 days. Fun drive and had a blast... working on a post now.

So the car has been home for a week as of today (almost exactly as I write this). I hooked our car up to our wifi as soon as we got home to make sure we get the latest firmware. Since then the car has uploaded a whopping 13.6GB of data. I know they are sharing AP data and we heavily used AP on the way back from Tempe but this seems like a lot of data. At this rate the car will be using over 50 GB per month.

Anyone have any similar stories? Not sure if this is a backlog of data from the 1,700 mile road trip or if this is from our daily 50 mile (round trip) commute.

EDIT: In case people are wondering the images come from the Ubiquiti Unifi networking setup. Technically meant for small/medium commercial installations we have a large 3 floor house and needed some high end networking equipment.

Album: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

vcYM3xS.png

I just accepted delivery of an inventory Model X 100D that had a deep discount even though it only had 45 miles on the ODO. Decided to fly down to Tempe, AZ to pick it up instead of paying $2,000 to have it transported since 2 flights and 2 hotel nights was $800. Drove it back to Seattle over 3 days. Fun drive and had a blast... working on a post now.

So the car has been home for a week as of today (almost exactly as I write this). I hooked our car up to our wifi as soon as we got home to make sure we get the latest firmware. Since then the car has uploaded a whopping 13.6GB of data. I know they are sharing AP data and we heavily used AP on the way back from Tempe but this seems like a lot of data. At this rate the car will be using over 50 GB per month.

Anyone have any similar stories? Not sure if this is a backlog of data from the 1,700 mile road trip or if this is from our daily 50 mile (round trip) commute.

EDIT: In case people are wondering the images come from the Ubiquiti Unifi networking setup. Technically meant for small/medium commercial installations we have a large 3 floor house and needed some high end networking equipment.

vcYM3xS.png
My car predates the AP hardware, so that may be why I don't see similar for my S. Recently Tesla has said that small video segments can be uploaded... perhaps that accounts for it?

PS- Ubiquiti is good stuff, use it at my house too.

My car predates the AP hardware, so that may be why I don't see similar for my S. Recently Tesla has said that small video segments can be uploaded... perhaps that accounts for it?

PS- Ubiquiti is good stuff, use it at my house too.

Could be, hoping I can confirm with someone else.

Yeah Ubiquiti has been rock solid for a larger (3900 sq ft, 3 floor) house. 3 POE switches, USG, 3 AP Pros one of which is now in the garage. :)

I also found out the hard way that Tesla's don't like being on the same network as a DLNA/Plex server. It kept disconnecting so I had to make it's own wireless network with it's own VLAN.

I have a USG-Pro, a 48 Port US-48-500w, AC-HD and a AC-Pro. The POE switch also powers my surveillance cameras around the house. The equipment is rock solid for sure. I always feel their software stuff (be it the controller or the firmware) is very Tesla-like. For every new feature they add they break a few other things that will be fixed on the next (beta) release. Everyone is a beta tester for their hardware/software. They also sell features that don’t exist at the time of product release (ex: firewall rules for USG in controller). However overall they work just fine passing traffic between devices.

Another issue is noise level. Both USG-Pro and US-48-500w have fans inside and they are loud. I have replaced them with quieter fans but they still make noise if I open the closet for ventilation in the summer.

What's a big discount?

I too am in Seattle and have eyed a few inventory cars in CA ... thought if we did move I'd do the same thing.

Right now only seeing $4-8k off some of the models and they are touting that as discount even though they are not factoring the 100D $3.5k price drop.
Good news is my build I like they have numerous in inventory.

What's a big discount?

I too am in Seattle and have eyed a few inventory cars in CA ... thought if we did move I'd do the same thing.

Right now only seeing $4-8k off some of the models and they are touting that as discount even though they are not factoring the 100D $3.5k price drop.
Good news is my build I like they have numerous in inventory.

I got around $8k. Which I guess for a company that doesn't negotiate I considered that a large discount on something brand new. Also grabbed that sweet 0.99% financing via Chase.

I have a USG-Pro, a 48 Port US-48-500w, AC-HD and a AC-Pro. The POE switch also powers my surveillance cameras around the house. The equipment is rock solid for sure. I always feel their software stuff (be it the controller or the firmware) is very Tesla-like. For every new feature they add they break a few other things that will be fixed on the next (beta) release. Everyone is a beta tester for their hardware/software. They also sell features that don’t exist at the time of product release (ex: firewall rules for USG in controller). However overall they work just fine passing traffic between devices.

Another issue is noise level. Both USG-Pro and US-48-500w have fans inside and they are loud. I have replaced them with quieter fans but they still make noise if I open the closet for ventilation in the summer.

I'll probably need to get a 24 port for my networking closet upstairs. Right now I only have an 8 and 2 of the ports are taken up by upstream (USG) and CloudKey. I have 21 ethernet drops in the closet. The builder looked at me like I was crazy when I requested an ethernet drop in our under stairs closet and garage.

Agree that's solid congrats.... I'm going to see if anything is said or done early q4

If you want a discount you have to aim for end of quarter. The discounts are happening now because we're about to end Q3. I have an OA I'd recommend if you want. She was great with our requests including giving us an overnight loaner on the same day we made the request.

Tesla OAs are a bit deceptive with their "discounts". Over the past 2months there were two price adjustments of 3500 and 3000. Combine with a referral discount and you have 8500 discount. They even will show you the retail price as higher to trick you into believing the inventory car is a better deal than custom. I would price it out to a new custom car and then compare the price. It may not be as big of a discount as it seems.

vcYM3xS.png
they are just gathering data about your travels for autopilot, FCW and other subsystems debugging.
A bit of discussion about it is here: Massive data uploads since 2017.34 2448cfc

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200 and Xtek
Another Unifi user here, and I am not seeing the massive amount of data usage, but also have not done any road trips since the more recent Tesla updates (last road trip was to Las Vegas in late July for Defcon).
they seem to be targeting users that root their cars and not push the triggers to them or some such. So if you got on their radar before somehow, that's might be what's happening.

Last edited: