Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X extended/overnight test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an X for 24 hours. It’s easier to do during the week than on weekends and you need to show that you’re serious. Perhaps the fact I already had HPWCs installed for charging convinced them? :D But they definitely do do it, it’s a matter of availability and scheduling since the same cars are used for loaners.

Yes they do. My wife and I scheduled a regular test drive but asked before we showed up, that if we liked it after the at-store test drive, could we take it for 24hr. They made it happen.

It was very helpful. We where able to see how it fit in the garage and then we where able to drive the MX to work, lunch, etc... By the time we brought it back to the SC our mind was made up. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yes they do. My wife and I scheduled a regular test drive but asked before we showed up, that if we liked it after the at-store test drive, could we take it for 24hr. They made it happen.

It was very helpful. We where able to see how it fit in the garage and then we where able to drive the MX to work, lunch, etc... By the time we brought it back to the SC our mind was made up. Hope this helps.
Have to add, they also do 'short term garage fit' tests, but as was said here, having it for the whole day and doing a real test drive, multiple tests in the garage, driving around town, perhaps a drive to a Supercharger (as we did), is really an excellent test of how you like it. Also gives you a real test of AP without Sales people in the car. :D

They do. I was torn between a getting a 6 seater vs a 7 seater. I ended up having an overnight test drive for a 6 seater for a Friday overnight, returned it and got a 7 seater for Saturday overnight. It really helped me make a decision with the kids at the back seat going around with our normal weekend routine.

After a couple of short accompanied test drives it was no problem arranging a weekend test drive here in the UK. Although I did actually order the car ahead of the extended test drive as the finance rate was about to go up and I didn't want to miss out. Luckily it was as good as I'd expected from the short test drives!

We placed an order for a Model X on Saturday morning and called the local Gallery for a test drive. We were lucky to hit them when they had a Model X available for a 24 hour test drive - and was able to do multiple trips around town and take it home to do a more thorough test of the storage capacity and using the falcon wing doors in our garage (parked next to our S 100D).

That test drive was much more valuable than doing a standard short test drive. We were able to look at the different configurations for using storage - verify how we'd be able to store our golf clubs (golf bags will fit front-to-back, which is better than squeezing in two bags side-to-side in the back of our S.

The extended test drive confirmed we made the right decision on the X - and that we definitely wanted the 7 passenger configuration.

For a car at this price range - would strongly recommend a longer test drive, so you're confident in the configuration you'll be ordering.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
They do. I was torn between a getting a 6 seater vs a 7 seater. I ended up having an overnight test drive for a 6 seater for a Friday overnight, returned it and got a 7 seater for Saturday overnight. It really helped me make a decision with the kids at the back seat going around with our normal weekend routine.

I went through the same struggle, so what did you end up getting?

Etiquitte is that if a very positive test drive would induce you to order a Tesla, then you should ask for a loan.

If you just are wanting to drive an X for fun for a couple days, then maybe not.

WARNING! Tesla test drives will make most want one...really bad.

As we live 828 km from the nearest (Montreal) location, I asked if we took the time to drive up and stay overnight if this was possible to have it overnight.
Nope, best we can hope for is 15 minutes.
Gotta think that driving 8 hours each way would show we're serious. maybe they think this sale is already in the bag as I've been driving another EV for 4 years and have displayed a fair bit of research completed.
They would be wrong, especially as we are seeing a fairly high level of delivery issues with the X that would be difficult to deal with so far away.
I'm thinking this purchase is close to being delayed another year while we see how things go.

As we live 828 km from the nearest (Montreal) location, I asked if we took the time to drive up and stay overnight if this was possible to have it overnight.
Nope, best we can hope for is 15 minutes.
Gotta think that driving 8 hours each way would show we're serious. maybe they think this sale is already in the bag as I've been driving another EV for 4 years and have displayed a fair bit of research completed.
They would be wrong, especially as we are seeing a fairly high level of delivery issues with the X that would be difficult to deal with so far away.
I'm thinking this purchase is close to being delayed another year while we see how things go.

Call their bluff - extended test drive or no sale. I think given your distance it's not unreasonable.

Will definitely do that if we can resolve the service at 800 km away issues (supposedly soon to be ONLY 600 km away)

As much as I love my Model X, I don't think I'd be up for owning one that far away from a Tesla service centre. It's not that I've had any serious issues to date, but I have had 1 quick visit to the SC to resolve a boot sensor problem that would have been totally impractical 800 km away (our local SC is only 12 miles away, so very easy to pop over if I need any help).